Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Interesting visit to the PT

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, I finally went back to see Walter, the MacKenzie PT I've been seeing on and off for 2 years. My lumbar region is just giving me a hard time, as well as other various areas of stiffness and pain.
    After reviewing the exercises I've been doing, per his previous orders, and his testing of my strength, he determined that I have extremely weak glutes and my piriformis is weak, too. He said my quads and hip flexors are wicked strong, and this is putting a strain on my lumbar region. I know this is a typical cyclist problem, but it does explain why I have trouble standing when I ride; it tires me so much that it's hard for me to see why people do this to get up a hill!
    So, I have a whole new set of things to do 2x a day, in the hope that after 12 years, I can actually strengthen these areas. He delightfully told me that some of my morning stiffness is "normal age related stuff," without insulting me. Running is off of my plate, maybe forever, but at least until I can work on this.
    Walter is the only medically related professional that treats me like an athlete, and not like an old person.
    My DH was amused when I told him that I need to work on my azz muscles.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin - glad you got to see your PT! Sorry to read you can't run right now, but perhaps this will make you stronger in the future. Have fun working on those azz muscles

Good luck - hope the pain resolves very soon!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oy, it took me 35 minutes to do all the stretches. I don't have to work today, but I am trying to figure out how I am going to do this on M, T, TH, when I am very busy and I go to the gym early AM on 2 of those days. Some of the things i only need to do once a day, but some need to be done twice. A few can be squeezed in before/after my class on Monday and Thursday.
    I could make a career out of keeping myself in shape.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

What does that pay? LOL. I hope you don't get stressed out trying to fit everything in. Feel better soon.
    Lucy 2012 Surly Cross Check
    Sally 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite
    Peppermint Patty 2009 Trek 4500 WSD
    Marcie 2008 Giant Sedona
    Violet 1994 Norco Kokanee

Sounds like a productive visit, but I know that PT "homework" can be a bear to do. I always start out all motivated and then start slacking over time...

Another reason standing to climb tires you is because you're bearing your body weight -- I believe I've read it's something like 25% more effort (maybe more) than seated climbing. So it's not just muscular. I can only do it for short periods of time, but with the way my Trek is geared (12-25 in the back, higher than any bike I've had in decades), I end up standing more than I'd like to avoid having to use my granny gear.

Good luck with the PT!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I don't avoid the granny gear. It kind of depends on the ride, though. I've had to use it for smaller hills I usually do in the middle ring on my Kuota, so as not to aggravate my back. Climbing does do that. I also have a 12-28 on the rear. I have a compact with mountain gearing on the back on my Guru, so if I'm in the small ring, who cares? I have to change gears a lot more on the compact, while I can be mostly in the middle on my Kuota. But, I do live in a hilly area.
    Today I used the Kuota for my metric ride to celebrate my birthday. We were in towns I rarely ride in, and did lots of neighborhood hills, some up to 5-8% grades. My back started in at about 20 miles, but, it was nothing horrible. After I stretched, it's fine.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Funny ... standing doesn't bother my back, climbing while seated can ... different injuries, different bikes, different bodies.

I was having the same conversation with my LMT the other day. She gives me at least one new stretch every visit. So does my DO. Add all the exercises I have from the PT and the DC and it would literally be a full time job. I do the ones that seem to help and slack on the rest.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Don't get me wrong -- I am happy for and do use my granny gear on steeper climbs. But there are some hills around here that are either short, and I can power over pretty quickly if I just stand; or long and slow, but not too steep, where I just don't want to have to shift up twice in back to get to where I can shift to my granny. I'm stubborn that way.

My MTB, which I also do urban rides on often around here, is obviously geared much lower, so staying in the middle ring most of the time is not even an issue. But on my roadie, I do have to work a bit harder to stay there.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Yeah, Oak, I made a decision on some of the exercises. The paper Walter gave me says to do 2 sets of some of the exercises, but he never "told" me to do 2 sets. I know he copies this from a generic PT book and puts together an individualized program. So, I am just doing one set of each, except for one. There are a couple that only need to be done once a day.
    Emily, when we went to Spain, the bike I had on the tour had a 25 on the rear. I don't know how I did some of those climbs on that, even in the granny. There were a couple I skipped because of this. I had a 25 for years, and then a couple of years after we moved to this neighborhood (the hill), I got a 27. Last year, it went to a 28. I really didn't need that, but my take on it is that I'd rather use easier gears as I age, as long as it enables me to keep riding!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I'm glad to hear that your getting thins taken care of! That type of azz weakness is an epidemic in our sit-way-too-much society.

Here are some tips for making the exercises fit in your day a little better:
    1) Treat them like a workout. Or even exchange them for a workout (like running).
    2) Ask Walter if you can combine some exercises to cut your total time down. For example, I give an exercise that combines stretching the piriformis and quads at the same time, thereby cutting 2 exercises down to 1. I also have a strengthening exercise that combines hip abduction and exernal rotation.
    3) Ask Walter to prioritze your exercises for you. There are going to be days when it will be impossible for you to get it all in and it's good to know what your 3 "Best bang for the buck" exercises are so that you can focus on getting at least those 3 done.

It's important that you give your PT feedback like, "This routine takes me 45 min to do and I don't really have that much time to do these consistently on a daily basis." Sometimes it's hard for us PTs to see past all the little things that we'd like to give you to do and remember that life still happens and time is not infinite. A good PT will help find the best comprimise between exercises that need to be done and life demands.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Wahine, the sitting thing is indeed a major cause of my issues. In the past 6 years, I've gone from teaching, where I pretty much stood up all day, interspersed with some sitting, to being in school/internship, where it was a little problem, to now where I do therapy all day, drive all over to get to my clients. Then I sit at my computer or desk to do paperwork. This was not caused by any sports at all, but more a combination of things. I'll be cutting down my work hours over the next few weeks, which = less of the driving and sitting. My next job will be close to home and will not involve driving to clients.
    I pretty much have prioritized the exercises from my session/discussion with him last week, but so far, I think it will work, except on Monday and Thursday, and then, I can combine some of them with my stretching after my class at the gym. I will be skipping that class on Thursday and Veteran's Day to give it a rest. Cycling doesn't bother it at all. It's just the next day, when I get up, it's there.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Crankin, it sounds like you are on a good path with your PT. I've noticed my lumbar region starting to ache again, and for me, I know exactly why. I have slacked off my Pilates for months, and it is catching up to me. I knew it would. Pilates works wonders for my back issues and relieves my too-much-sitting work habits.

I always point out to anyone who is considering Pilates that in my opinion it's extremely important to study with someone who is certified and experienced--and I don't mean the weekend certified "instructors" who work at most gyms, as in my experience they can do more harm than good. I do it on my own at home, but I studied at a classical Pilates studio for three years so I'm pretty confident in my abilities to do the movements correctly. Eventually I will want to advance so I'll go back to the studio for that.

If you are sitting a lot, have you ever tried a kneeling chair? Solved all of my lower back issues, although only helped a little for my neck/shoulders problems from sitting at a computer too much. The exercise balls as chairs work for a lot of people, too, and then you have one for workouts if you want it, but I don't like them as much.

I've heard people say this before, Tulip, but Pilates has always hurt my back like crazy. Even with modifications. I tend to use yoga the way you use Pilatess and I have definitely slacked off on that.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura