Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

29er Carbon Wheelset...worth it?

To disable ads, please log-in.

My husband said that I can start looking into buying the Specialized Fate Expert 2013 (which has an alloy wheelset) that is on sale at a nearby LBS. Unfortunately, I would have to pay $900 to upgrade to the current 2014 Specialized Fate Expert's Carbon Wheelset.

Is it worth it? Do the Carbon Wheelsets really ride that much better?
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

Do you race?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I do not race. But I do enjoy riding with a good bike (unfortunately, I can feel the difference between the intermediate level models and the basic models....and obviously the very expensive, out-of-my price range models). I also have to keep up with my very athletic husband, whose current mountain bike and my potential future mountain bike will be weighing exactly the same - 22pounds. I figure, I need all the help that I can get????
    2014 Liv Lust

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

This is the way I see it. Do you need them? No, but if you want them and can afford them there's no reason why you shouldn't have them.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I am generally not a fan of carbon wheels on mountain or cross bikes. The risk of damaging them out weighs the benefits IMHO.

Having said that, I've looked into these wheels and they are quite light for the cost and carbon factor. So, if you want to go carbon, they seem like a good deal. They also claim to have reduced the likely hood of damage to the rim through some changes in how the rims are shaped.

I'm pretty sure you could get a really good (and nearly as light) pair of wheels with alloy rims for less money if you had custom wheels built if you wanted to upgrade later.

My 2 cents.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I am just curious about what style of riding this bike would be doing - I don't know enough to offer an opinion. If the terrain is extremely rocky would a carbon wheel be a detriment? If you ride more woods with softer trails than maybe not. I don't own anything that has carbon in it but then I am not a racer and the weight of my bike is not a factor for the style of riding I do.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    I am generally not a fan of carbon wheels on mountain or cross bikes. The risk of damaging them out weighs the benefits IMHO.

Having said that, I've looked into these wheels and they are quite light for the cost and carbon factor. So, if you want to go carbon, they seem like a good deal. They also claim to have reduced the likely hood of damage to the rim through some changes in how the rims are shaped.

I'm pretty sure you could get a really good (and nearly as light) pair of wheels with alloy rims for less money if you had custom wheels built if you wanted to upgrade later.

My 2 cents.
    This. If you're not racing and counting every gram, I don't see the benefits of carbon rims. Too much risk of damaging them, IMHO.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I have a set of Stan's alloy rims that are as light as some of the new carbon offerings that are coming out. They do have weight limits, as well as pressure limits. That said, I love them, and can't think of a reason, really, to switch to carbon (and I race, a lot). My entire bike weighs 22.5 lbs with these wheels and SPD pedals (it's a size L).

You might want to look at some other options that may be less expensive than carbon. As others have said, depending on your terrain and riding style, the carbon rims could be more prone to damage. I dented an aluminum rim last year on a relatively innocuous gap I have ridden hundreds of times.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Another vote for Stan's rims. I don't have the exact figures at hand, but my set of Stan's Crests (29er) with 32-hole XTR hubs, double-butted spokes, and brass nipples built up at ~1600 grams. They've done just fine in all sorts of terrain, including some pretty rocky stuff in Maryland and West Virginia, and they're easily repaired no matter where I am. I could have gotten them lighter, but weight wasn't my primary goal with these.

Thanks for all your opinions. I ended up buying the Roval Carbon Control 29er Wheelset because my LBS was willing to negotiate down to $600 to swap for the Alloy Rovals. It was just too good of a deal to pass up!

I am probably a beginner to intermediate rider but not a racer.

My gorgeous new bike will be posted shortly.
    2014 Liv Lust