Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Oreos are as addictive as cocaine, morphine

To disable ads, please log-in.

Science proves what we already know...

http://www.conncoll.edu/news/news-ar...m#.Ul4BsFMTFAf

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

All this has served to do is remind me that I have cookies-and-cream ice cream in my freezer.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

What this tells me is that Oreos taste better than rice cakes. I already knew that

I'm not seeing the parallel to the drugs, however... Science is drawing some very sketchy conclusions here, IMO.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    What this tells me is that Oreos taste better than rice cakes. I already knew that

I'm not seeing the parallel to the drugs, however... Science is drawing some very sketchy conclusions here, IMO.

SheFly
    Well, on the behavioral end, sure, but the fMRI data did directly compare the cookies and the drugs.

What gets me is they act like Nabisco didn't do this research decades ago (though without the neuroimaging). Junk food is quite literally designed to be addictive.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm just glad they have these handy single serving packages....

snap "oreo-hoor" dragen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oreos.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	16748

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post

SheFly
    Agree. Bedroom activity activates pleasure centers in the brain too. For good reason.

Here's a counterpoint.

I'm not saying that Oreos are the way to good health, but I can buy a package without developing a chemical dependency.
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

However, junk food could be an addiction. I know people addicted to food. I've never met anyone that interested in Oreos though. As a side note, there are sex addicts as well. I said all that to say I do see the parallel. Some drugs are psychologically addicting and some are physically addicting.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyguys View Post
    Agree. Bedroom activity activates pleasure centers in the brain too. For good reason.

Here's a counterpoint.

I'm not saying that Oreos are the way to good health, but I can buy a package without developing a chemical dependency.
    Perhaps true for you, but not everyone is capable of avoiding that dependency. Plenty of people are addicted to 'food like substances' ...just like there are people addicted to sex. I don't think there is anything particularly special about an Oreo, but as Oak mentioned, junk food, by it's very nature, is designed to create 'users' as opposed to consumers.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

And the counterpoint (well made, I think):

No, Oreos aren't as addictive as Cocaine
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I see what that author is trying to say in the counterpoint post, but he/she is kind of missing the point.

OK, you don't form an addiction to food-like substances by the textbook definition. You can develop a chemical dependency on it. This " You can stop eating Oreos with no physical symptoms. " is just wrong. Sure, if you just eat one Oreo in conjunction with a healthy meal, maybe. If you live on predominantly junk food and you stop eating it for 24 hours there will be physical symptoms - even if you substitute in an unlimited amount of healthy food.

For example, anyone can go over to the Whole 9 forum and do a search on the 'withdrawal' symptoms everyone goes through for a few days just for cutting out all processed foods, grains, dairy and sugar. EVERYONE experiences it. Everyone. How is that 'no physical symptoms'?

Of course the media is responsible for over-hyping just about everything. And maybe Oreos are not AS addictive as cocaine (oddly enough, at the end of that article, they make the point that nicotine is more addictive than cocaine by the numbers), but to say that you cannot form a chemical dependency on junk food is just ignoring the obvious in my opinion.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom