Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...

Sizing question on Craigslist bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am looking at a Bianchi Volpe on Craigslist that appears to be 49 cm (I asked the seller to measure it) but am not entirely sure that it wouldn't be too big. The bike is a good 2 hours away from where I live so I don't want to make the trip without being pretty confident that it will work. I am 5'2.5" with 30" inseam, longish arms. Anyone else ride one of these and have any insight into the sizing? Here's the ad: http://worcester.craigslist.org/bik/4156491884.html
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I have a Bianchi Reparto Corse frame that's labeled as a 49cm. I'm 5'4", with long arms and longer legs (about a 32-33" inseam). I have plenty of standover on mine and the reach is comfortable. If the Volpe's geometry is anything like mine, it will have a steep seat tube angle and a fairly short head tube, both of which lengthen the effective reach.

Hope this helps!

A little detective work and I've determined that it's probably a 2002. I've been able to find a few geometry charts, and this one http://sheldonbrown.com/volpe.html is probably the closest in vintage it's from 1997. It does look like over the years the geometry has changed here and there.. so it may not be exactly the same.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I got an email from the seller that weirds me out a little...in reply to my question about the sizing he said he's 5'9" and it would be awkward for him to ride. That, and the fact that he doesn't seem very knowledgeable (like someone would if they had a business of fixing up and selling used bikes) begs the question of why he has it/how he got a hold of it if it wasn't his personal bike...unless it was his wife/girlfriend's or something. I'd hate to end up buying something that was stolen! Maybe I should email back and ask him where it came from, or just pass on this one since the location is not so convenient anyway.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    I got an email from the seller that weirds me out a little...in reply to my question about the sizing he said he's 5'9" and it would be awkward for him to ride. That, and the fact that he doesn't seem very knowledgeable (like someone would if they had a business of fixing up and selling used bikes) begs the question of why he has it/how he got a hold of it if it wasn't his personal bike...unless it was his wife/girlfriend's or something. I'd hate to end up buying something that was stolen! Maybe I should email back and ask him where it came from, or just pass on this one since the location is not so convenient anyway.
    I've had good luck both buying and selling on craigslist, but you definitely have to be careful -- there are some weirdos out there. You are wise to be cautious. I'd definitely ask if this is his girlfriend's bike or just how he has it if it's not his. He could have bought it for dirt cheap at a garage sale and is just trying to make a quick buck by selling it for more than he paid -- or it could be stolen. I'd definitely do your due diligence before driving all that far.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow