Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I will be using a local ISP that I've had for email for a very long time. I like the fact that they're local (I can actually go to their office!). They are extremely helpful in all matters. For example, they helped me set up my modem and get my internet working when I could get NO help from the phone company. I send them an email and receive a response in one hour. If you have any option like that, I'd highly recommend it. They really seem to care.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Putting up own website - where to turn?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    I will be using a local ISP that I've had for email for a very long time. I like the fact that they're local (I can actually go to their office!). They are extremely helpful in all matters. For example, they helped me set up my modem and get my internet working when I could get NO help from the phone company. I send them an email and receive a response in one hour. If you have any option like that, I'd highly recommend it. They really seem to care.
    That works, too! You can have domain registered at one place, and host at another.
    For Wordpress though, it requires certain types of software based servers so you must make sure they are set up for that.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Thanks Irulan!

I got some input from a friend yesterday, he does website management for a few people and he recommended godaddy and Wordpress as the way to go. He also recommended that I sign up for lynda.com for their video tutorials on all things computer-y. But that's another $25 per month. I think I'll try without first and see how I do.

I'm going to take the plunge this weekend and see what I can make happen.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

So, I started looking at themes on Wordpress and I feel like I have no clue what the heck. I need a Wordpress jargon 101 class or something. I'm sure I'll figure it out but I hate this stage of learning when it all seems like gobbleteegook.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    So, I started looking at themes on Wordpress and I feel like I have no clue what the heck. I need a Wordpress jargon 101 class or something. I'm sure I'll figure it out but I hate this stage of learning when it all seems like gobbleteegook.
    I find WordPress to be way more than I need, and the help sections aren't that helpful since they assume you know something about coding, which I have no interest in. I manage one website with Weebly and one with Wordpress, and frankly, the Weebly one is so much easier.

We use Wordpress and GoDaddy. Thom could probably give you some advice since he set ours up. I don't find it difficult to post, when I bother to post.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    There are good non-Wordpress sites for help out there, lots of them. I think I found a glossary that helped me sort out all the lingo. Plug-in vs widget and so on.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    There are good non-Wordpress sites for help out there, lots of them. I think I found a glossary that helped me sort out all the lingo. Plug-in vs widget and so on.
    I signed up for lynda.com as my web dude friend suggested. It's $25/month for unlimited educational video access on every computer topic you can imagine. You can turn off the monthly access and not pay as desired. So far I've already gotten my moneys worth in 90 min of cruising the site this morning. It's perfect for someone like me who has the ability to learn this stuff but is really starting from scratch.

Unfortunately, part of what I've learned so far is that I will likely have to upgrade from Windows XP to at least windows 7 to do the stuff I want to on my home computer first before publishing my site to the web. That means learning a bunch of new computery stuff. Well, I needed an excuse to clean up my computer anyway.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Getting support on XP is going to get progressively more difficult. Better off just migrating over to win7. If you have problems with managing your web site or access via FTP, you will have better support on a win7 machine than on XP.

Save yourself from grief and save time by migrating over to win7.

And one thing about godaddy. Be careful!! They like to tack things on and extend your contract to 5 years without your explicit authorization. Really into upsell!! They like to pull the trigger on implied authorization so pay attention to your credit card billing and elsewhere. They are fairly responsive in straightening out your order so don't let it slide.

That was my experience with them years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    Getting support on XP is going to get progressively more difficult. Better off just migrating over to win7. If you have problems with managing your web site or access via FTP, you will have better support on a win7 machine than on XP.

And one thing about godaddy. Be careful!! They like to tack things on and extend your contract to 5 years without your explicit authorization. Really into upsell!! They like to pull the trigger on implied authorization so pay attention to your credit card billing and elsewhere. They are fairly responsive in straightening out your order so don't let it slide.

Migrating to windows 7 is the plan. Thanks for all the input smilingcat.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post

Well, that's not my experience. Ever. Never had an account problem with them. I've hosted up to five websites and domains with them and nothing auto renews unless I've set it up that way. I've been with them for about ten years. Now if you forget, or aren't paying attention, that's a personal problem and not them doing things with out authorization. They are always trying too sell me additional months, I do agree with that. I do pay attention to that, heck yeah- if I can save $75 on a two year contract sure I'll renew now.

Plus I'm pretty sure it's illegal to charge things that aren't authorized, so pay attention to what you are signing up for.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    THis is for anyone reading who still would like to blog but wants to start off cheaply for "free" and especially if they just want a personal blog. or would like to have a blog for a non-profit organization.

If you have bought your own domain, you can still use the free Wordpress.com. If you don't buy your own blog wordpress.com domain, then the address will have wordpress embedded: http://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com

Here's a recent article written why this expert blogger still chooses .com for her personal blogs. http://onecoolsitebloggingtips.com/2...s-com-hosting/ The blogger is a lead volunteer support person for the last few years on the wordpress.com support forums.

I have used both .org (self-hosted blogs) and .com versions (on wordpress.com host servers) of wordpress. There are key features in .com that would satisfy most bloggers for their personal needs and for one-person businesses that just needs a simple blog-website..if their own little business.

Previously I did not design any website but my career has required that I configure and roll out databases enterprise-wide over a network. I am not at the developer level but more of a super user that has designed screen and output reports, some simple coding for report design and only using corporate IT expertise when things break down or ensure I stay within corporate wide technical configurations.

Unless you buy CSS-on to customize .com blog, the "coding" in a wordpress.com is not that much/very little to know/write. Writing and posting a blog post with photos..is actually just a little more than posting....to TE forums. http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2014/...ur-first-post/

Look: this guy knits teddy bears as his own little business. His blog-website is truly on wordpress.com He began with not much: http://madmanknitting.wordpress.com He was profiled by wordpress.com and received hundreds of thousands of readers...his beginnings makes an interesting story.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 01-04-2014 at 05:03 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

So a relative who is recently out of college needs to set up a website as part of his job-search efforts, and I've been asked to help. I can code but am not a designer or graphics person. I do a quick search for open source website software... WordPress looks interesting ... I think some TE folks have used WordPress, let me do a quick search.......

Seriously I think we have discussed pretty much everything on this forum, and it is so useful. You all are wonderful.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    ny biker, my link goes to my blog in my signature in this forum. Wordpress.com has some free templates that mimic a simple website very easily. He should have something visual in terms of his byline, a graphic, etc.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

just use wordpress or wix