Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

We got in just under an hour yesterday. It was cold and snowy, but the snow was very soft and not yet trampled and slick. I am finally starting to get my snap back. It was nice to be out and not feel like I was dragging myself to get through it.

I've run 2 days in a row! 1.5 miles yesterday (doing strength training first was really dumb) and 3 miles today. It's a start. And the snow and ice ought to be melting over the next week, so I'll be back outside before long1

I'm starting to get my running legs back as well. Driving the kids home last night I kept day-dreaming about a nice "long run." That hasn't happened in a long time! I was supposed to run 6 this morning but it was so bitter, low single digits. I flipped my training runs, did 3 this morning and will do the 6 tomorrow. The kicker is that when I checked the weather this afternoon--it's supposed to be even colder tomorrow morning. Ugh.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Good job running in all that snow and cold temps! I had a good 7 mile run this AM. Weather was quite good for today. Cool but still shorts and short sleeve running temp, very foggy so no sun and a bit humid, but overall good for a run! I have a 15K next weekend...not prepared as usual!

K
    katluvr

I've been blowing off my runs something awful. I finally re-did my training plan for the next half (in April) because I felt so far behind that there was no way I was going to get back on track. So the new plan starts with last night and I did an easy 2 miles on the treadmill as part of it.

Tonight will be a 5 mile tempo run but I'm going to have to do it on the treadmill again because I've been having some digestive issues and I don't want to be too far from a bathroom. It's a bummer too, because it's so much warmer here now and it's actually not raining at the moment... But I just don't want to take any chances. By the weekend, I should be back to my normal digestive-self and I'll be able to get back outside!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Back to the treadmill yet again. It was plenty warm (50F) and all the snow and ice has melted, but the wind's howling. It would have built character to run outside in that, but that's not on the training plan for this week! So I chugged away for 4 miles.

A question for y'all: is it ever OK to offer unsolicited advice to another runner? There was a woman a couple treadmills away who's form caught my eye. She started out hunched over and over-striding; she was working hard to keep up with a speed that was clearly too much for her and it kept getting worse. I didn't say anything, but I sure wanted to-- and I'd decided that if we were in the locker room at the same time, I might. Bet a more supportive bra and a slightly shorter stride would help her tremendously...

This is always a hard call to make Skhill. I've had to to bite my tongue when seeing how bad someone's form is. I rarely say anything, unless it is something so obvious that is going to lead to serious injury. Thankfully I've some friends among the fitness professionals at my gym and I've been known to occasionally draw their attention to someone like that. I rarely do it, and they know how best to approach someone. More rarely, like this morning, I will say something if I can present it in a positive way.

A shorter stride would certainly be kinder to her hamstrings, I've learned that painful price about over-striding.

Well, when I was an instructor I was very strict about giving feedback, but, I always asked.
    My experience has been as a bike leader is that some people just get furious, even though it's part of the job, despite the fact that sometimes it is safety related. Others are eternally grateful, because you've usually made their life easier.
    Last edited by Crankin; 02-20-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quick 3 miles today. I was going to take it really easy, but felt good so pushed it a bit. I have a 15K race tomorrow followed by the 5K with friends (I'll walk or job slowly the second race). It's warm, sunny, a bit humid. It's been early spring here this week. I have enjoyed it!
    katluvr

Hope you had fun this morning kat!

skhill, I don't think I would unless it was someone I knew. I've been the recipient of unsolicited cycling form advice from riding buddies, and that was cool with me, but it would've been a little creepy coming from a complete stranger, I think. Next time bring your favorite running form book to the gym and wave it around.

I'm proud of myself today. Remember I said I suck at pacing? I must finally be getting my target race pace drilled into me, because my splits today were 8:44, 8:42, 8:41, 8:42, 8:45, 8:44, 8:38, 8:38, 8:39, 8:40. That, a warmup, some drills, some strides, and $5 will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oakleaf - please forgive what is probably a silly question, but what distance are your splits? Is that a standard distance? It sounds like you did great!

Not a silly question at all! Those are mile splits and I probably should've said so. Goal pace is 8:35-8:46.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Not a silly question at all! Those are mile splits and I probably should've said so. Goal pace is 8:35-8:46.
    I had wondered if that were the case. I think that is a GREAT split! My idea of a great mile pace right now is <11 minutes ONE mile. That includes walking. I will be changing that, you and the other running TE women give me goals to reach for!

Late posting but I did my 15K yesterday. It was VERY humid (that is an understatement). it didn't rain but there was enough moisture in the air to be rain. It was in the low 70's but with that humidity it was a bit stifling. As I have said here many times I am slow. I felt good yesterday AM. I admit I started a bit too fast. I was in the back of a big pack and took me about 1 mile to catch the 11:30 minute mile pace group. But then I did start behind them and I like to start slow. I kept weaving and passing (tons of runners). About mile 3 I caught the 11 minute mile group...I clocked them, they were running about 10:30. I kept a good pace until I felt the fatigue at mile 5 or 6-ish. I knew my pace was a bit quick for 9.3 miles. It was mile 7 when I had to slow and started walk breaks at the water stops. But I had fun and managed an 11 minute mile pace overall...my goal was met. IF it was cooler I think I might of kept up my faster pace a bit longer. I rushed through the drink/medal area to catch up with my friends doing the 5K. I did a slow jog/walk 5K with my partner. I really wanted to walk the whole thing, but jogged along with her for the 5K. I was pretty done by the end of that all!
    Feel fine today. Quads a bit tight, but ITB and my feet are fine today. Hope to be on the bike tomorrow!

K
    katluvr

Great job, Oak!

I was supposed to run 8 yesterday but I did something really odd to my right foot on Friday. My arch was killing me and I can't figure out why. I've been trying to rest it and take it easy and it's been improving every day so I'm going to keep going with my plan. Yesterday I did a long haul on the elliptical and then swam for a half hour in place of my run. Boy, would I rather have been running!

Oddly enough, it feels better if I'm barefoot or in a pair of my casual, no support shoes. My mostly rubber waterproof dog-walking shoes hurt it quite a bit this morning. Maybe it's shoe-choice related? Very strange!

My next scheduled run is tomorrow, but I'll be taking the day off from work to hike with some friends, so I probably won't run anyway. Wednesday will be the next test. Fingers crossed that it's OK by then!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom