Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music Choices

To disable ads, please log-in.

I really like certain kinds of country music: Texas Swing, Bluegrass, Americana, folk but something in most commercial country eludes me. I mean, rhyming "butt crack" and " greasy ball cap"? ....ew. I really heard that, more than once, on a Pandora station they were streaming at the gym.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    I really like certain kinds of country music: Texas Swing, Bluegrass, Americana, folk but something in most commercial country eludes me. I mean, rhyming "butt crack" and " greasy ball cap"? ....ew. I really heard that, more than once, on a Pandora station they were streaming at the gym.
    Listening to Sissel's version of O Helga Natt (O Holy Night) and reading your post about lyrics in today's country music sort of ruined a beautiful music. Country music left me long time ago. Something much nicer is needed. Det Vackraste (living in a dream) There is an English version on Youtube. Original by Cecilia Vennersten is just as nice as the English version.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    something in most commercial country eludes me. I mean, rhyming "butt crack" and " greasy ball cap"? ....ew. I really heard that, more than once, on a Pandora station they were streaming at the gym.
    LM"GBC"O ...

Most commercial *music* eludes me, whether it's rock, hip-hop or country. Both music and lyrics are inane at best, and the lyrics are often offensive whatever the genre. Basically, they're just a vehicle to keep people listening while they string commercials together.

Truly? The way I usually find new artists is by *reading* about them. A critic or publication I respect, or an artist I enjoy, will give a shout-out to their favorites. If the description appeals to me, I'll listen to a youtube clip and buy if I like them. (And it really takes that verbal hook, to me. I have a few FB friends in the music industry who are constantly posting videos, and I almost never watch unless they TELL me what I'm in for, first.)

Music festivals are the other main way I get exposed to new artists. No less than three of my new favorites were artists I heard for the first time at Nelsonville this year.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 12-13-2013 at 04:14 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

great documentary on Joni Mitchell…it's 90 minutes of going from her youth in Saskatchewan to 2003 when Susan Lacy made the documentary.

‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Reviving old thread here..

What free music app do you listen the most for training purposes.

So far we use Songza, sometimes Spotify. There is also Rock my run I like as their mixes are nice.

Free apps like Songza are good but without paying for their playlists, you cannot skip more than 6 songs I think without being blocked due to some rights. And you do have ads once in a while (mostly on spotify), but that is the price to pay if you do not purchase a membership.

Generally, I use my own made up playlist on my iPhone but sometimes, it is fun to listen to other songs. So I may try the Latin (for zumba type music), rock or pop, etc. for my workouts.

Anyone out there you think is cooler than another one that I (and even some of us) may not know about yet? Someone mentioned 8tracks.com but I have not looked at it yet.

Thanks.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I have to control the music I listen to, otherwise I end up listening to music that I don't want to hear. So I don't use any apps. I have the TuneIn app installed on my mobile devices but that's only so I can listen to the college radio station where my nephew does sports broadcasting. (While waiting for his shows and games sometimes I listen to the music they play, and it's uniformly awful. I think they call it new wave.)

I am old school, I like to buy CDs. I don't have much time to create playlists. I rip new CDs to my pcs at work and home, then copy them to my Sansa clip MP3 player if I want to be able to listen to it at the gym or while I'm out taking a walk. My car has a 6-CD changer so I use the actual CDs there. I will be sad when I have to get a new car since they don't come with CD players anymore.

As for what I listen to, mostly Foo Fighters. They have more than enough albums out now so I can switch between them and not get bored. (I like to eat the same thing for breakfast every day too -- creature of habit. ) And they have more than enough up-tempo music for working out. If I listen to music at work, I jump around -- sometimes classical, sometimes Marshall Crenshaw or Stevie Ray Vaughn or Steely Dan or CSNY or Led Zeppelin or Willie Nelson or Clapton or whatever else is on my hard drive. My newest additions are from Gary Clark, Jr (I do like a good guitar), the most recent from U2 and a greatest-hits compilation of Willie Nelson.

Some years back when I used the stationary bike at the gym I would usually pick one great up-tempo song and put it on repeat. Springsteen's Thunder Road worked well for that, and Born to Run.

I freely admit that I am stuck in a rut, musically. But when I hear recent hit songs I usually end up wondering how such an awful song could be so popular. I did like Taylor Swift's Shake it Off, though.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post

As for what I listen to, mostly Foo Fighters. They have more than enough albums out now so I can switch between them and not get bored.
    I attended a Foo Fighters concert in August. I was so excited for the entire month beforehand, I just put my ipod on Foo Fighters and it was seriously enough for a month! I took my fourteen year old son to the concert with me and he commented on how much music and how varied it was as well (and he knew the words to all the songs - probably because he's been listening to them in the car since he was born :-))

I don't use any apps. Just my ipod. I do love buying music on iTunes, then clicking on "other people who bought this song also bought..." to see what recommendations it comes up with. With two boys, one a teen and one a tween, I get exposed to a lot of music I don't like, but I do find some things that are really catchy. Great to work out to, not so great just to listen to in the car.

I was at the July 4 festival in DC, the first show after Dave broke his leg where they introduced the Throne. It was fantastic. I wanted to go up to NYC for the Citi Field shows but it conflicted with a big family event.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I was at the July 4 festival in DC, the first show after Dave broke his leg where they introduced the Throne. It was fantastic. I wanted to go up to NYC for the Citi Field shows but it conflicted with a big family event.
    I'm so very jealous! I actually was in DC for the 4th of July weekend to visit a friend - I found last minute tickets available online and begged her to go with me but she didn't want to spend all day at the festival, they're just not her thing. It was a hard call -- stay with the friend I flew out to visit or go to the festival on my own!

I have the BIGGEST crush on Dave Grohl and have for years. I joke that I broke my leg in Norway, he broke his leg in Sweden. We seriously have a lot in common...(that apparently we don't have much luck in Scandinavian countries).