Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Non-Clip in Pedals for Cross?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Haven't got the bike, yet, and my thought was originally a do-everything bike. But, I had fun going over obstacles when I test-rode--curbs, roots, hey, why not? In fact, it's exactly the way I rode when I was a kid on a 10 speed. Some people never grow up.

So: Good mountain bike pedals and five-ten shoes? Or should I do spd on one side, and platform/bmx on the other? I do have some tiny spd pedals on my shelf. But they don't seem quite right. Not yet, anyway. And I'd need some real mountain bike spd shoes. Don't really want to buy those right now. I do have some soft, commuter shoes to go with them, but I need something with stiffer soles to go with those pedals. They bothered my feet the few times I used them.

Suggestions?

Not sure what I'll end up doing, but want to be able to try.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 04-22-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Re: Best Non-Clip in Pedals for Cross?

You want your feet to stay on the pedals as you go over obstacles. I would get a
    good pair of BMX pedals and 5-10s
    but I could be biased. I do Know that with all of my mtb adventures I never had a problem keeping my feet on the pedals and I just had hiking shoes on my feet.

Keep in mind that I rode my mtb for over a year with just cheap platforms and hiking shoes, so I'm not sure you actually need anything fancy. But if you want to go the route of BMX pedals and a grippy shoe like a Five Ten, there are a ton of pedals out there, some far cheaper than others. I did a lot of reading on the subject before I bought mine and often felt my head spinning from the choices. Here's a thread with a good discussion, courtesy of Irulan, on some features to look for. If you think road clipless is bad in terms of options, you haven't seen anything yet. I, personally, have benefited from not being clipped in on my mtb. I think it would mess with my confidence too much to use clipless at this stage in the game.

A lot of mtb instructors will tell you that clipless pedals can be a crutch when it comes to lifting your wheels. I've still not particularly expert on lifting my front or rear wheel in the first place, so I can't/won't judge the means by which people get their wheels up, but the instruction I've read would suggest that clipless pedals are not necessary.

I'd add that Five Tens can be kind of funky when it comes to fit. If you can't find them locally, I'd look at a place like Zappos, with a generous shipping and return policy. You may need to go up in size depending on the model. There are a number of discussions on this subject on MTBR. You might go there for some fit advice.
    Last edited by indysteel; 04-22-2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: I initially provided the wrong link to the past thread.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

It looks like 5-10's only have one womens shoe for cycling? Well, at my size, I can try the men's, unless they have a weird, bulky fit. But that makes sizing even more difficult. So, yes. Zappos it is.

Do you have the shoe with the Raptor Tongue?

I've had the Straitline Amp pedals in my 'cart' on Amazon since I bought my mountain bike. Pricey, but may be the best choice.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    It looks like 5-10's only have one womens shoe for cycling? Well, at my size, I can try the men's, unless they have a weird, bulky fit. But that makes sizing even more difficult. So, yes. Zappos it is.

Do you have the shoe with the Raptor Tongue?

I've had the Straitline Amp pedals in my 'cart' on Amazon since I bought my mountain bike. Pricey, but may be the best choice.
    I have the Amps and like them, but I'd give that Wellgo that Irulan has a good look. Certainly, the price is way more attractive, and the fact that they are Irulan-approved is a big selling point in my opinon.

I can't remember if I have the Five Ten Freedrider or Impact. They're not a women specific shoe: I know that. And they're not all that attractive, but I don't really care.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Best Non-Clip in Pedals for Cross?

Teva also makes some mtb shoes. I have the Links, but they have a couple of options. I've been considering picking up the Freewheel. They come in 3 colors.
    Last edited by thekarens; 04-22-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I think I'm going to get two pair of Wellgo pedals. One for my mountain bike, and one for my not-yet-existent cross bike. I'll do magnesium on the MB (in red), and some lighter ones that remind me of the Straitlines on the Cross (bright white, will match perfectly).

Not sure if I need to spend $$ on shoes quite yet, but will definitely splurge eventually.

Question: the Freeride 5-10's have no tread at the ball of the foot, and this is supposed to be good.

Does anyone understand this?

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

It's not tread that helps with grip. It's thevsoft rubber of the sole combined with the pins of the pedal. A tread would interfere with the pins. At least that's my understanding of the shoe/pedal compound.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Do you have the 5-10's with no tread, then?

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I think I'm going to get two pair of Wellgo pedals. One for my mountain bike, and one for my not-yet-existent cross bike. I'll do magnesium on the MB (in red), and some lighter ones that remind me of the Straitlines on the Cross (bright white, will match perfectly).

Not sure if I need to spend $$ on shoes quite yet, but will definitely splurge eventually.

Question: the Freeride 5-10's have no tread at the ball of the foot, and this is supposed to be good.

Does anyone understand this?
    So you're getting the CAADX, then?

What Indy says makes sense to me. It's sort of like tire tread for road tires.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    So you're getting the CAADX, then?

Big time.

Weren't you also looking at the Caadx in a 51?

Will it be a problem to use the pedals with tread for awhile? Can't spend the money yet.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Big time.

Weren't you also looking at the Caadx in a 51?

Will it be a problem to use the pedals with tread for awhile? Can't spend the money yet.
    I don't think it would be a huge issue, provided they don't have serious tread. Just don't get wet!

I was (and am) still drooling over a CAADX, though trying to find one to test-ride is going to be...difficult. I really want the version with discs, though, and it's going to be a while before I can cough up that kind of money. (Besides, I still need a new roadie!) I need a 51 in the women's SuperSix; I'd need a 48 in the CAADX, I think. It's a hair shorter than my Charge, but I think it'd be fine, since I can't decide if I need a shorter stem on it or I feel like I have more weight on my hands because the bar tape isn't as cushy as the stuff on my road bike.

Suffice it to say that if I won the lottery, I'd make some Cannondale dealer very happy.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

There is virtually no tread on my Five Tens.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I don't think it would be a huge issue, provided they don't have serious tread. Just don't get wet!

I was (and am) still drooling over a CAADX, though trying to find one to test-ride is going to be...difficult. I really want the version with discs, though, and it's going to be a while before I can cough up that kind of money. (Besides, I still need a new roadie!) I need a 51 in the women's SuperSix; I'd need a 48 in the CAADX, I think. It's a hair shorter than my Charge, but I think it'd be fine, since I can't decide if I need a shorter stem on it or I feel like I have more weight on my hands because the bar tape isn't as cushy as the stuff on my road bike.

Suffice it to say that if I won the lottery, I'd make some Cannondale dealer very happy.
    LOL! I'll have to see what I end up doing with this entry-level CAADX. No idea if a higher end model is ever going to be appropriate for me. And I still want a steel-disc X, but I need to be able to test ride more. Even if it is the wrong size, have to have an idea of ride quality before I buy. Oh, and then there is the Soma Buena Vista....

So many bikes.

Wish you were closer, I suspect you'd enjoy a test-ride on my road bike.

What do you mean, 'as long as you don't get wet?'

Maybe I'll wait on the BMX pedals until I can afford the shoes.

Can anyone tell me how the mens sizing in the 5-10's compares to their regular street shoe? In street shoes, I wear a 10. In womens trail shoes, a 10.5. I think the 5-10 chart listed a womens 10.5 as compable to a men's 9.5. Does this sound reasonable?
    Last edited by Muirenn; 04-24-2013 at 04:42 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I wear just plain hiking shoes with my BMX pedals and it worked fine - at least for mountain biking it did Now, I never got into the longer distances, and I stopped fairly often so that might have been part of it as well. I did look for a hiking shoe with less aggressive tread to make certain the pins would have some surface to work with.