Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Out of lurkdom...Running a marathon in cold weather...base layer & glove suggestion

To disable ads, please log-in.

Coming out of lurkdom to say "Yo!" & ask a few cold weather running gear n other stuff q's......

I'm about to embark on running a marathon in Nara, Japan in December & then hope to do some light running in the US whilst we drive from LA-Chicago in mid/late December. Getting the right gear that'll fit into my small luggage is the key..

We don't have real cold in Perth & my only experience running in coolish weather(around 0C) when i was in Geelong (Near melbourne) in June & froze my poor hands n upper body. If i'm moving quickly enough, just shorts are fine in cool weather for me. Top part of the body is the issue...

I've had a peek around the lovely TE shop but am totally lost on what to buy ..I'm concerned a base layer will be too bulky in the end. I'd like a vest or something like it but nothing zip up as every zipper on a zip up vest i've ever bought hits my face and proceeds to annoy me...

I can't try the clothes out on a run here as it's approaching summer . All those wet, chilly & windy long runs have paid off in the events i've done over "winter" so i'm happy.

Any suggestions? I'll do some more forum searches for some answers...

Thanks

Well I'm not a runner, and I see people around here running in shorts when temps are in the 40s (fahrenheit, where freezing=32) which I think is nuts. So I can't give specific recommendations.

But I can say that there is a big difference between winter weather in LA and winter weather in Chicago. Chicago is way colder, and the wind off Lake Michigan can be very strong. So if you were thinking that you need to prepare to dress in layers, you would be right.

For cycling in colder weather, I have a pair of windshell gloves (with no liner material for warmth) and a pair of thin wool glove liners. I find this combination to work well and be nice and versatile. Since neither pair of gloves is bulky, they pack well.

A base layer top would not necessarily be bulky. I have some wool long sleeve base layers that are quite thin, and I recently bought several of these wool tank tops which are also thin.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodIC_100231.html

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Normally, I would recommend layers, with a windbreaking jacket or vest on top. Since you don't like zippers, a wind-blocking base layer might be a wise investment. Gore and Craft make some.

I've been going through my logs.

I have better data for half marathons in those temps than full. All my marathons have been in warmer weather. But I don't think the exertion level is so far different as to make a difference in what I'd wear.

This past weekend it was 4C. I wore a microweight Hincapie long sleeve wool base layer (not sure the weight, but it's lighter than my 150 g/m2 Ibex things) under a long sleeved summer weight technical top; convertible gloves; and my CW-X Stabilyx tights. In bright sunshine I was just slightly over-warm, but at that hour of the day the race was mostly in shade, and overall I was dressed just right for me. I also had a hoodie and knit cap that I discarded within the first mile or two.

Had I not wanted to wear my Boston shirt, I'd probably have worn a midweight (~230 g/m2) wool crew as my only top layer. I've worn one of those for other cold weather races, and it's worked really well - wicks sweat, and I can comfortably push the sleeves up above or below the elbows.

And the caveat with all of this is that I have my legs covered. I need it at that temperature, but even in warmer weather I like full leg compression for distance racing. So I'm not sure how that would affect core temperature, but I expect with less on your legs, you'd need more on top.

I think it depends a lot on your exertion level, i.e. how much heat you're generating. My first half it was about the same temperature but I ran it almost 1 m/m slower, wore a LOT more and was comfortable. I've comfortably worn much less for a 5K in those temperatures. You may have noticed the pros wear singlets at freezing temps, with arm warmers sometimes, and I think that's just an indication of how much more heat they're able to generate at world level pace.

I hate zippers too, but I have to say this is the first year I bought a throwaway sweatshirt from Goodwill (actually, they had a booth at the expo, which was cool) rather than digging one out of my own drawers, and I chose one with a full zip. It was much easier to take it off while running, than the ones I had to take off over my head while hanging onto my visor and my sunglasses and my lucky lei.

I really do not think you want a windblocker if it's above or near freezing, unless you expect super strong wind. Unless it's your throwaway. To me it's more important to let the sweat evaporate, because you will need the cooling. For training runs, you could tie it around your waist.

You mentioned a vest - Ibex just brought back their Woolies women's tank after several years, which I was super happy about because the older one is like my favorite thing I own. Sadly, the fit isn't the same - a little looser through the shoulders, with bigger arm holes - but it's still a really nice versatile piece to have in your wardrobe, and still much closer fitting than my SW and JonesWares tanks.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-25-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated

I had a look at Gore & Craft but wasn't sure about them...

I managed to find a kids sized icebreaker under top at a sale today & may have more options with sizing now! I found the Icebreaker XS base layer way too long. I also picked up some fingerless gloves and a beanie that i can wear when not running & in a cooler climate.

Just at a guess, being a wool weenie's the way to go in this instance? Going to Japan then US warmth to US cold to European winter back to Perth summer..

Oakleaf-have you ever worn ibex or smartwool arm warmers when running? Also, i've not worn tights when running here in the cooler temps but the CW-X ones look inviting. Lots of info & am looking at things you've suggested.

The other thing i just thought of...the marathon starts @9am so it may have warmed up by then. Travelling overseas for an event is making this a bit more of a challenge but more fun!

Thanks again

C

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuckoz View Post
    Oakleaf-have you ever worn ibex or smartwool arm warmers when running?
    I wear arm warmers cycling more often than I do running. That's just kind of my preference. Cycling, I'll want a tighter cuff to keep the wind out, so I usually can't push the sleeves of my long sleeve jerseys up to my elbows when it warms up, so if I expect to want bare arms, I'll start with short sleeves and arm warmers. Running, if I push arm warmers down to my wrists, it creates a lot of bulk when I swing my arms, so I'm more likely to start with long sleeves and push them up. But I do have a pair of Pearl Izumi merino arm warmers that are plenty comfortable and warm. I do love my wool.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuckoz View Post
    The other thing i just thought of...the marathon starts @9am so it may have warmed up by then.
    Possibly ... but more likely to be a lot warmer by the time you finish. That would be something to look at - hourly temperature history for Nara, so you'll know what part of the day is usually warmest - and also, information about the course, whether there's anything particular you can expect about the temperature and/or wind, either particular trouble spots, or how the weather typically changes over the time you'll be running.

What an exciting trip!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oakleaf, you're awesome . I received my TE order today & everything fits beautifully. (I bought gloves, a jacket & some tights) The CW-X tights are super comfy & would love to wear them on a run here but it's a bit too hot now...

Thanks again for all the gear suggestions!