Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

best saddles for tailbone pain

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a new REI Novara Mia bike and can't ride very much because of severe tailbone pain. I broke my tailbone during childbirth with my younger son. So, my birthday is next week and a new saddle is on my wish list. I've researched them online to the point of ad nauseam. I'm thinking I need one that has the cutout back so my tailbone won't rest on anything. What do y'all think of the Rido saddles? If not the Rido, which ones would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Rhonda
    Austin, Texas

If the problem is direct contact with your tailbone then a saddle with a posterior cut out may help. The Rido might accomplish that but I'm basing that statement on looking at images of the saddle only, I have no direct experience with it.

The other factor in tail bone pain is that you can have stress on the ligaments that attach to the tailbone if your saddle is too narrow, or too dome shaped from side to side. It may be helpful if you explored which (or perhaps both) of these scenarios are the problem.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Personally I think the Rido looks extremely uncomfortable. I realize that on your bike you have quite a bit of weight on the saddle and the upright position means you typically need a wider saddle than if riding a drop bar style bike. We have a fellow biking buddy who designed, owns and markets the ride out technology line. I have ridden her saddle and while it doesn't work for me on my touring bike I think it makes a ton of sense on a bike where your do sit more upright. Has some great flex so gives nicely when you hit rough spots in the road. Jeri is great to talk to so give her a call.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Thanks for your feedback everyone! Don't laugh, but I still haven't purchased the saddle. BUT, I'm getting ready to and am curious to hear feedback on this one by Terry:
    http://www.terrybicycles.com/Saddles...X-Gel-Saddle_2

Thanks everyone for your input! I FINALLY made a decision and just ordered the Liberator X gel saddle by Terry. I'll let you know how it works out...