Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Photo Editing

Photo Editing

To disable ads, please log-in.

How ruthless are you in editing your photos?

Thom came to my workout this morning to shoot and took 177 photos in about 80 minutes. We ended up with 5 shots that made the final cut. He was playing with lighting today.

The others are here.

We have some relatives who could be a little more ruthless.

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica; 12-30-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

those guns! Wow!

I do edit down our photos as far as choosing the best one from a selection. I figure people don't need to see 10 shots of us hiking--one is usually sufficient. I don't usually photoshop any of our pictures unless I plan on ordering an enlarged print that will be displayed. I edit photos all day long as part of my job so I can be hyper-critical if I let myself. When it comes to family photos I let them be as they are--imperfect but full of great memories.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Thanks! My upper body puts on muscle if I sneeze.

I'm not a big fan of posed group shots, especially the ones where the group is just standing there. I like photos of people doing things, even if they look dorky.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Yes, I totally agree. "Action" shots are the best no matter the circumstance!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

I don't take photos unless I am forced to (I specialize in cutting heads off), but for reference, DH took over 1,000 photos when we went to Spain. Most of them he took while riding . How these come out well, I don't know. We ended up with about 700. He edits a lot of stuff to the point it drives me nuts. I don't care if something is off center, etc. He's a good photographer, but to me, it's just for the memory. I agree, action shots are the best... we don't have too many posed pictures.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I usually keep about a quarter of my shots. If I'm trying for a specific shot I may end up keeping one of 10 or one of 20. The trick to editing vacation shots is for me to pare immediately, and then to do it again after a month or so. By then even I can see how boring many of them are!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I take alot of photos. I should be more ruthless--maybe I'll pare down and delete 8% of shots or so. Otherwise it will cost me computer memory-wise! I have looked at some photo blocs months later and pared down even more.

Since I blog, in addition just wanting photos for personal memories I'm taking a broader range of pics. Dearie also uses some of my pics (different ones) for his blogs and other stuff related to cycling advocacy.

In sending a few photos of myself to loved ones by email, yes about 25% of them are me on bike because I'm vacationing somewhere, but more often it's photos of me that has nothing to do with biking --I think that's how they would like to remember/visualize me: they know other facets/expressions of me.

Yesterday I recently submitted a short blog post about self with requested photos of me in action to a popular blog --which means on bike or snowshoeing. After scrolling through thousands of pics (yes) taken on my camera in past 8 months, I found I didn't have many decent ones of me close-up on bike. So after approx. 25 pics by dearie later yesterday, there were 3 good ones. I sent one I liked the most --a rare shot of me, from a distance, cycling against a snowy city skyline/ background. The sunlight was just right..
    Last edited by shootingstar; 12-30-2013 at 12:48 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Since I now use manual focus digital rangefinders I shoot in a completely different way than when I used dslr’s.

It’s been good for my creativity to get away from superfluous menus and back to taking my time to seeing light, setting exposure, focusing and composing. Even if I’m setting exposure, using zone focusing, composing and shooting quickly I feel I’m getting more of my creativity into images……and I have a lot less photos, but no less satisfying ones, to look through when I start post processing.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    Since I now use manual focus digital rangefinders I shoot in a completely different way than when I used dslr’s.

It’s been good for my creativity to get away from superfluous menus and back to taking my time to seeing light, setting exposure, focusing and composing. Even if I’m setting exposure, using zone focusing, composing and shooting quickly I feel I’m getting more of my creativity into images……and I have a lot less photos, but no less satisfying ones, to look through when I start post processing.
    Well, rebecca are there any manual pocket sized digital rangefinders? I used to deal with my Nikon manual SLR and took some good shots..ages ago when hard copy prints was the main option.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

not pocket size but much smaller than dslr's and with mine at least image quality very close to medium format. I can easily fit one of my rangefinders, an attached lens and another lens in my small topeak handlebar bag. There are some small mirror less cameras like the sony nex series that still aren't pocketable but in a good price range, easily used manually, with sensors as good as comparable dslrs and again much smaller than a dslr.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

A timely thread as I'm working on a photo book about our trip to Australia last month. I managed to cut 1000+ photos to under 300. Used iMovie to put them together in a slide show (which I also uploaded to youtube) - this will probably be how I'll share them with most folks who are brave enough to ask (it's still 20 minutes long!). But I'd like to get them printed in a nice photo book for ourselves and it is proving to be a LOT of work. Blurb has a 40% off coupon which expires tonight - I really don't know if I'll make it by the deadline!

Quote Originally Posted by BikeDutchess View Post
    A timely thread as I'm working on a photo book about our trip to Australia last month. I managed to cut 1000+ photos to under 300. Used iMovie to put them together in a slide show (which I also uploaded to youtube) - this will probably be how I'll share them with most folks who are brave enough to ask (it's still 20 minutes long!). But I'd like to get them printed in a nice photo book for ourselves and it is proving to be a LOT of work. Blurb has a 40% off coupon which expires tonight - I really don't know if I'll make it by the deadline!
    asking

You brave soul! And not even a relative ! PM sent.

I am a photographer by profession. I am ruthlessly brutal about editing. Usually I keep one out of every 10-20 if that… We were taught that way. When I was a freshman in college we had to shoot 10 rolls of film for every assignment and we'd turn in no more than 3-5 photos.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N