Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decembrrrrr!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Congrats, GLC! So glad your foot is holding up.
    Oak, I know you will follow your training plan and run as fast as your coach thinks you can. I wish had the diligence to follow a plan, but I know what happens when I try!
    So, today is the first day my mouth hasn't hurt like hell and am starting to think about running. Of course, now there is snow everywhere and I see a lot of runners putting themselves in precarious positions on the narrow country roads that are even narrower. And, it was 4 degrees when I left for work this morning. Anyway, I hate the treadmill, but it is supposed to be warmer, with rain washing away the snow on Friday and Saturday, so maybe a run is in the future. Getting another ski in tomorrow, though.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin, that just plain sounds COLD, I don't blame you at all! It is supposed to reach 50 here this weekend...with rain

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Congrats, GLC. Nicely done!

Nice job, GLC!

I've run in 4F before and never again... that's what the treadmill is there for.

And today was a treadmill day, not so much for the temp but for the wind. I set out for a 4 mile tempo run (because there's a 35 minute hard time limit on the treadmills) but I was getting really light-headed approaching 3 miles so I stopped. Don't know if it was the warmth of the room or not eating anything beforehand, but I'm going to be sure to eat and drink better next time. Still, 3 miles in 25 minutes even, I'll take it!

Not so brrrr today, we're having a very warm spell. It was 52F (with a 15mph wind) when I set out at 6 a.m.! Shorts and a very light long-sleeved shirt, with bare head and hands, oh my. But there was rain approaching, so I kept it shorter than I had intended and just did 5 miles. Timed it well, as the rain started about 10 minutes after I got home, just in time for the dog's walk. But it's a lot easier to manage an umbrella while walking a dog than while running.

Sounds like fun skhill! It is 57 here today...and rainy. It will be around dark before I get home so no running for me today. Hopefully I can get some in this weekend but we will see. I want to do SOMETHING outside!

I ran today, for the first time in 3 weeks, 3 miles. Had to walk a bit more than last time, as my hip was cranky from my snow shoe yesterday, but I felt good. Stretched before and after.
    It was about 55. I wanted to ride, but the thought of narrow roads, with melting snow, and crazed Christmas shoppers out stopped me. And I was dressed right, for once.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

LOL, it was 24 when I went on my run yesterday afternoon and it felt warm to me. It's quite a change from the last couple of weeks (I think the warmest it's been in the morning is 18F). I can't fathom 50-something

Nice but tough run yesterday. About 4" of fresh, unconsolidated snow on top of old, crusty snow on the trail. I was happy I had my microspikes in my bag (normally I don't really need/want them). I was pretty wiped after that. I opted for the dreadmill today, first time in a couple of years, I think. Man, that is one painful way to run. I'd forgottten how awful it is! More power to those of you who do that on a regular basis.

Record high today - 78, 75% humidity and 20 mph wind straight up the beach, and for some reason they decided to run the annual out-and-back 5K in the afternoon this year.

25:44, which considering the wind, the heat and humidity, the sand surface (hard packed, but still a lot less resilient than asphalt) not to mention the fact that my legs were trashed from morning yoga, I'll take it. Plus I jogged out another 1.5 or so since I had 4.5 total in my training plan - coach knew I was doing the 5K today but forgot to pencil it in.

We are supposed to have every kind of weather known to humanity in the next four days at my MIL's. I'm bringing a variety of running clothes but not sure what I'll have time for. We'll see. I can't wait for the holiday season to be over.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

After my tough but good run on Friday, an interminable hour on the treadmill on Saturday, and what felt like the hardest skate ski I've ever done yesterday, I woke up with a cold this AM. I think the ski wasn't all that bad, but I was starting to come down with this thing, whatever it is. True, I was trying to keep up with a friend who is training for a big XC ski race, but, still, I usually don't have that much trouble shadowing her. Every time she threw down the V2 on the uphill I thought I was going to die.

We'll see how I feel tonight before I decide if I am going to run (outside--no thanks on the dreadmill). I often feel better if I run when I am sick. It's never a blistering pace, but it helps clear the crud.

Hi all. I am currently on vaca in the mountains in the NE. We came up Saturday to XC ski and hike and got hit with the ice storm. So we have mostly been out just walking. It made me a bit nutty at first but as long as I can get out and move I will be ok and not get cabin fever. The temps are supposed to really drop today and the high tomorrow is supposed to be 6. So we will get out the crampons and ice axes and go hike. Crazy weather.

If I'm a little congested an easy run does help clear things too, usually.

My 5 miles was much faster than usual today, due to some homicidal drivers out on the road. After the first near miss, my pace kicked up from 8:50/mile to 8:30; after the second, it dropped to 8:00 for the final 2 miles. (A brisk tailwind probably contributed too). Really, is it so hard to stop for red lights?

I didn't do much running last week but I'm OK with that. I'm calling it a 'rest' week. ;-)

I did 6 miles on Saturday because the weather was nice and I felt like going out. Sunday I managed another mile total on the treadmill as warm up and cool down for a weight workout. Tomorrow, my training plan for my next half (April) officially starts with a 3 mile run.

We are due for over a week of unseasonably dry weather starting tomorrow, so I'm kind of excited!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Nine miles in chilly pouring rain, poor visibility, on narrow busy roads with no shoulder, and that was by FAR the best part of my day. Is Christmas over yet?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Got out for a hike yesterday. I think it was abiut 3 degrees when we started out, the high for the day topped at at 12 or so. We had a great hike, tough but good. There was a section of trail that gained 1000 vertical feet in just 1/2 mile. It was solid ice. frozen river of ice. Tough goinging. We needed full 12 point crampons. My hubs even had to rig a belay to get me up and over one section. Good times.

This morning it is -8. As soon as it warms up a litlle, we will heaad out for today's hike. I will try and post up some pics. I am on a tablet and have not tried it before.
    Last edited by rocknrollgirl; 12-25-2013 at 03:37 AM.