Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Women's Cycling Clothing Fit?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know..you can't get rid of me. While at the LBS they had some women's cycling shorts. I tried on a couple that had more of a yoga style waist instead of an elastic. The largest he had was X-Large for the Pearl Izumis. I don't know how shorts should fit around the waist but given my weight sits around the middle, I need something that doesn't squeeze. I sat down in a forward position to check and things seemed a little tight. He said he could get in the next size up but still don't know if that would fit.

Also looked at bibs. All he had were men's large but I know even the men's X-Large are too small unless they fit differently. Part of me isn't that worried right now as I'll be losing more weight over the summer. I run an 18-20 in pants which doesn't really mean much in cycling clothes. I just don't seem to fit the measurements that are offered online.

Any suggestions?

If they don't fit in the crotch, you'll be sorrier than if they don't fit someplace else. So, if they DO fit in the crotch but not in the waist, that just isn't the right pair of shorts for you, in any size.

Call TE. They're really helpful, they know a lot about every product they sell, and if they don't know they're perfectly happy to pull something off the shelf and measure it while you're on the phone.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Call TE. They're really helpful, they know a lot about every product they sell, and if they don't know they're perfectly happy to pull something off the shelf and measure it while you're on the phone.
    Plus 1. I was trying to find a pair of tri shorts once, I had ordered 2 pairs that were my size according to the size charts and niether fit me through the opening, they were choking my quads. I called them up and who ever helped me, did a great job. She opened up each pair of shorts I was interested in and compared leg hole size and give. It was awesome. No fuss on the return and I got what I needed in the end.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Bethany, I am a 14-16 and found the LG Neo Power Shorts in XXL are great. They have a comfy waist and don't bind. I got mine on TE

FWIW, I love my Shebeest SSS Short Plus. I have several pairs of them. They are very comfortable and a nice chamois.
    2014 Giant Defy Composite 2
    2013 Trek 7.2 WSD

Shebeest is my favourite brand by far. I have the shorts, Capri, and tights. All are comfortable to wear. Nice compression looks flattering and best of all none of them are see thru. Depending on what style you buy the material can be quite thick which may be to warm to wear in some hotter climates. I was wearing PI however I didn't care for how shiny the fabric was.
    No pressure No diamonds

aero tech's (aerotech.com) elite touring shorts have a drawstring waist, an excellent chamois and a good price. I have four pairs. Love the mesh pockets on the legs for long rides and accessible snacks. Also have a pair of their shorts sourced and mad in the US which are good shorts as well. Next purchase is a pair of their shorts in a wild print.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post

Also looked at bibs. All he had were men's large but I know even the men's X-Large are too small unless they fit differently. Part of me isn't that worried right now as I'll be losing more weight over the summer. I run an 18-20 in pants which doesn't really mean much in cycling clothes. I just don't seem to fit the measurements that are offered online.

Any suggestions?
    Bethany - As many have suggested, please call our office. I'm biased, obviously, but I think we have awesome staff, all of whom really really really want to help everyone who calls find something perfect for HER shape. 877-310-4592

BTW, we carry many styles of WOMEN's bibshorts. I'm a complete convert to bibs, rarely if ever wearing regular shorts anymore. I love that I can get the perfect size for my curvy hips without ever having to worry about the waist measurement. And the straps keep 'em up and in place.

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

If you carry most of your weight around the waist, the Shebeast shorts would probably work well for you. I have the opposite problem and had to return a pair because the waist was far too big.
    Queen of the sea beasts

I was in another store today and tried on some other women's clothing. Meh. Nothing at really worked. He had cheaper shorts at 50 dollars instead of 80 like the other store so I ended up buying a pair of men's shorts that felt better when I tried them on. I just didn't feel like spending so much on shorts that are just for the basement dungeon rides. It's hard to purchase clothing online unless you know what you want. It was just nice to find a LBS that had more affordable clothing.

Don't get me wrong, the bike shorts I bought a couple of years ago were really expensive and they've lasted through everything. My only beef with them was when I sat down, the shorts got caught on something ripping a small hole in them. I was able to hand sew it back together, but haven't wanted to spend that much on shorts since then.

Thanks again for the help. For now I'm sticking with men's shorts.

I'm not a fan of lycra suit (wear them but if I could avoid I would) and would probably like to get a pair like those: http://shebeest.com/threads/bottoms/...lor=hot-tomato . I hate having something tight on me. I need to feel my clothes moving a bit (not that it is wind efficient but hey! I'm not training for olympics so it does not really matter to me).

Anyone does road bike and wear them? At least on shorter rides (50km and under)?

I'm tempted to try a pair but would hate wasting hard earned money if it turns out they are not as comfy as I thought.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Helene2013; 01-29-2014 at 05:25 AM.

I have worn mountain bike shorts on the road and liked them, though not these shorts. The only problem I noticed is that depending on design, sometimes the leg will ride up my leg further than I like.

Thank you for your comment. It seems those ones have some type of silicone leg gripper. Too bad I can't seem to find a store in my area to check them out. And the US$ is higher for us in Canada - nearing an extra 15% on purchases (not counting customs fees on clothes, especially higher with an extra 18%) so I have to be sure of my purchase. argggh

As long as the leg isn't too short it will likely be fine. Have you tried thier chamois before? You might also want to look at Team Estrogen's mtb short offerings. They have a very generous return policy if it doesn't work out!

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    I'm not a fan of lycra suit (wear them but if I could avoid I would) and would probably like to get a pair like those: http://shebeest.com/threads/bottoms/...lor=hot-tomato . I hate having something tight on me. I need to feel my clothes moving a bit (not that it is wind efficient but hey! I'm not training for olympics so it does not really matter to me).

Anyone does road bike and wear them? At least on shorter rides (50km and under)?

I'm tempted to try a pair but would hate wasting hard earned money if it turns out they are not as comfy as I thought.

Thanks.
    You can wear whatever is comfortable for you. It doesn't matter what other people do.

But bear in mind that those Breezer shorts, and most (if not all) baggy mountain bike shorts will have a liner with a chamois, and the liner will be form fitting.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles