Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Wierd mid-life indulgences

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, cycling wasn't exactly my mid-life happy "crises" change. I returned to it @32 yrs. A shade younger than mid-life. But I'm happy cycling passion bit me.

Today I indulged what surely must have been a bizarre sudden mid-life crises : suddenly I HAD to get a wide black leather belt to wear with my jeans. So I did.
    And this is the first time in my life @54 yrs., that I want and am wearing wide belt with jeans.
    I suddenly realized I should take advantage of my small frame at an-age-people-retire-early and wear black belt.

Nothing makes sense except to me. Delayed mid-life crisis. Or living in prairies ranchland area makes people belt-swagger happy.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 11-02-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I've been having a craving lately for some stylish boots and a long flowing black coat... so I understand.

I figure that since I have the athletic body to wear stylish things, I don't find it weird to want them. I try not to be "over the top," with my fashion choices, but I like the fact that I can wear Gap skinny leggings at my age. Of course, part of liking them is that I can get them over my calves .
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Oh yes, Boots!!!!
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Quote Originally Posted by smittykitty View Post
    Oh yes, Boots!!!!
    Was just up in Chicago for a few days, boots boots everywhere!! Made me want.

I just decided to hire a running coach. That weird enough for you?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    I've been having a craving lately for some stylish boots and a long flowing black coat... so I understand.
    THIS, yes AND I have them both - some kicking riding boots and a long London Fog black wool coat If I didn't have such fine hair I would consider a really cool warm hat - and depending on how cold this winter is I might break down and do that as well.

Oakleaf - that is great that you are hiring a running coach! If I ever progress far enough where that makes sense for me I might have to go there myself - but I can't afford two coaches at the same time.

Hope your running improves in spades, Oak. I probably would end up hiring an art teacher for private lessons if I could afford it.

Freaks me out just seeing prices for some of the leather boots. But gorgeous. I bought and wear a black slim spring coat with slight shine in the fabric... over 10 years ago. I get compliments from both women and men. Timelessly chic. It has been an excellent fashion investment..

FYI- after being pissed off that if I bought a leather belt, I would have to go to the shoe repair shop to pay to punch a hole. So I abandoned a $40.00 belt in the store. I didn't realize how difficult it was to find an ordinary black wide belt that fitted me.

And went direct to the shoe repair for hole punching prices. Instead I bought a cheap belt for $10.00 (leather not great but who cares) and had to have 2 extra holes (free) punches in so I could cinch in the belt around my waist properly. Size 30 inch belt is abit too big.

One of the reasons why I never a thick belt in jeans before, I thought it would just make me look shorter and stumpier by dividing my body in nearly half. I have short legs and am 5'1".
    Now I don't care.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 11-03-2013 at 03:19 PM.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

my mid life indulgence was my recent purchase of a project one custom trek madone 6.5 for my 65th birthday. I saved for it myself, made all the paint and build decisions myself and ordered it myself becuase just for one in my life I wanted something for myself that I had made all the decisions and compromises on out of my own choice. It is paying off.

If you can do it go for it.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I can't resist questioning what age has to do with the purchase of ordinary things like a belt, or boots -- or a custom Trek Madone, for that matter. Not that a Trek Madone is "ordinary" -- but what does the purchase of one have to do with age?

Hey Pam, I just realized that I denied myself of a materialistic, ordinary thing for over 50 yrs.....a belt. No deeper than that.

I haven't moved the next stage up like marni and many others here in the forum,yet. A real road bike. I have hybrids and a folding bike.

I find this topic very interesting. To make a long story short I had problems with an EBAY UK seller on a BUY IT NOW order so to make it up to me she sent me a "gift" of 2 pair of underwear that I thought were totally inappropriate for a 65 yr. old. One pair was beautiful, sexy boy shorts, made in Poland, hand embroidered, limited edition, cost about $35 US. The other pair was thongs that matched the bra I ordered. Initially I felt they added "insult to injury" as I wear basic Patagonia underwear and threw them in the back of my drawer. I'm warming up to the boy shorts but the idea of thongs?? I still can't wrap my head around them. I'm in good shape for my age but I feel these are out of my league, or are they?

I just liked the symmetry of having a 6.5 bike for my 65th birthday and it was an assertive step towards doing my own thing instead of waiting for the approval of others. Normally I am very much a make do with what you have and be grateful sort of person. Maybe its al;l about finally allowing yourself to become the person you would lkie to be instead of being the one others see you as.

Just my 2 bits.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    I find this topic very interesting. To make a long story short I had problems with an EBAY UK seller on a BUY IT NOW order so to make it up to me she sent me a "gift" of 2 pair of underwear that I thought were totally inappropriate for a 65 yr. old. One pair was beautiful, sexy boy shorts, made in Poland, hand embroidered, limited edition, cost about $35 US. The other pair was thongs that matched the bra I ordered. Initially I felt they added "insult to injury" as I wear basic Patagonia underwear and threw them in the back of my drawer. I'm warming up to the boy shorts but the idea of thongs?? I still can't wrap my head around them. I'm in good shape for my age but I feel these are out of my league, or are they?
    I've spent most of my life trying to keep my underwear out of my crack, the idea of intentionally wedging it in there seems bizarre to me.

See, that's the point though. If I walk around much with panties on, they're going into my crack. So one way of dealing with it is, the less of them there is, the better.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler