Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Healthier? workplace breakfast / lunch events

To disable ads, please log-in.

I work in the public sector for a large employer (14,000+). Maybe this happens with employers where there is long-standing programs that promote employee health and wellness:

Past few years, in my area the breakfast and lunch food at the workplace for large group events have changed or maybe people's eating habits have changed abit:
    *breakfast buffet offering: smaller muffins / large muffins cut in half/, smoothie drinks, fruit juices. Less pop /not just pop offered. Buffet breakfast that includes granola cereal, milk, yogurt and fresh fruit platters.
    * Only half or more of muffins, danishes, cookies or a huge celebratory cake eaten at all. After event the platter of left-overs is placed in communal office floor kitchen....and gets gobbled up in 4 hrs.
    *Lunchtime pizza which we have a workplace social committee that organizes this monthly. I think the numbers have diminished slightly. The committee members do order a selection of healthy pizzas that aren't overloaded with cheese, bacon. And it's thinner crust pizza. Several social committee members do engage regularily in exercise, etc.

My employer has monthly events and noon hr. free sessions on fitness, health (physical and mental) at various worksites. On our intranet, a featured employee showcased with an interesting job, career path also includes what they like to do off-job and often that includes at least 1 physical activity. Not sure if it's coincidental or inching closer to greater awareness of healthier lifestyle.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 01-18-2014 at 09:07 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Healthier workers = more productivity. That can be good for everyone. We do social health oriented activities at my work place and include spouses and families at times too.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    We haven't made our social health work events extend to spouses and families --probably not a good idea. I work for govn't and taxpayers do get sensitive if they see others getting freebies but they aren't. You wouldn't believe it: a bunch of citizens were furious to know that we had a small room with a treadmill runner, dumbbell hand weights and jump rope. ....

I posted the topic wondering if other people here have noticed any changes in type of food, food portions for workplace events where organization pays for the food.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

When I worked for the University Heart Center, we would have breakfast meetings. Food (paid by donations in unrestricted accounts, not taxpayer money) consisted of cereal, milk, danishes and always bagels & cream cheese. Once, a newly hired admin assist decided that the Heart Center should not have cream cheese. You should have seen the uproar at the meeting. She ended up going to the cafeteria & buying individual cream cheese tins. I warned her...
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    When I worked for the University Heart Center, we would have breakfast meetings. Food (paid by donations in unrestricted accounts, not taxpayer money) consisted of cereal, milk, danishes and always bagels & cream cheese. Once, a newly hired admin assist decided that the Heart Center should not have cream cheese. You should have seen the uproar at the meeting. She ended up going to the cafeteria & buying individual cream cheese tins. I warned her...
    Did she expect you to eat dry bagels?

(And why not get rid of the danishes, too?)

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

This was many years ago when fat was EVIL but sugar was OK
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I've noticed a change at my company - but I also know that it is intentional. Events almost always have both healthy and non-healthy items. Breakfasts usually include bagels and cream cheese or muffins, but they are also now including fresh fruit and hard boiled eggs too. Lunches always have salad options alongside the less healthy things. Though, we often have entire buffet lunches of nothing but healthy food (though, for most, healthy means tons of whole grains and beans and I don't eat those...but I applaud the effort, for sure).

I say it is intentional at my company because I know the members and efforts of our wellness committee. They sponsor events like health fairs, 5K races/walks, healthy lunches, gym discounts and even a community garden...during work hours. I'm trying to lobby them for covered bike parking and discounted light rail tickets as well....
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post

I posted the topic wondering if other people here have noticed any changes in type of food, food portions for workplace events where organization pays for the food.
    It's been the same since I started working here a few years ago.
    We’re just two blocks from a farmers market so meetings and the office kitchen usually have fresh fruits, juices, bagels and non-fat spreads from the market. Besides that there is usually plain and sparkling bottled water, coffee/tea, (no soda) small packages of dried fruits, small veg/dip packs and yogurt in the office kitchen. People bring whatever else they want. This morning there are some clementine’s, whole wheat bagels/feta pine nut spread and gluten-free banana bread in the kitchen. That happens a couple of times a week.

For lunch meetings we order from a couple of different restaurants. Most people order healthy salads or sandwiches. Now birthdays are something different calorie wise. We have some great patisserie's here!!!! The Gateau au Chocolat from Lady M's FTW

for family things we just did an afternoon of ice skating for the kids on an ice rink set up under the palm trees of santa monica for dec/jan. I even got some photos of a couple of daughters for their parents and for a wintertime theme thing I did.

Things like that make for a workplace we enjoy, share and want to stay in…..most of the time. It's good to see large companies doing wellness programs, any company doing it...hopefully more.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 01-20-2014 at 04:20 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

In general, less food is served. I attribute this more to cost cutting than a concern for our health, but maybe I'm being cynical.