Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dirty Girl Mud Run

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://godirtygirl.com/about is about the Go Dirty Girl Mud Run, a woman's only fundraiser for breast and ovarian cancer research. I've decided to do this next year when it is in Indianapolis. It looks like a lot of fun, and one of my training partners at the gym did it this year. Apparently it really does work for all fitness levels, and it isn't as hard core as the Tough Mudder. I doubt my shoulder is up to a Tough Mudder & it may never be. The Dirty Girl, however, sounds like a lot of fun and it is for a good cause.

I am curious if anyone here has been a Dirty Girl?

Not personally, but a friend of mine in Texas did one with a friend this year. They dressed up in all pink matching fitness outfits and wore their hair in pigtails. They had a blast, though I have a feeling their outfits were a total loss -- they were totally covered in mud at the end! They were both slow runners who didn't do much more than a 5K distance, so it is certainly fine for all fitness levels, I'd think.

I hate mud -- walking in it, hiking in it, or mtbing in it, so I don't think this is something I'd ever do. But they say it's lots of fun if you don't mind getting dirty!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I need a good goal, one that will take me out of my comfort zone, and for a couple of reasons it can't be on a bike. Soooooooo, and it is a good thing to do for my mom I don't think I've been in mud since I was 6 years old so it is going to be different I ALSO have an older pair of glasses I am going to use to keep from destroying my way-too-expensive premium no-line glasses

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I ALSO have an older pair of glasses I am going to use to keep from destroying my way-too-expensive premium no-line glasses
    Good plan! You definitely don't want to wear anything you hope not to ruin. The hardest thing for me would be shoes. I don't have a lot of shoes, particularly of the running variety, and none I'd be willing to get squelchy full of mud and likely ruined!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Good plan! You definitely don't want to wear anything you hope not to ruin. The hardest thing for me would be shoes. I don't have a lot of shoes, particularly of the running variety, and none I'd be willing to get squelchy full of mud and likely ruined!
    hmmmm, good point. I will need to think about this...maybe pick up a less expensive pair and just consider them a single use? I DO have a pair of road running shoes that are about shot - unsure how wise it would be to wear them on a non-paved course though. They hurt my feet on pavement...well, I've time to figure this out. I understand they collect muddy shoes at the event, unsure what they do with them - what CAN be done with them...
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-21-2013 at 02:36 AM.

This sounds like something I would love! I've looked at the Tough Mudder stuff, but I could not climb up a wall, and I'd rather not break my back trying!
    Off to research.
    Edit: There's one in Boston next summer. I am going to think about it.
    Last edited by Crankin; 10-21-2013 at 03:53 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin, I've been told the obstacles are graduated and there is always a way to walk around it if you don't want to do it. Previous participants have told me it really is for ALL fitness levels.

I registered this evening...I KNOW my shoulder won't be ready for a vertical wall climb by May (if ever), but the rest of them sound doable! It is also for a great cause

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I registered this evening...I KNOW my shoulder won't be ready for a vertical wall climb by May (if ever), but the rest of them sound doable! It is also for a great cause
    Good for you, Catrin! Can't wait to hear all about it when the time comes!
    Emily

I have a team-mate now - from my church which was a total surprise

Less than 2 weeks from the Indianapolis Dirty Girl! I doubt I am all that ready for the running but it will be broken up by the obstacles so am not too concerned about that.

This Dirty Girl got DIRTY!

The event was this morning! It was COLD, it was 41 when my wave got started. I was dancing around to keep warm at the start. Here is what we looked like all squeaky clean, except for our feet. The starting announcer told us that he had never seen feet as muddy as they were before the start of the event. I am the one in the yellow jacket - and my bike-thermal clothing selection was spot on! Everything survived outside of my gloves (and I donated the shoes). Clothing all had to be washed twice!

Attachment 17111

Things were different than I expected. I suppose that I expected trails of some kind in the woods where we would run, and then have muddy obstacles. The conditions were far from my uninformed expectations. We had 3 miles of ankle-lower calf deep of almost pure liquid mud to slog through, so there was NO running, by anyone. Mud slogging, mud trodding, but no mud running. I only fell twice but I did get stuck several other times. I noticed that the smaller women like myself were having more problems moving in the mud, where the heavier women appeared to have an easier time of it.

I think the obstacles might have been more challenging if we could have run more between them. There were several tall almost vertical climbs using rope nets, but with my shoulder I didn't do them. There was a 6 foot almost vertical climb that I did do, and pretty much scooted down the other side on my butt - there were wooden ledges I used to help with that. At one point my event partner and I helped dig a woman out of the mud, she was literally knee deep in the stuff! She had slipped while trying to get up a short vertical incline - I actually found a way around it

All in all it was a lot of fun, even if not the kind of challenge I had anticipated. If I do it again it will be to have fun with friends, nothing at all wrong with that!

I didn't get cold nor hot - though at some point my Gore head covering wound up in my zipped back pocket. My cheapo gloves in the first pic were disposed of halfway through the course. I am now, finally, enjoying a beer. They did have free beer there, but I don't drink Bud...

Attachment 17110

Wow. What a challenging fun day it was, but for the cold start.

Woot woot! Way to go! "After" pictures or it didn't happen!!!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Woot woot! Way to go! "After" pictures or it didn't happen!!!
    The second picture is the "after", we only took those two. For some reason she looks muddier than I do, but we were equally dirty - and if you could see the top/back of my head you would see that I am even dirtier! There WILL be "during" pictures when they release the official event photos Wed or Thursday Hopefully they got me! At least I THINK I hope they got me, because I remember where the event photographer was during the course
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-17-2014 at 05:21 PM.