Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Ugh! My SO just got the snowblower out and ready!

Does that mean my riding season is nearly over? I don't ride in the winter. I am too scared of breaking the one rib I haven't broken yet. (Shower stall and biking accidents)
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

We've already had one small snow. Way too early. At least, we were lucky we didn't get 3-5 feet like the Dakotas where they lost a bunch of livestock. Yikes was that weird. In a month where they only get 1-2 inches of snow usually.

Well, it's normal to get it out and serviced in October. You don't want to be doing it in December, when there's 6 inches of fresh snow in your driveway.
    Kajero, have you ever thought of trying snow shoeing? It's a great way to get outside and exercise in the winter, and pretty much as risk free as youwant to make it. You can snow shoe in a local park or run down a mountain.
    The way to enjoy winter is to get outside and play! Try to remember how you felt as a kid. A little merino wool or technical fabric keeps you incredibly warm. You should enjoy your break from riding and you don't have to feel stuck inside.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Be grateful you have one.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131018_080240.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	16751

View from my condo this morning. I had my 1st ski day of the season yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Well, it's normal to get it out and serviced in October. You don't want to be doing it in December, when there's 6 inches of fresh snow in your driveway.
    Kajero, have you ever thought of trying snow shoeing? It's a great way to get outside and exercise in the winter, and pretty much as risk free as youwant to make it. You can snow shoe in a local park or run down a mountain.
    The way to enjoy winter is to get outside and play! Try to remember how you felt as a kid. A little merino wool or technical fabric keeps you incredibly warm. You should enjoy your break from riding and you don't have to feel stuck inside.
    I THOUGHT of snow shoeing many times. My brother had my 84 year old Dad doing it one year. There is a beautiful park near here that rents out snowshoes and has beautiful trails. I may have to get that thought out of the thinking stage. There is a Meetup group that does this so perhaps I would have some encouragement!

I cross country skied about 35 years ago, but quit when I started having problems with pain in my right toe and ball of my foot.

I ice skated when I was in elementary school on the small pond we lived on. I haven't owned a pair of skates since those days.

But for the last 25 years I have disliked winter no matter how I dressed. Maybe I will renew the gym membership after all!

My brother took my Dad dog sledding in Duluth several years ago before my Dad died. Dad and my brother's family loved it. I am thinking of trying that . . . if I can find someone to go with. But that will be a one time treat!
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD

Well, you might find that the state of x country skis and boots have changed A LOT in the past 35 years ago! I started nordic skiing about 21 years ago. I sort of piddled around and never did anything hard and certainly knew nothing about proper technical clothing for winter in 1992. Then, when we met our cycling friends, in 2005 they invited us for a x country weekend in Vermont. I was hooked. I bought new skis and boots and even got DH involved. He didn't like it at first, but about 2 years ago, with new skis, he finally "got it." I like x country skiing better than cycling. Maybe because I am better at it !
    Renew the gym membership, but try something outside. And remember merino wool!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Isn't cross country skiing a lot more work than bicycling?
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD

Quote Originally Posted by kajero View Post
    I THOUGHT of snow shoeing many times. My brother had my 84 year old Dad doing it one year. There is a beautiful park near here that rents out snowshoes and has beautiful trails. I may have to get that thought out of the thinking stage. There is a Meetup group that does this so perhaps I would have some encouragement!

I cross country skied about 35 years ago, but quit when I started having problems with pain in my right toe and ball of my foot.

I ice skated when I was in elementary school on the small pond we lived on. I haven't owned a pair of skates since those days.

But for the last 25 years I have disliked winter no matter how I dressed. Maybe I will renew the gym membership after all!

My brother took my Dad dog sledding in Duluth several years ago before my Dad died. Dad and my brother's family loved it. I am thinking of trying that . . . if I can find someone to go with. But that will be a one time treat!
    I am sitting here 175 miles north of you watching the snow come down. I am not happy. I am bundled up on the couch. It probably would be healthier for me to head south but I made commitments for part of the winter, thinking that I would like the changes of the seasons. I don't. I am stuck here though because of commitments I made. I actually hope for snow so I can pull out my old skis and see if I can propel myself along.

Take care! The snowshoeing idea sounds like fun. REI has a snowshoeing basics class on November 25. It is free, you can sign up now before it fills up.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    This is not just for kajero but for anyone who is interested in snowshoeing in the Canadian Rockies in Alberta at a cost-effective price. Calgary is approx. 120 km. south of Rockies.

University of Calgary offers cost-effective day snowshoeing trips (under $100.00 which includes someone driving car or van per trip). I strongly suggest anyone from outside of Calgary, already have snowshoed and understand their level of fitness. Level 1 is beginner's but you see lovely mountain scenery up in your face.

http://www.calgaryoutdoorcentre.ca/o...p-information/

Pickup of registrants is usually by an LRT station in Calgary. So consider this alternative if you already done even some minor snowshoeing but don't want to pay expensive fees and are staying at a hotel/place in Calgary.

I've been on one of their group trips.

There are other companies based out of Banff/Kanaskaskis/Lake Louise but I don't know what they are. Dearie and I usuallly go on our own.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by kajero View Post
    ...I cross country skied about 35 years ago, but quit when I started having problems with pain in my right toe and ball of my foot...
    Were you on the old 3-pin boots and bindings then? That was a common problem with them for many people. Modern binding systems put the pivot point under the end of your big toe, so you aren't flexing your foot as much. I have New Nordic Norm II, but I'm looking into getting the new Salomon boots and bindings with the second pivot back under the ball of the foot, for added control on downhills. Rent a pair, I think you'd find them much easier to use than the skis you had 35 years ago.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Ugh! My SO just got the snowblower out and ready!

Oh yeah, the ski technology is light years aheads of where it used to be for comfort and ease of use.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I hate all things snow, but pics of snowshoeing make me want to try it. It looks like so much fun.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I splurged yesterday and bought a cycling jersey that is supposed to be for 40 degree weather. Any lower temperature than that I have to think if I really want to go riding.

We gave up motorcycling many years ago. I still have an Under Armour top I wore under a shirt and BMW motorcycle jacket for extra warmth. I also have a pair of Under Armour tights (no feet) I wore under slacks and then under my BMW motorcycle pants for warmth. The Under Armour did what it was supposed to do. I could sit on the back of the motorcycle in 40 degree weather more comfortably with the Under Armour on than without it.

I wore the Under Armour during my last chilly ride. It really, really helped!
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    That's great kajero.

Today I enjoyed myself tooling around city, shopping, coffee, etc. in shorts and jacket on bike. I was out and about for nearly the whole day.
    Supposedly tomorrow we're supposed get up to 5 cm of snow mixed with rain.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.