Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Need New Saddle for Touring - Back to Brooks?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I recently had my perfectly broken in Brooks Saddle stolen off my bicycle...yes, it was very tragic at the time...Now, a week and a half after riding my old bicycle I realize it's time to buy a new one.

This got me thinking...should I go back to another Brooks saddle? I love the way it looked on my Hunter Green Surly Disc Trucker with matching leather handle bar tape, but is it the best fit for me? I went on a tour across Illinois this Summer (550 miles in 6 days), and I got some painful Saddle sores by the end of the trip. I am defintely pear shaped (5'8" 175 lbs with a booty). I am not sure if the saddle sores were related to the seat, or possibly another factor. I would love to hear anyones thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply.

The chafing is at the crease between the buttock and the top of the leg...like right where a pair of full underwear would hit.

The saddle I had was the B-17 womans saddle. I have considered purchasing the men's more narrow one.

It seems that this desciption from the post above describes how I ride and my problems perfectly (sorry...I am new to forums and not entirely sure how to work all the attachments and quotes properly)

"You've got a classic case of chafing (butt/ham crease) that screams "too wedged!" and sliding back on the saddle could well be an attempt to get a bit more landscape for the sits and to get away from that too-gradual transition.

The inner thigh chafing could be from a nose that is too wide, or a side effect of trying to clear your hip joints by shifting backwards (so the inner thighs rub on the transition zone).

You could have a saddle that's perfect in every way: wide enough for your sits, minimally padded or cut-out enough for your bits, and at the perfect height and tilt... but if that transition from sit-to-nose is too gradual for your hip joint motion, it's all over! You'll chafe, you'll squish, and you'll shift around all the time."

I guess my next question is: Do you know of a better Brooks saddle that would work for me? I love the look of the leather. I guess I have some bike vanity issues

I went back to the article you recommended, and it looks like maybe the Brooks B17 narrow would be a better fit for me. Thoughts?

IMO, one of your issues could be the design of the Brooks Saddle over other leather Saddles - Like the Rivet. For me the fenders (the sides) of the Brooks are to long and the tend to flare a bit as your saddle breaks in and (for me) cause the "underwear" saddle sore you describe. There are several leather saddles out now that are quite beautiful and don't have that challenge. As Muirenn noted, I am over the top about Rivet Saddles. Deb Banks, the owner, live is Sacramento and hand picks her hides from a tanner in Wisconsin. The Saddles are made in Taiwan but are very beautifully constructed. If you were in my shop, I would have your ride the Rivet Independence and the Rivet Independence no slot. The nose is narrower and the transition from the seat area to the leg area is smooth with no ridges. Also note the Brooks S models have a shorter nose which could be a factor in your sores as you "May" be pushing yourself back on the saddle to get more nose between your legs. Good Luck, happy to talk, I have been where you are and know how frustrating it can be
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

THANKS SO MUCH! All of your insight has been very helpful! What a great forum! I will test out the seats you mentioned, and hopefully report back positive results.