Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Spook-tacular October Running

To disable ads, please log-in.

Had a great 5 mile run today. Great because I felt good. Great because I actually could make it a progression run and was able to pick up my pace.

I am having more soreness in my quads. Not sure if it is just because I am ramping up my running pretty quickly to make up for a lost week. Or maybe it's the extra weight. Maybe I'm just pounding too hard. Or maybe it's just something I don't remember since I have been so hap hazard in my running over the last year.

K
    katluvr

I am still trying to recover from last w/e's race. I have never been this sore. I am over it at this point.

GLC, I hope your foot is ok.

This morning I found myself sitting on the couch fully dressed to run and just not wanting to. So I didn't. Instead I changed into dog-walking shoes and grabbed a jacket and gave the dog an extra-long extra-early walk. Figure my body was trying to tell me something, even though I feel fine.

Well THAT was the hardest training run I've done in a very long time.

2 x 3 miles at/near target HM pace, with 5 minutes rest between. Good news is that both intervals were within 4 sec/mile of my target pace (8:25), bad news is that the second one was slower (8:29 vs 8:22 for the first one). But I think the back side of the one hill is steeper and longer than the outbound side.

I just ate an entire can of tuna fish and I think I'm going to need more protein before the night is over.

PR at Columbus may be possible. Maybe.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Today was the first day that I felt safe running on my poor foot. So I did.

I went out at lunch and I had no garmin, no phone and only my work watch which bounced on my wrist when I ran so I had to hold it in my hand the whole time. I guessed on my route (trying to remember from 2 years ago when I used to run these roads!) hoping I'd get 4 miles out of it. I was also worried that I wouldn't have time to eat because of a pending meeting, so I hoofed it.

I did 4.27 miles in 45 minutes. I know that's slow for most of you, but this is HUGE for me. That is my pre-injury run pace! I CAN run like I used to...I just need the motivation to do so! (It helped that it was only 60F out, too). I'll be real curious to see if my foot feels OK come tomorrow morning.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Yay GLC! Hope your foot is even better in the morning.

I'm just the right amount of sore from yesterday, which makes me super happy. Went for a short easy ride with a couple of friends this morning to spin my legs out. Yay.

Glad you guys are having a good week. I was finally able to walk down the stairs today with a death grip hold on the rail, AND able to sit on the toilet without wincing in pain. TMI? Nah....we are runners.

Still sore to touch but so much improved. Group mt bike ride Sat, so I am reallyhoping I am feeling good.

My big news of the day was that one of my students brough her pet hedgehog to school. Very cute wee beastie.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    OMG! I love hedgehogs!!!! <3

RnR, ah, yes, the sitting-on-the-toilet problem. Happens to me at least once a year

GLC, I hope your foot is OK tomorrow. I am so glad you are doing so well!

I am officially "not running". For a while, anyway. Just walking. Long story that is years in the making and too long to roll out here, but I have a long list of issues and after discussion with my doc (a triathlete, so she gets it) & PT (also an athlete), the consensus was to roller ski or walk. Since I don't have roller skis (and I have a hubby on furlough and thus am not spending money for nonessentials), walking it is. Good grief, it takes FOREVER to walk 4 miles, even at a pretty quick pace. It's only been a week, but I already really miss running

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Today was the first day that I felt safe running on my poor foot. So I did.

I went out at lunch and I had no garmin, no phone and only my work watch which bounced on my wrist when I ran so I had to hold it in my hand the whole time. I guessed on my route (trying to remember from 2 years ago when I used to run these roads!) hoping I'd get 4 miles out of it. I was also worried that I wouldn't have time to eat because of a pending meeting, so I hoofed it.

I did 4.27 miles in 45 minutes. I know that's slow for most of you, but this is HUGE for me. That is my pre-injury run pace! I CAN run like I used to...I just need the motivation to do so! (It helped that it was only 60F out, too). I'll be real curious to see if my foot feels OK come tomorrow morning.
    Awesome. (And you run faster than I do, injury or no!)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

GLC, that's great! And isn't it kinda liberating to run without the gadgetry once in a while?

I'm starting to transition in to more conventional shoes than my beloved VFFs for winter. The VFFs are just not warm enough to wear outside in freezing temps, at least for me. So I got a pair of Altra Intuition on Monday, and have run in them twice. They're OK, but a lot heavier than I'm used to. They're definitely warmer! which isn't so good now, as it's been unusually warm this week.

Planning on running our fire department's 4.03 mile race Sunday afternoon-- the distance is in honor of the 403 firefighters and cops who were killed in NY on 9/11. But there's a good chance of thunderstorms then, so who knows. Fingers crossed.

Aw, (((((yellow))))). Hoping it does turn out to be just for a while. And that the "while" is short. Will you be able to xc ski when there's snow on the trails?

skhill, maybe you could run in Lems ... no more insulation than VFFs have, but you could get them big enough to wear heavier socks?

RnR, yeppers. Feel better soon.

Still trying to decide how far to run today. I'd like to get a 14-miler in today or tomorrow, but I don't know if I'm quite up to it today, and if I do it tomorrow it means skipping the club ride. I kinda need the company right now, maybe more than I need the run.

ETA - Ten was all I had in me today. I woke up this morning feeling like yesterday's turd in tomorrow's outhouse and didn't feel much better as the day went on. The route I chose, I had to make a decision just four miles out, but I'm glad I decided to keep it short, because I was pretty much flagging on the hills by halfway. It still gives me 35 for the week, a lot of it pretty hard, so it's all good.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-04-2013 at 02:33 PM.

RnR - here's hoping that you are recovered soon. I know that toilet issue very well!

Yellow - so sorry to hear about the walking! I know how much that sucks. I walked a 1/2 marathon last Dec because I wasn't cleared to run in time to train for it and OMG...that was torture. I had two wonderful friends who agreed to walk it with me but even with company, it was dreadful. I'll NEVER do that again! If I can't run, I'll switch to swimming or something else. Just walking was not my cup of tea.

skhill - I have the Altra intuitions but I don't like them for running. They just don't fit my foot right so they cause toe issues. I run in the NB Minimus and if you get them big enough, a pair of wool socks would likely keep you toasty in winter. I do want to try the Lems that Oak suggested though. I think they'd work well for me too.

My foot is a little sore today, but not even enough to necessitate limping...so I'm pleased. I'll be doing a quick 3 miler this evening, biking tomorrow and then Sunday will be my last long run (only 8 miles) before the 1/2 next weekend. The 10 day forecast (which is almost never right around here) is predicting 58F and rain on my race day. Ick. At least now I know how to dress for that weather! ;-)
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I managed to get out and do my scheduled 8 miler this AM. First mile my legs were really heavy but I was able to pick up my pace a bit. Overall my pace is still really slow but I do have some quicker moments every now and then. My quads are really taking a beating. I think for my next long one I''ll put on my compression sleeves (isn't that what the footless ones are called?) to see if that helps.

K
    katluvr

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Aww, thanks, all. But, you know, I'm pretty much OK with taking a little break. I have been running significant miles for the last 3 years, with a pretty substantial injury in there, and I just need a break. I think that substantial injury (last July, the hamstring tear) was the beginning of the saga that has put me where I am right now. I will get through it and be fine. I am doing as much yoga (or, as I call it yogi, as in Yogi Bear) as I can, but with my recent shoulder separation, I can't do too much without the shoulder giving me fits. So...I will continue to walk, and do my PT. At least it's a nice time of the year to be walking/hiking around! I actually got mopey-furlough hubby to walk with me this evening. I hope this furlough thing is over with sooner rather than later so I can have my happy hubby back.

Kat, I will often sleep in my compression tights if my legs are feeling beat. Might be psychosomatic, but I swear they feel better then next day when I do that.

Yellow that is funny, we call yoga "yogurt" in our house. Silly. Do you have hot yoga by you? It is fantastic for getting things loose.

Well, one week post race. I am finally feeling better. A few sore spots and my one ankle is stiff. Other than that, better. I do not feel like running yet, so we are doing our first mt bike of the fall season today with some of hubby's Merry Men. They kick my butt on the road all summer, but I have more mt bike experience, so my redemption is at hand!! I just hope my legs do not tell me where to go as soon as I start to pedal. I have this sinking suspicion that as soon as we get near the trail my whole body is just going to scream...Noooooooooooo! and refuse to get out of the car!

I will report back. Enjoy your running today everyone. Yellow, have a lovely hike. I look forward to everyone's update later.