Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thumbs down feeling a bit dis-enfranchised

To disable ads, please log-in.

My husband is within a year of retirement at age 66. He had medical insurance through the company. I carry a seperate coverage card. Today I had my annual physical and the billing people could not get my coverage recognized. It turned out although in the past I have always been seperately listed under my own ss# . since I have now turned 65, I am now linked to my husbands ss# and no longer am recognized as a second entity. When he retires and medicare kicks in, neither one of us will be recognized. The price os aging in the US.

Feeling a bit bitter.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

What? This doesn't make sense.
    My insurance card (carried under my DH's company's Blue Cross policy) has my name on it, but the card for dental coverage does not. It has his name. I know plenty of people over the age of 65 and no one has ever mentioned that the wife becomes linked to her husband's ss account for Medicare. My former neighbors, are both over 65. She is still working as a professor at BC, and turned 65 about a year ago. Her DH lost his job quite a few years ago, and retired. He is older than her. He signed up for Medicare when he was 65, although he still had insurance through her job. She also signed up, although they still have private insurance. I've never heard them say anything about their accounts being linked and I've had more than one discussion with them about Medicare. I am seeing them tomorrow and will ask. What do you mean, neither of you will be recognized after age 65? My dad is almost 89 and has never said this!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

It sounds like your husband's insurance doesn't provide for dependents who are eligible for Medicare? Is that what you're saying? That's pretty common for them to require you to sign up for Medicare and get a Medigap policy instead.

Are you eligible for Social Security on your own account, or only on his income history? If it's the latter, that would be why you'd have to apply for Medicare using his SSN.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

it has nothing to do with SS which I haven't earned enough to benefit from, but with his private insurance. I will have a separate medicare card, its just that the company insurance no longer regards me as a separate individual. No doubt I was feeling grumpy having just had a physical, blood work, tetanus, flu, pneumonia and shingles shots.

thanks for the advice and thanks for listening.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

That's interesting that they did in the first place. My partner and children are covered under my insurance through my job. I'm the "insured" and they are the "dependents." They have to have my info when going to the doctor. I guess they all have their own weird way of doing things.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse