Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running for well endowed women

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm not planning on competing in marathons any time soon, but my 11 year old has started running for basketball conditioning, and I thought I'd try to go with him. My problem is my chest. Without the proper bra, running is downright painful. I have a good, supportive sports bra, but it's not enough. So my first question is this - how do I keep the girls largely immobile? Does anyone use two for extra support? (Wrap 'em up in Saran Wrap or something? ).

I'd be looking at 5K range at most. He's only running a mile right now. Is this even do-able? Is there anything technique related that might help me (kinda doubting it, as you can't do much about gravity)?

Thanks!
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

What size are you looking at? Enells are great for larger sizes. A lot of women really like Moving Comfort bras, but I've tried at least 4 styles and not found any of them to be as supportive for my 34Ds as a Champion underwire bra I like.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

TE sells Enell bras. You can filter their sports bras for "maximum support," and call them if you have any questions.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Running Times just did their "best of the season" for three cup size ranges too. I could've sworn I bought that issue, but if I did, where it's got to I have no idea. ...

Here it is on their website. http://www.runnersworld.com/running-...runners?page=3
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My running got a lot more comfortable when I started wearing a small enough band and sized up accordingly in the cups. For me, much of my pain and excess motion was simply being in the wrong size bra. Just some food for thought...

My favorite sports bra is the Panache 5021 sports bra. One of a few that comes in my size, and I never feel like I need to double up.

And since you asked about technique ... mine are small but very floppy so I'm not totally ignorant of this stuff ... anything that minimizes impact and whole body vertical displacement will minimize bounce. Chi Running literally changed my life. Before Chi Running, running pounded my *shoulders* so hard I could barely go over three miles on pavement. Shoulder pounding and b00b pounding are not too far different. Lots of free stuff on their website.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-18-2013 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    My running got a lot more comfortable when I started wearing a small enough band and sized up accordingly in the cups. For me, much of my pain and excess motion was simply being in the wrong size bra. Just some food for thought...

My favorite sports bra is the Panache 5021 sports bra. One of a few that comes in my size, and I never feel like I need to double up.
    My thoughts exactly. You shouldn't have bounce with a correctly fitting bra. For information on sports bras, fit, and determining your size check out this link, http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/sports_bras

Not on the list but my favorite is Lynx Sports bras. Band sizes go down to 25-26". No bounce for my 28G's. Many women on the Subreddit "A Bra That Fits" love the Panache Sports bra.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post

I have considered that with my regular bras - even the ones that I get in a specialty shop. My encapsulated sports bra is pretty tight, though. It's great support as long as I'm not doing anything bouncy, and it even worked when I was in karate.

I should also add that my favorite sports bra has minimal movement - probably sufficient for many. My problem is that I had neck surgery a 18 months ago, and while my neck is so much stronger now, it's the gravity effect that has me nervous about any movement whatsoever. So the bounce isn't incredibly bad; it's pretty minimal. I'd just like less.

I did "double bra" on Thursday, and that did work pretty well.
    Last edited by luvmyguys; 10-20-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    And since you asked about technique ... mine are small but very floppy so I'm not totally ignorant of this stuff ... anything that minimizes impact and whole body vertical displacement will minimize bounce. Chi Running literally changed my life. Before Chi Running, running pounded my *shoulders* so hard I could barely go over three miles on pavement. Shoulder pounding and b00b pounding are not too far different. Lots of free stuff on their website.
    Tell me more please?!?

In a few words, the fundamentals are good posture - keeping your whole spine and pelvis in alignment and leveling the pelvis after every step - leaning from the ankles to let gravity help you move forward - landing with your foot slightly behind your center of gravity, never in front, preferably with a midfoot strike - rotating your pelvis to lengthen your stride behind you while keeping your upper body facing forward - and keeping your cadence at least 85 rpm. It's a lot of practice and body awareness, and there are a lot of details.

