Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Need info/advice on Surly Pacer

To disable ads, please log-in.

A brief history of the last 18 months or so: Last year I had some serious bike lust for the Pacer (the blue one). I hesitated to buy a bike without a test ride since I think I'm kind of hard to fit at 5'0". I ended up buying a Cannondale Synapse that felt great at the shop, then not so great on the road. Then for fun I rode a Specialized Dolce. It came home with me, too.

Last night I was browsing Craigslist and found (or it found me?) a 42" Pacer frame (the blue one!). I've never built a bike before. The bike shop guy said it could be a fun project. He also said we could take all the nice components off the C'dale, since I may not be able to get much for it, anyway. But I think I would like 650b rims, and I don't know if I want drop handlebars.

So my questions: Could this be worth it? Could I make this bike fit? What's a good price for the frame and headset? Am I crazy?

There's a part of me that wants to just start all over. I'm just afraid I'll make another mistake.

Happy New Year!
    Last edited by IBrakeforPastry; 01-04-2014 at 06:17 AM.

650B's won't work on a pacer frame. A Disc Trucker or a Surly Troll can do a 650B. Soma has a new 650B bike frame that is pretty cool - The Grand Randonneur, designed by Boulder Bicycles.
    Go to SomaFab and see what the frame sizes are. I would be concerned with toe overlap on the 42 pacer as it has to have a 700C wheel. Have you considered a trucker at all?
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Yes, you're right. I was looking at the Soma Buena Vista the same time I was looking at the Pacer. The BV would take the 650B. I haven't really looked at the Trucker. I'm not doing any loaded touring. If I ever manage a bike overnight it will be with day panniers, a motel reservation, and a credit card. The Pacer just seemed a little more sporty.

I know what I need to do. There is a bike shop about 80 miles from here that does women specific fittings and sells Terry bikes. I spoke to Georgena Terry (yes, she answers her own phone) and she recommended the shop (she lives nearby). So maybe I'll take a road trip.

This is what happens when it's snowing and the temps are well below freezing. Thanks for your input.

4'11 chimes in. I tried the Pacer and felt seriously stretched out. I chose the B V mixte at 42 cm. Despite the "girls" frame it's light, zippy and fast. The BV would do almost any ride I'd do with my custom road bike but with the option to carry my gear.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I used to ride a 42cm Pacer. I'm 5'2". The fit was good for me. It did have toe overlap but I don't do track stands so it wasn't a concern. I really liked the bike. Not as light and fast as many other road bikes, but very stable and comfortable. I did many big climbs and big descents on that bike. I only moved on from the Pacer when I got a Gunnar Sport frame.

Jamis has some nice steel roads bikes in small sizes.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon