Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

elusive bike horn

To disable ads, please log-in.

a number of years ago, I found one of those plastic squeeze horn for my handlebar. I loved it, and haven't seen another before or since. I can only describe it as a yellow dinosaur with red bumps (I had referred to it as an armadillo but it probably isn't). Long and short, it was either stolen or fell off - I was half asleep on my morning commute and didn't realize it wasn't there anymore until I got to work. I'm pretty sure it was there when I took my bike out, I probably would've noticed. Only other explanation is it somehow fell off. Anyway, I retraced my route and looked under cars in the area I thought it may have come off - nothing

You can see it a bit in this picture. I've done a massive online search and can't find it, not even a picture. I'm actually quite upset that I don't have it anymore and that I can't even replace it. Have any of you seen anything like it in your passing at a bike store? if so, can you please let me know, I'm willing to pay serious money to have it replaced.

if you have to go to a different animal Co-Union makes some in both squeeze horn and bells. They have a hedgehog bell that looks a little like yours from what I can see in your photo.

I'd be looking for it on your commute tomorrow….hoping it's waiting for you
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Aww, sorry you lost your cute armadillo-like squeezie.

It's a bummer that so many of the available ones are so decidedly NOT cute. I hope he turns up.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I KNOW! My long-eared bunny squeeze horn fell off last year. I searched high and low along the route I took, but it was gone. Had to replace it with a froggy. It just isn't the same. I feel your pain!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I searched high and low, even in the bushes, in case someone picked it up and chucked it, but nope

I did actually search "hedgehog horn" and came up with something somewhat similar (but of course not the same) on ebay from some seller in Spain on the Australian site. It will have to do, but it just won't be the same. boo hoo :*(

I have to admit, when the squeeze part was gone but the whistle part was still attached to my handlebars, it was kinda fun leaning over and blowing into it to blow the horn. Except the one time I split my lip doing that.

I just saw that amazon has some co-union squeeze horns including a Tyrannosaurus and T-rex head…..and a baby dinosaur

‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

omg! omg! I found it!! it's changed a wee bit over the years, mine was still cuter, but this is the guy! the yellow one with red bumps, even the black curly-que "hair" on his head! now how do I go buy this...

Yay! Where did you find it?

I've been successful before when I've called the US distributor for an Asian company, confirmed that they stocked the part number even though it wasn't in their catalog, and arranged to order it through one of their retailers.

The DH (aka the Bike Hermit) had the cutest hermit frog bell/horn on his touring bike - was a gift. He was on a tour, stopped at a farm house to get water and upon leaving noticed half the frog was missing. One of the farm dogs had bitten it off!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Yay! Where did you find it?

I've been successful before when I've called the US distributor for an Asian company, confirmed that they stocked the part number even though it wasn't in their catalog, and arranged to order it through one of their retailers.
    online... funny how it didn't come up when I did the first search for "hedgehog bike horn". I searched again to find the img url for the one I bought that's similar and *boom* there it was.

do you know how I would go about finding a US distributor? I did write to the company but I guess it's Sunday so I haven't heard back. I doubt I can buy just one, but who knows, maybe they'll take pity on me and send me one

Sky King: that's horrible!! though I must admit I had to laugh, but that's still horrible. Were you guys able to replace it?

Manufacturers' websites usually list their distributors' contact information. If it wasn't there, I don't know what to tell you besides try googling ...

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post

Sky King: that's horrible!! though I must admit I had to laugh, but that's still horrible. Were you guys able to replace it?
    Not yet, I haven't looked uber hard but will now in case I stumble upon a dealer. His is a sunlite horn, a product of J&B Importers but I don't see yours on there.
    I will also look in my Interbike directory, there were a ton of bell suppliers there.
    Last edited by Sky King; 02-03-2014 at 09:11 AM.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com