Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Arctic dipping south

To disable ads, please log-in.

Attachment 16870

Snow estimates are 8-10 inches on top of the 6 we got Thursday.

This image says it all, and this is a CONSERVATIVE forecast, I've seen another with even lower temperatures Coldest temps in 20 years. I remember 1994, but I was in Tennessee at that time - and while we had an epic ice storm that left much of the state looking like a war zone, the temps were nothing like this!

This isn't Alaska...hope everyone in the path of this cold front stays safe and warm! I took my car to the dealer this morning to have it checked out to make certain it will start when (if) I have to start it at -17...calling for windchills of -55 on Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-04-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Wow! I'm not all that further south, but it's not predicted to be anywhere close to that bad. Looks like very little snow, and bottoming out at -6 or so. That's plenty cold. Folks are surprised that school hasn't been cancelled yet.

It'll be cold in my house, just hope the pipes don't freeze. I still have the original c1910 insulation so I'll be bundling up.

Attachment 16871

Those same 3 birds have been on that branch for close to 45 minutes now, hunkered down for sure! This is the view outside my patio door. I placed a 16 oz plastic glass on my balcony about 2.5 hours ago and it is almost full!

I think they will probably close the government building where I work tomorrow outside of essential workers (I am not one), and that would be the first time in the 12 years I've been there if it happens. We have only and ONE delayed start in all of those years!
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-05-2014 at 09:55 AM.

My college alma mater -- Grand Valley State U in Allendale, MI -- only closed for an entire day ONCE in the 7ish years I was a student…and only because the state police pretty much mandated it.

They are already closed for tomorrow. Yep, Hell is freezing over.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I am worried the power might go out, and the roads are too bad to go elsewhere...hoping and praying on this one.

I just checked my work email and we ARE closed tomorrow. Something has indeed frozen over... They have also bumped the snow totals up to 12 inches. 16,000 are out of power so far in this county, many in my area I really hope this doesn't happen in my complex, I've no where to go and they've declared an Orange level emergency (essential travel only).
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-05-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Back home it was 44 below this morning with a 55 below windchill. I am glad I am not there.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Stay safe, all of you.
    We were at -11F yesterday morning in our town center, but up here on the hill, it was 2 degrees. It warmed up quickly and was between 37 and 42 today. Now we are going to get rain tonight, and hoping it stays above freezing and the rain stops before midnight, as predicted. I've missed 2 weeks of 5:30 AM bootcamp due to weather. So tomorrow will be 51 and Tuesday morning, it's supposed to be 15 .
    Strange
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Tomorrow it is supposed to continue to drop to -15, and I don't plan to go out unless my power goes out.

Is it a good idea to start my car from time to time and run it for 10 minutes? I want it to start Tuesday, assuming my office is open, and want my car to start. The high Tuesday will still be sub-zero.

I hope there are no power problems, I only have 1 blanket...I got rid of a couple old ones when I moved and hadn't yet replaced them.

We only got about 1" of snow, but the problem is the .5" of rain that preceded it. Lots of ice around. Thankfully power outages are very minimal! I'm glad I live on a priority road (the city bus garage is .5 miles one way, a police post 1 mile the other way) so if I have to drive somewhere I could. But I'm not planning on it. It's dropped from 14 at 5am to 5 now, and still falling, with a lot of wind.

Hang in there Catrin, Indy looks awful. At least this isn't supposed to last all that long!

1 foot of snow fell on top of the 6 inches that fell Thursday, right now it is -13 and dropping, windchill of -30 to -40. All of the counties around here have either declared an emergency, watch or warning. In MY county there is a Code Red warning - all non-emergency travel is forbidden. News coverage of traffic makes it look like the aftermath of a major disaster - NO traffic. Even snow plows are getting stuck! As soon as they plow it, it blows back. I do have to wonder if tomorrow will be much different until the winds die and the temps reach more normal winter temps. I do remember weather like this back in the late 70's when I was actually hitchhiking across the country and got caught in similar weather, but it probably wasn't quite this bad. I was fortunate to survive that trip.

They just showed a lone cyclist trying to navigate down a street - and he was obviously really struggling to stay upright So far my power is fine, but until the winds die it is a concern, and driving isn't an option today. I am resisting the urge to start my car periodically to "warm it up", that makes no sense if I am not actually going to drive it.
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-06-2014 at 05:25 AM.

Stay put, Catrin! So we had some ice this morning and now it's 55. Torrential rain. Another class missed at the gym due to ice. They are already warning about the flash freeze that will occur tonight and tomorrow morning. I probably won't be going anywhere all day from what it sounds like because it will be 15 degrees with no melting!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Another day off tomorrow, I am confident that I will be back in the office Wed, and it will be much warmer then. Well, much warmer than -12! This weekend we will get up to 40 and there is some flooding concerns. I am fortunate to have heat, but I have my Sugoui mid-zero tights and smartwool long sleeve base layer on under sweatshirt and jeans, wool socks and tall shearling slippers. I am still cold...and the thermonstat is on 69! No higher, though the temperature difference is so huge from the outside temps that I doubt it would matter (bill wise), if I bumped it up a degree. I don't think I would be any warmer however, so why waste the energy? Thank goodness for the budget plan, can't imagine what these few days will do to my bill...

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Put on a hat, Catrin. That will help. You can put all your laundry on your bed for more warmth. Of course, I hope your power stays on and you don't need to do that. I have my wood stove ready to fire up if our power goes out. It won't be as cold here (only 8F), but that's cold enough.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Put on a hat, Catrin. That will help. You can put all your laundry on your bed for more warmth. Of course, I hope your power stays on and you don't need to do that. I have my wood stove ready to fire up if our power goes out. It won't be as cold here (only 8F), but that's cold enough.
    Good idea Tulip, at this point I am hoping power won't be a problem. I HOPE that if it were going to go out that it would have. I shouldn't be surprised that it is so cold even though my thermostat is convinced it is 69 degrees in my apartment, the wind is howling outside... I am currently debating between a nice glass of red wine or a hot cup of chocolate peppermint tea...and the latter is winning