Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it the saddle or me?

To disable ads, please log-in.

You learn a lot about fit while sitting on a trainer especially for a longer period of time. Hoping that the weather will let up for some outside riding, but no chance. Turns out my hips were rocking side to side hence the back pain..duh. I ride rural so bouncing over rocks hid that problem. Lowered the saddle and had a better ride. No back pain but my rear end hurts as the saddle is pressing into me especially the nose. Even moving back doesn't help as it's worse since you are lowered. Would lowering the saddle a cm or two cause that much pain? Or make you feel like you are sitting too far forward?

It's a base saddle one that came on my bike last year and really haven't had problems until starting to ride more often over the past week. I've had several bike fits over the years so I have a general idea of where I'm supposed to be.

Or is it the padding on my shorts causing the problem and not the saddle itself? They aren't my favorite pair but everything else was in the wash. I lasted 45 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore with the constant shifting and chaffing.

I'd love a new saddle, but haven't figure out what works. The one I tried with a cut out made me feel like I was sinking into a black hole. The Brooks one I kept sliding forward because the leather was too slippery regardless of what you did with it. It seems like most women favor the Terry or the Selle Italia saddles. If I'm doing a century and even more than 20 miles, I need something that will work. And shorts or bibs that fit comfortably when I get the chance.

Sitting on a trainer isn't the same as riding outside, your body and the bike interacts differently. Both are far more dynamic on the road/trails, others will have more saddle specific comments, I am sure

Cut outs aren't the same, they are all different. Some cutouts are longer, some are wider, some rails have more "give". Have you tried Knotted's cut-out test? It is here on TE, sadly I don't have time to go look for it. I learned the hard way that while I really did/do need a cut-out, there is still some searching to be done to find the one that your body likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    You learn a lot about fit while sitting on a trainer especially for a longer period of time. Hoping that the weather will let up for some outside riding, but no chance. Turns out my hips were rocking side to side hence the back pain..duh. I ride rural so bouncing over rocks hid that problem. Lowered the saddle and had a better ride. No back pain but my rear end hurts as the saddle is pressing into me especially the nose. Even moving back doesn't help as it's worse since you are lowered. Would lowering the saddle a cm or two cause that much pain? Or make you feel like you are sitting too far forward?

It's a base saddle one that came on my bike last year and really haven't had problems until starting to ride more often over the past week. I've had several bike fits over the years so I have a general idea of where I'm supposed to be.

Or is it the padding on my shorts causing the problem and not the saddle itself? They aren't my favorite pair but everything else was in the wash. I lasted 45 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore with the constant shifting and chaffing.

I'd love a new saddle, but haven't figure out what works. The one I tried with a cut out made me feel like I was sinking into a black hole. The Brooks one I kept sliding forward because the leather was too slippery regardless of what you did with it. It seems like most women favor the Terry or the Selle Italia saddles. If I'm doing a century and even more than 20 miles, I need something that will work. And shorts or bibs that fit comfortably when I get the chance.
    Have you had a fitting with your current bike? If so, and they set your saddle height high enough to cause your hips to rock, then it may not have been a very good fitting. If not, you would probably benefit from a fitting on your current bike.

If you feel too much pressure from the nose of the saddle, it could mean that the nose is tilted upward, or that the saddle is too narrow to support your sit bones. Use a level to check for the first issue and measure your sit bones to check for the second one.

Also if your seat post is at an angle, then moving the saddle down may also have moved it forward.

And yes, riding on an indoor trainer is generally less comfortable than riding outside. You shift around much less (or not at all) when you're on the trainer. (Which reminds me, I was supposed to do some indoor spinning tonight, but got carried away planning a ride that I hope to do in the spring...)

p.s. as for specific saddles, many folks here also like various Specialized saddles. I personally like the Bontrager Affinity RXL. Bontrager offers a 30-day comfort guarantee, and I think Specialized might also allow you to return a saddle if you don't like it.
    Last edited by ny biker; 01-22-2014 at 05:26 PM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I know which test you are referring to so I'll have to take another look.

discomfort from the front of the saddle may be an angle problem. you might want to tilt the nose up just a bit and see how that feels. tilted down can cause your hips to move forward.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 01-22-2014 at 05:52 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

This is probably TMI but I'm so bruised and swollen down there. Is this a saddle problem or a fit issue?

I'll check into another professional fitting. The LBS that gave the best went under a couple of years go but I'll call a couple of stores. I had the bruising problem once over the summer. I went for a couple of days..an hour or so each day for 3-4 days and ended up with the same problem. I was off the bike for 3 weeks until I healed up. Maybe a center opening would prove useful. I thought I was doing good until today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    This is probably TMI but I'm so bruised and swollen down there. Is this a saddle problem or a fit issue?

I'll check into another professional fitting. The LBS that gave the best went under a couple of years go but I'll call a couple of stores. I had the bruising problem once over the summer. I went for a couple of days..an hour or so each day for 3-4 days and ended up with the same problem. I was off the bike for 3 weeks until I healed up. Maybe a center opening would prove useful. I thought I was doing good until today.
    If you haven't yet measured your sit bones, start with that. It's free (unless you need to buy a tape measure) and you can do it at home.

As for the cutout, if the problem is chafing, then a cutout might help. If it's bruising from too much pressure, then a cutout will not help and may make it worse.

Look here for more on measuring sit bones and testing to see if you could use a cutout.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=39475

Gone but not forgotten:

Thanks for the links to all the saddle threads. Have read them again. I believe I have a men's 4ZA Stratus on my bike. It's their lowest end saddle. My next question is, how do you tell what shape a saddle is? I think my B17 is considered pear and my saddle is T shaped? I put an order in on Amazon.com for a Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow saddle. If it's more of a T-shape problem, cancel the order or give it a try? I haven't measured my sit bones..can't find my measuring tape at 1 am..lol but I think the last time I did a test I was around 150 something.

If you have the men's saddle, it's either 130 or 145 mm. Either would be too narrow if your sit bones are ~150 mm. Looking at the dimensions diagrams, this saddle looks pretty pear-shaped to me.

http://www.4za.com/saddles/stratos

I think the Brooks is considered more t-shaped.

The SI Diva looks to be 160 mm, which would probably be better for you, but may be too wide (which would cause chafing). But the only way to know would be to try it.

Gone but not forgotten:

yes, a sit bones measurement is in order. Sounds like most of your weight is on your soft tissue instead of your bones. I think many of us "sit" differently when on a trainer which can also add
    to the problem. I tend to find myself more upright and as I am stationary I somehow seem to change the curve of my back which can shift the weight to the soft tissue spot instead of the sit bones.

Wishing you luck! Hate the saddle hunt. I had a B17 imperial on my new bike and realized the "fenders" of the Brooks aren't for me so am ordering a new Rivet Pearl in black (matchy, matchy)
    Love my Rivet!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Woot! Called up a LBS and asked if they had time to do a saddle fitting and they said yes. Drove up to Lincoln and he measured me out. I fit a 155 Specialized saddle and came home with a Lithia saddle. He set it all up for me and had me test it in the parking lot for a few minutes. What a HUGE difference and no pain. I have to come up to Lincoln next week and he said take it home, try it out and bring it back if it's not what you want.

He was so sweet to make sure it fit right and was leveled out on the bike. I canceled the other saddle. Fingers crossed this is the saddle. If not there were a couple of others that might work like the Amira and the Ruby.

Bethany, when you say bruising down there, are you talking about bruising on your ischial tuberosities or farther forward, more toward either side of your vaginal opening? I'm guessing it's the latter. With that information and some of the other things you've said here, it sounds like you're not being supported through your sit bones area. There are a couple of reasons why that could happen. It sounds like you could be sliding forwards on your saddle such that your sit bones are no longer on the wide part of the saddle. Or the saddle could be too narrow at the sit bones area, too pear shaped, have too wide a nose or too dome shaped.

The first thing to do would be to sit on your bike, on your trainer with the bike set to as perfectly level as possible. Try sitting up (no hands) while pedaling lightly and see if you slide forward. If so, you may need to adjust saddle tilt to stop that from happening. Leveling a saddle is a tricky thing because level may not look level depending on the saddle shape. I would try tilting the nose of the saddle up slightly to see if it helps. Do the sit up test again and ride normally as well. If that doesn't work, you're likely getting pushed forward on the saddle by the shape and you may need something with more T-shape to it or a narrower nose.

If you are not sliding forward on the saddle you may be sliding off it because it's too narrow or dome shaped. The best way to check this is with the help of a good friend, and I mean good friend. In your normal riding position you lift your bum up and have a friend put their fingers on the saddle (right and left, one hand for each bum cheek) pads up and sit down on their fingers and lightly pedal. They should be able to give you some feedback about whether or not your sit bones feel like they are being supported by the saddle or if you're wider than the high point of the saddle and are sliding off. The best part of being a female fitter with a medical background is that I can get away with doing this with clients (with permission of course) and no body seems to get weirded out by it.

Cut out or no cut out is another entirely different topic.

I hope that gives you some ideas of things to try.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Sit bones are fine, it's more toward the vaginal opening that is really sore. The stock saddle has never been terrible so I hadn't bothered to change it out but I wasn't putting tons of miles every week..just a couple of short rides..10 miles or less. I'll put my bike up on the trainer tonight..might take it out tomorrow since the weather will be nicer and go from there given your recommendations. Guy leveled out the new saddle when he put it on the bike and happily fiddled with the set up.

Saddle leveling is tricky business and I wouldn't assume that it's quite right yet. "Level" as a lot to do with saddle profile and sometimes functional level is not the same as visual leveling because of the saddle shape from front to back.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I feel your pain. I've been thru so many saddles, and still haven't found the "right" one for my new road bike. Just got a Cobb V-Flow delivered and am getting it put on and adjusted. Everyone keeps telling me that I'll probably love it. Fingers crossed. So want to quit worrying about pain in my soft tissues and start worrying about putting in lots of miles.

Dana
    2014 Giant Defy Composite 2
    2013 Trek 7.2 WSD