Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fear & age?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I think that as we get older, we realize we're not invincible.

Veronica
    I think this is it. I broke my leg 18 months ago (just before I turned 40). The rehab took forever - and I still don't think I'm where I was before. Quite the contrast to injuries I had in my twenties. Now I KNOW what can happen and that it will take a while to fix, so I find myself being a lot more cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Aromig View Post
    I think this is it. I broke my leg 18 months ago (just before I turned 40). The rehab took forever - and I still don't think I'm where I was before. Quite the contrast to injuries I had in my twenties. Now I KNOW what can happen and that it will take a while to fix, so I find myself being a lot more cautious.
    In the last five years, I've broken ribs and bruised a kidney (a fall off a ladder in the garage), had my fifth right knee surgery (slipped on ice while shoveling the driveway), and ruptured a disk in my back (hit a giant pothole on my scooter). it takes forever to heal any more. But more than that is why I get hurt when the exact same things wouldn't have hurt me as badly a few years ago. Is it because my reactions are slowing down, is my post menopausal body, a combination of the two? Any way I slice it, I just have to use more caution now.

I have never been much of a daredevil or risk taker. Even as a child I didn't do risky/daring physical activities. Might be because my mom was pretty fearful of most everything and she did not instill much confidence in me. As an adult (I start biking and running at about 39) I have started taking more risks...but I'm also very cautious. If I am riding with my partner I feel much more comfortable riding on busy roads...I've done a lot of rode (some time busy roads) riding so I probable feel comfortable because of my experience and again better with my partner. I do NOT like descending at all. I think this is again a confidence issue, I often visualize my crashes (seriously!). I also have crashed going downhill, so definitely adds to my fear. But I think it is the fact I don't feel comfortable with my skills. Running is probably less of a risk...usual car vs pedestrian stuff but overall I probably don't take risks. That being said I have done Pikes Peak Ascent twice. First time I did pretty good for a flatlander, second time bad altitude effects and I almost didn't make the cut off. I hope to go back this year, but now that I tasted failure (well almost failure) I am more afraid of not only failure but that I might actually die. (OK maybe I'm a bit dramatic but people can die doing this!).
    So I guess I have never been a risk taker (I would not ski downhill--scary!), but I think it may be more related to lack of confidence in my physical ability than my age. As I have gotten older I probably have been involved in things that are more of a physical risk than my younger years!
    K
    katluvr

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    But more than that is why I get hurt when the exact same things wouldn't have hurt me as badly a few years ago.
    The double whammy of aging! I work with several colleagues that are my same age. We're all going through physical therapy at various points for something or other. Our shorthand for any of this stuff is "getting old sucks." (We also talk about how we wouldn't go back to 20 for anything though, because even though we get hurt more easily and take longer to heal its nice to be established, independent, have more wisdom, etc.)

This thread is making me not want to get older …..thinking i should count on the insight, vision and wisdom that also comes with it to serve my creativity in a satisfying offset way.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    This thread is making me not want to get older …..thinking i should count on the insight, vision and wisdom that also comes with it to serve my creativity in a satisfying offset way.
    Age has taken me by surprise, Rebecca. I assumed because I was fit and a lifelong risk taker, everything would be fine. But I guess you can't really fight some decline; I don't mean you have to sit in a chair and wait to croak, but you do have to be aware of, and respect, the process. It just requires some accommodation.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    This is for rebeccaC and anyone who might wonder about aging and physical capabilities:

I was/am a geek and never was good in physical activities @school. For certain, it helps to have a good/healthy weight, diet as a baseline. So cycling is just something I love doing whenever I can. Performance is important in so far to me, that I can mount certain hill grades, go a long distance for trips, cycle with heavier baggage, etc.

I don't bike race but have cycled lots, etc. because I'm car-free for several decades. I'm the type of cyclist that will walk across an intersection with my bike if I know I will be at a very busy intersection with higher car speed roads. I especially do that when my panniers are overly heavy with groceries and bike balance is important.

@55, I have not yet broken a bone, but have been hit by a car as a teen pedestrian. Car going slow enough that I was lucky I was not thrown on top of the car hood. (Just had bruises and was in temperory traumatic shock for a day.) So, yes I guess that's where partially a source of my caution comes from.

My greatest concern these days are: people use cellphones while driving. It is disturbing, even the law in several Canadian provinces makes it illegal, people still do it.

I know these days there seems to be the cult of being physically courageous/admirable by cycling, running under difficult conditions/older age. I don't worry about feeling like a whimp/less because I know I've experienced other things in life which did require taking personal risks: career (by moving in several jobs), financial risk, etc.

Just my comments here --if others wonder if most of us older folks, experience major aches, pains, broken bones alot soon after ie. 40?
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I have not experienced any broken bones, except for a broken nose in a car accident when I was 15 when my mom was driving and a fractured knee from falling down concrete steps when I was 23. I just need more recovery time now. I've always needed more warm up than others and over exercising /overuse injuries kept me sick with infection after infection (respiratory), plantar fasciaitis, and a stress fracture in my 30s. I also weighed 92 pounds.
    Yes, I learned my lesson, but it is still hard for me, even though I know better. It's a struggle to take 2 rest days a week, but I really need to. I want to do more and get faster all of the time. The problem is, it's really hard to do this at my stage of life! And, I know a lot of people from my cycling group, who are 5-15 years older than me, who do a lot more. I have a hard time accepting aging and I dislike people who "embrace" their oldness. Some of my issues are from my own peculiar health issues that I have struggled with off and on since I was much younger. But, I still keep at it and it helps to surround myself with others who are extremely fit.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I thought of this thread when I saw this.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I want to do more and get faster all of the time.
    I've already figured that if I live long enough, there will come a time when my aging will overrun the speed I'm still gaining by experience and smarter training. And then it will be time to find a new sport that I can start getting faster at.

Good one, V.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I have a hard time accepting aging and I dislike people who "embrace" their oldness. Some of my issues are from my own peculiar health issues that I have struggled with off and on since I was much younger. But, I still keep at it and it helps to surround myself with others who are extremely fit.
    Crankin, I assume you meant people who "embrace" their oldness, by becoming unhealthy/not fit because they chose to slack off/not pay attention to what they were eating, etc.

I agree that it helps to be around some people who share and practice some healthy habits. I know I've lost some perspective on average health and fitness of older men, because I'm around dearie...who is 70. He's not superman, but he is fit with ongoing effort to eat healthy (80% of time, like most people) and yea, I have low level worry when he tells me about his winter cycling this winter on his studded tires.. But I don't say much to him except ask how his rides are. Today he chose to remain on the paths where there are no cars and the pathways are more clear/less slippery. Not totally. Whereas I saw a number of (primarily) male cyclists rolling along on their studded tires through slush, etc. on roads with cars. He cycled around 20 km. today. I haven't been cycling at all for past 6 days, because of our snowfall and snow/ice is on roads that is part of my normal work commute route.

Yesterday, he was musing to me 8 years ago, how he did cycle from Toronto to Montreal....in 3 days. Which meant 1-2 days of cycling 190 km. per day. Yeaa, I guess he was 62 yrs. I didn't clue in at that time, for age vs. distance. I only paid attention to the daily distance. I am a dork at times.) He says now, he could not /would not want to do that distance in 1 day.

Sooooooo....aging, capability, self-confidence or just happy ignorance (with some fitness training to prevent injury) and taking some precaution, results in situations where each person responds differently to their slow physical decline.

In my opinion, balanced mental health is important and becomes even more so as we age, but still do fitness activities with some adjustments. This is why I put cycling as equally important to me...as my blogging, art. And it is another reason why my personal blog, it's not solely about cycling. I don't wish to become a person who falls into deep depression just because I can't cycle as well/cycle at all.I can't guarantee such self-protection, but just want have a handful, not just 1 passion that I love to practice/indulge.

Here I am just a few days ago:

Last edited by shootingstar; 01-08-2014 at 03:50 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

ShootingStar, I meant that I have friends who are excitedly bragging about joining AARP, complaining about their aches and pains, living for the day they can become snowbirds and spend half the year in FL, and saying things like "at our age..."
    I agree, you do need balance for your mental health. I dread the day when I can't ride, but that's when I'll be walking outside or doing chair aerobics! (sigh, we used to make fun of instructors who taught that when I worked at gyms). I just don't want to get old. There's longevity in my family, with fairly good quality of life, so I expect to have to adapt my exercise habits as I'll be around for awhile.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I don't mind getting older (at least not much), I mind not being able to do the things I love. As long as those things require a certain level of physical fitness, I'm going to strive to keep fit. But I would be naive if I expected myself to be as fast or as strong or as fearless now as when I was 20 years younger. I do know however that stamina "ages well", it just takes consistent training and not too many injuries. And general good health is of course something that everyone can work at and benefit from, at every age.

At some point my priorities may change. I don't mean that that I will ever happily accept poor health, but maybe keeping fit just might not seem so important, maybe because the effort overshadows the rewards, maybe because I've gained other interests in life. I don't know. I think that's what I think of in the term "aging gracefully" - not trying to be as fit or feel as "young" as possible, but making active choices about how to keep yourself capable of doing the things you enjoy doing.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

ShootingStar, I meant that I have friends who are excitedly bragging about joining AARP, complaining about their aches and pains, living for the day they can become snowbirds and spend half the year in FL, and saying things like "at our age..."
    I pretty much avoid people who use the phrase "at our age."

You have weird friends.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike