Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Training Plan Help!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have completely confused myself and am hoping for some pointers on putting something together!

I am a very beginner runner, and the "run" portion of my program will be the every other day workouts as directed by my PT (currently a short walk-run mix, progressing to longer and then more running than walking). I have a long term goal of an Ironman. There is a slim possibility (but I don't want my training now to hold me back) of a very late season iron distance (I would walk most of the run, and am perfectly OK with that). Could also do the half iron. Or do the full as an aqua bike. Have been talking to my PT about all of these issues, and the only thing we aren't sure of is where the run will go - I am cleared for everything else now (with appropriate training). Not in my best biking shape, but OK there - just need to build. Have had some fear issues on the road, but that seems to be improving drastically. Swimming, I have no issues but haven't done a lot of it lately. I do enjoy it and that's part of the reason I want to include it now. I want to do a hilly century in June.

I need to pull together something that looks like a training schedule - with something that is just "build base," I don't tend to put the time in. I need more structure. Any thoughts??
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

My general week to week schedule when I was training for long course tri was:

Mon - off or yoga
    Tues - speed work Run, second w/o of the day speed work bike.
    Wed - Swim and easy ride
    Thurs - hill run and bike
    Fri - off or easy ride
    Sat - long run and swim
    Sun - long ride

The idea behind this structure is that by clustering the harder workouts together it allows you to have true off days to recover. So Tues through Thursday were meant to have some intensity. Mon and Fri were recovery days and the long stuff came on the weekend. Assuming that your run is the more challenging event, I would always cheat to do that first on the combo days (your legs will tolerate being tired on the ride better) and put your long run the day before the long ride, for the same reasons.

I hope that helps.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Thanks for starting this thread, I've a few trail running events this year as well as a mud obstacle course in May, and I've never been a runner... I tend to over-do things and injure myself with new activities, so I will be watching this thread with great interest!

Since I had the brilliant idea to register myself for a 150km road bike challenge (one-day event) in June 2014, and having been out of shape due to major knee/elbow injuries last June that required limited gym time and lots of PT for 9 months, I'm seeing a private trainer (who happens to be a physiotherapiste and kinesiotherapist, and is a triathlon athlete) this coming Monday night. She will be building me a gym plan to get me stronger, get speed on my bike, all this with avoiding re-injuring myself, etc.

So I will try to come and update the tips she is giving me to survive in that jungle.

Thanks, Wahine! That really helps quite a bit - particularly the recovery thoughts! I like the schedule (without back to back run days - not sure why so many training plans have those!). You are 100% right about running first - will continue to do that! Will start with that as the "backbone" and fill in with the workouts tailored to my events.

Helene2013- Can't wait to hear what tips you can share!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I'll be watching this thread as well. I'm just starting doing Sprints & will probably add a couple of Olys. My Tuesday group ride consists of several triathletes and we frequently add a short run on after the ride. It's good practice for getting the legs used to running off the bike.
    "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" (Robert F. Kennedy)

I met last night with my trainer. Spent 1.5h going through what I wanted, my goals, did some tests on my abilities, how well I can do the basic exercises (postures) for squats, lunges, plank, arm shaping with weights, etc. She was impressed as very minimal corrections were required in my moves. She said for someone not trained/or rather did little road bikes, that my technic was excellent. With time, we will work on putting all of what I want in place. She was also very impressed to see someone my age (yep…not always the case she says with people over 50) to be so motivated and ready to work hard!

She uses the SMART training method. She again was impressed by how ready I was when I met her. I did not know what smart was but I had all the answers she wanted to hear. She did not have to dig it out of me and I knew what my goals were. At least the “dream” I wanted to see come alive.
    http://smarttrainingla.com/

She will put up my plan (which she has to create this week) on a website for me to go to (probably Thursday). We will be able to share notes, comments, track my training time, etc. in-between visits. I should meet her monthly to re-visit our goals, what works, and not. From what I understood, it will be 3h per week for lower intensity and a 4h block on weekend to push the limits. We’ll adjust as we go along as the 1st sets may not take as long as the repeats will be minimal. She will built something in the style of cross-fit, but adapted to my condition.

As I am not a fan of cycling vs the love of running (which no longer allowed due to knees) she said she will get me to love and have fun on my bike by not pushing it down my throat. As an example, she may have me do the bike for 15 minutes, hop on treadmill for 10-15 and then finish on the bike. Then extend the time on the bike and reduce the one on treadmill. But for now, nothing of this. We’re not there yet for my “safety”.

My main goal right now is to just regain my overall physical fitness, which should lead me to lose the 20 pounds I want to see disappear. I've been away from gym for over 9 months due to major injuries. So she will make sure my strength is better before I'm even allowed to run or cycle on intervals. My deadline is set for mid-June as I have signed myself (and hubby) for a 150km bike ride challenge. In a hilly part of our province! Still searching what bubble blew in my head to think of something like this. Deuh! For a challenge, it will be a huge challenge. I better work out hard to get there and finish, but it is do-able. We have enough time ahead to be top-shape!

I do not know my plan just yet but she said "No running" and no cycling on trainer. We will have to work on gaining on muscle strength more than cardio right now. Once my muscle mass is getting in better shape, it will be time to attack the cardio more seriously. Doing it this way she said will avoid more knee injuries (getting my lower body, including abs, in a better condition) and back injuries. She wants my large muscle groups and my core to be in better shape to attack the rest of the program.

She's a physiotherapist, plus a kinesiotherapist. So I am in excellent hands. I can't wait to see what my program will look like. But it will be a gradual thing.

Just the exercises that was done last night to check me out left me sore this morning. Promising. It was not even a full program. Hihi An $85 well spent. And I learned this morning at work that we have group insurance covering this up to $1000. I thought I would have to use my $600 gym activity type related allowance through payroll (taxable benefit) to cover those expenses. Nope. That is even better news. Paid by our group insurance and not taxed on it (note that with the premiums we pay at work, it’s not free!)

So the countdown has begun and there is no turning back. Let’s rock and roll as of tomorrow night!