Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Wink Fun MTB handlebar mod really worked for me!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'd been getting finger numbness and tingling on my wonderful Jamis Dakar since I take a lot of long urban rides on it, plus do unpaved trails. As long as I get off it fairly often, I'm fine, and I know the bike fits me well, but if I ride without stopping for a fair distance I get numbness and tingling fingers so had been looking around for a possible solution. I am already running Ergon grips, which seem to help a lot of folks with this issue -- but not me (and I've tried angling them several different ways just in case).

The bar-ends that came on the bike when I bought it from Catrin just felt like too wide a position for my shoulders, plus I wanted to use a Mirrcycle bar-end mirror since I'm doing a lot of urban rides, and the mirror and bar-ends were not compatible. So, my DH came up with this idea: mount bar ends inbound of the brake/shift levers, kinda like where brake hoods would be on a road bike.

I bought these little bar ends as I have small hands: http://www.treefortbikes.com/#navbar...222354967___83. I had to swap out the left shifter as well, as Catrin had a grip/twist shifter there that wouldn't work with this new setup.

Tested these out on a 34-mile urban ride yesterday (2/3 bike path, 1/3 roads), and they are the BOMB. I now have three hand positions: (1) on the grips when I need access to shifters and full braking (and in any place where maximum control is needed, like near other riders, tight curves, etc), (2) on bars with thumb hooked over bar ends (or "bar middles") for cruising along (I can still brake if needed from this position but have to move a hand to shift), (3) fully on the bar ends for extended cruising where I have a good sight line and don't need to shift or brake super quickly.

In nearly three hours of riding, I didn't have any numbness or tingling for the first time ever on this bike! Happy dance!

Here's what the new setup looks like:

Attachment 16765

Ultimately I may cut the bars down a bit as I know they are a little too wide for me, but in the meantime, I'm a happy rider once again.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

VERY nice Emily! I am glad to read that you've been able to make her even more comfortable for you and you were able to solve your hand numbness so quickly! BTW - I never actually USED those bar-ends, they gave me confidence on the trails as they were between my hands and tree-trunks I like your happy dance

I like those bars. May order some if I don't go back to the "normal" road bike bar handles. I'll check this out this winter while I practice more on the new Kinetec Rock and roll trainer (if it ever can come out our way).

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    VERY nice Emily! I am glad to read that you've been able to make her even more comfortable for you and you were able to solve your hand numbness so quickly! BTW - I never actually USED those bar-ends, they gave me confidence on the trails as they were between my hands and tree-trunks I like your happy dance
    Thanks Catrin! I left the original bar-ends on for awhile, but they were just too wide for me to use comfortably -- and then I got the bar-end mirror, so I had to order new grips (Ergon GP1) to accommodate the mirror. My DH actually took my original bar-ends for his bike, so everyone is happy now.
    Emily

Two things:

One, thank you for posting about your fit issues and how you solved them.

Two, thank you to all the team estrogen ladies for having the independence, intelligence and strength to explore cycling options that might not be traditional but that might help someone else on the forum.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    Two things:

One, thank you for posting about your fit issues and how you solved them.

Two, thank you to all the team estrogen ladies for having the independence, intelligence and strength to explore cycling options that might not be traditional but that might help someone else on the forum.
    This is a great group, isn't it!? I've learned so much and am always happy to share anything I've learned over the cycling years.

Currently working on a fit mod to my road bike as well (for the reach being a bit long) and will post about it when complete as well!
    Emily