Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    To couples married in Utah from one of the couples married in CA before prop 8; keep calm, you're still married. You get the thrill of filing taxes jointly, shopping for a tandem .... it'll all work out in the lower courts there I think.

And to those in Utah who were planning to get married today don't worry. There's CA and WA which have great cycling and food, just sayin' and however many other states we're up to and soon Illinois I think? I've lost track. Think it's 17 and I can never remember it that's with or without DC.

Humorous link follows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXxNSb8X1w
    I saw them at the Acme Comedy Theatre when they did a show here in LA….funny stuff

Wondering why Sotomayor let it go to the entire court????….You know the Utah attorney general will challenge the validity of the licenses granted but hopefully the 10th circuit will resolve the issue of the stay in our favor to make that a non-issue soon. The marriages are official for Federal issues regardless of what the state does.

YES come to Ca….and if Los Angeles I'll photograph their wedding gratis and with a
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 01-06-2014 at 11:20 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Oklahoma's gay marriage ban was also ruled unconstitutional by another federal judge. He did order a stay until the 10th circuit hears the case. I think Kansas is the last state in the 10th still with a ban. What a nice change from when a lot of the bans took place in the early to mid 2000's.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 01-14-2014 at 06:12 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

Re: Downtown Salt Lake City today...

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    Oklahoma's gay marriage ban was also ruled unconstitutional by another federal judge. He did order a stay until the 10th circuit hears the case. I think Kansas is the last state in the 10th still with a ban. What a nice change from when a lot of the bans took place in the early to mid 2000's.
    I was just reading that story. Things really seem to be rolling.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I'm thrilled with all the new states coming on board, but having been out since the 70's history tells me to buckle in for the backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    I'm thrilled with all the new states coming on board, but having been out since the 70's history tells me to buckle in for the backlash.
    Even with the shift in public opinion and growing acceptance there are those who have heard nothing but how intrinsically morally evil it is during the attempts for the state constitutional bans and now in their churches, communities and from their politicians. Unfortunately, even with positive judicial rulings, we will still hear how gay marriage is a threat to children, family, heterosexual marriage, faith and freedom from those whose intolerance is greater than their caring/compassion. I put my faith and hope in generational changing attitudes. In looking at other civil rights movements I see developments in society and culture mattering more than those in jurisprudence.

I do see one large positive with the judicial rulings that have come out in the recent past. I was in my late teens when the state constitutional bans started. I’m just glad other teens don’t have to deal with those feelings mixed in with understanding their sexuality.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 01-16-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Even here in KY, there's a pair of cases headed to the courts right now. Utah (and now Oklahoma) have given folks hope!

But have y'all heard the news from Nigeria? There was an appalling story on NPR last night about the situation there.

Quote Originally Posted by skhill View Post
    Even here in KY, there's a pair of cases headed to the courts right now. Utah (and now Oklahoma) have given folks hope!

But have y'all heard the news from Nigeria? There was an appalling story on NPR last night about the situation there.
    It’s heartbreaking to see what’s happening there now and with the laws just passed in the Uganda parliament…actually to a varying extent in most of Africa. It reinforces how fortunate we are here.

And today Kentucky joined the party, partially! A fed judge has said that the state has to recognize all marriages legally performed in other places. The state doesn't have to allow same-sex marriages to be performed here, at least not yet, but it's a huge step, completely out of the blue.

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...-federal-judge

I'm looking forward to the day when this is a non-issue. The generational shift gives me hope!
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

It's more than a bit sad that there's been no word from the governor or the AG (both democrats) on if the state will appeal. While the governor is in his final term and swears he's never running for office again, his son is a candidate for AG, and the current AG might run for governor, so they're both likely a bit scared. A recent poll found that 65% of Kentuckians support our anti-marriage amendment, after all. Pretty major move from when it passed 75% to 25% in 2004, however....

Today Jennifer Rambo and Kristin Seaton were the first couple to be legally married in Arkansas after a Circuit Court Judge found the Arkansas constitutional amendment banning gay marriage unconstitutional and did not stay the ruling.

One more step forward. I sure wish the federal government would step up and make it legal.
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    One more step forward. I sure wish the federal government would step up and make it legal.
    Me too! We are married here in IL but are looking at a retirement place in FL... where we're not legal. *sigh*

Electra Townie 7D

We're in Texas and haven't gone anywhere to get married. We had a ceremony here several years ago. It would be nice to make it legal before we die.
    2013 Electra Verse

well thanks to the supreme court leaving intact lower court rulings.....people in 5 additional states have legal rights for same-sex marriage today. 6 more states have rulings that should give their citizens the right and the 9th Circuit Court should soon be affirming the freedom in 5 western states that have bans.