They want to sell books, DVDs and workshops, naturally, so there's not a single place you can go on chirunning.com to get it all, but you can get the idea by poking around the website. The book has great information (although my personal learning style is that it's really hard for me to learn physical skills from a book, so I've done two workshops, which are terrific if it's in your budget).
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-20-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyguys View Post
    I have considered that with my regular bras - even the ones that I get in a specialty shop. My encapsulated sports bra is pretty tight, though. It's great support as long as I'm not doing anything bouncy, and it even worked when I was in karate.

I should also add that my favorite sports bra has minimal movement - probably sufficient for many. My problem is that I had neck surgery a 18 months ago, and while my neck is so much stronger now, it's the gravity effect that has me nervous about any movement whatsoever. So the bounce isn't incredibly bad; it's pretty minimal. I'd just like less.

I did "double bra" on Thursday, and that did work pretty well.
    To test the fit put you bra on backwards. How does the band fit? If it now feels loose the band is too big. If it's just right but feels tighter when you're wearing the bra it could be your cups are too small. Too small of a cup will make the band feel tight. If the bra fits but doesn't give you the support you want it may be designed for light to moderate activity not activities like running.
    Last edited by Kathi; 10-21-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Running Times just did their "best of the season" for three cup size ranges too. I could've sworn I bought that issue, but if I did, where it's got to I have no idea. ...

Here it is on their website. http://www.runnersworld.com/running-...runners?page=3
    This is off topic but I find it amazing that these bras listed are too big in the band for women who are sub 30 bands. For example, a 32" band is 6" larger than my underbust measurement. Most of these bras will fit my hips, not my chest. American bra manufacturers, and stores, offer limited size ranges. Yet, it's common knowledge that 80% of American women are wearing the wrong size.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    This is off topic but I find it amazing that these bras listed are too big in the band for women who are sub 30 bands. For example, a 32" band is 6" larger than my underbust measurement. Most of these bras will fit my hips, not my chest. American bra manufacturers, and stores, offer limited size ranges. Yet, it's common knowledge that 80% of American women are wearing the wrong size.
    I struggle to find bras small enough when I'm at my ideal weight. At my current weight--15-20#s over ideal--I fit a 34D. If I lose much I will be in a 32D. I could potentially see 30D. That is damned near impossible to find (which is stupid, IMO -- it's no more likely that a woman would be a 38D than it is that she'd be a 28D...it's all proportionate). I love my current bra, but I think 34 is the smallest band size it comes in.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    To test the fit put you bra on backwards. How does the band fit? If it now feels loose the band is too big. If it's just right but feels tighter when you're wearing the bra it could be your cups are too small. Too small of a cup will make the band feel tight. If the bra fits but doesn't give you the support you want it may be designed for light to moderate activity not activities like running.
    It's tight when it's on backwards, and similarly tight when on properly. Not uncomfortably so, but it's bunching skin in the process. The bra is listed as full support and "no bounce" - and it's not bad. Like I said, I'm just a little skittish about causing gravity-induced neck problems. The last time I ran was pre-surgery (and I was still doing all the things that contributed to the neck being all out of whack in the first place).

When I was trying out running shoes, I did a little trial with my non-sports bra, and it didn't hurt. So my one bra may be enough. I honestly haven't tried yet - just too nervous to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I struggle to find bras small enough when I'm at my ideal weight. At my current weight--15-20#s over ideal--I fit a 34D. If I lose much I will be in a 32D. I could potentially see 30D. That is damned near impossible to find (which is stupid, IMO -- it's no more likely that a woman would be a 38D than it is that she'd be a 28D...it's all proportionate). I love my current bra, but I think 34 is the smallest band size it comes in.
    As I'm looking for good every day bras in a smaller band size, I'm finding something similar. My usual size is 34E (or DDD, depending on the convention used), but I can only find one bra that gives me the support I want - most of the others feel like they're falling on me. When I go down to a 32, finding the sister cup size gets really tough.