Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Obesity and sleep

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is interesting.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...risk.html#more

Of course for many people, getting more sleep is easier said than done. But it can make an important different for weight control.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Interesting link. Thanks for sharing.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

That was fascinating. I forget the term, but I've been reading more and more lately about studies on how various environmental factors activate or de-activate genes.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Epigenetics!

Now I need a nap. Zzz...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Thank you! I was going to say eugenics, but luckily I googled it first.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I've been looking into this for a while, my doc and I are having a hard time figuring out how I can weigh what I weigh with the diet I observe. She thinks an adult lifetime of poor sleep is playing into it.

I've been reading things like this too. I believe it. My mother seems to be on calorie restrictive diets all the time, yet cannot lose weight. She has terrible sleep habits. She goes up to her bedroom early, but has the TV on (with lights off) until she falls asleep and after. She'll wake up at 1-2 am or so and turn off the tube, but then she wakes up really early and can't get back to sleep. So she probably ends up getting 5-6 hours of sleep most nights, not really enough. I am sure the sleep she does get is not great quality because of the noise and the light of the TV. But she won't change her habits and thinks she can't get to sleep without the TV. Urrrrghhhhhhh!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

One of the best things I've ever found to help me sleep was earplugs. I can put them in and settle in to seriously deep sleep, no distractions, no waking up to a noise and being unable to go back to sleep. They are wonderful!

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Interesting. I do think a lot of the correlation probably has to do with lack of sleep making people want to eat worse food and not feel like exercising as much...I know when I have a rough night on call I often have to force myself to work out and if there is crappy food around I am more likely to eat it. As for the earplugs, Pax, doesn't it make you nervous that you won't be able to hear something if you need to (like a fire alarm etc.)? I have never liked earplugs for that reason, although have resorted to wearing them in a few situations.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Not nervous at all, although I hear that frequently from others. After not sleeping well for decades I'll risk about anything to get a decent nights sleep.

I believe it.

I know that for me, when I'm tired, I'm constantly fighting an internal battle to 'wake myself up' or 'make myself feel better' or 'get a little more energy' from food. And it's always high carb/high sugar items that come to mind. If I wasn't watching my intake so closely, that would easily translate into a lot more calories consumed without even thinking about it. And I'm not even *that* sleep deprived as a general rule!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I've never had trouble hearing anything important through earplugs, and my phone alarm is not very loud. I sleep in earplugs whenever I travel, and also on nights when DH is snoring or thrashing. The main issue I have is increasing sensitivity of my ear canals. I can barely wear the Hearos Ultimate Softness any more. I got a pair of custom earplugs made, which are good as long as I sleep on my back (which I do most of the time anyway).

I wonder whether they'll find that it's the same genetic pathways that are switched by any disruption of the circadian rhythm - since I've also read that lack of natural light contributes to obesity. One of the things that's most frustrating to me is learning how important natural light is (both by reading and by personal experience), and yet knowing that for most people in the developed world, being able to sleep in the dark and wake to the light, never mind getting sunlight during the day, are unattainable luxuries.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I need ear plugs and a white noise machine to sleep with the noise my neighbors make. I had to buy a louder alarm clock because I was not hearing my old one, though I could hear it fine with just the white noise. I think I would probably hear the smoke detector in my condo, but I won't hear the one out in the main hallway. Though I don't think I would hear that anyway, because it's pretty far from my bedroom.

Emily, I agree your mother probably does not have the best environment for sound sleeping, but part of her problem might just be due to getting older, since people tend to sleep for shorter periods as they age.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I use ear plugs frequently as well. Always when traveling as unexpected noises (like hall doors slamming in hotels when people get in late/leave early) can occur at any time. Even at home, sometimes my DH snores or there are sirens or thunder. I don't like using them as I also find my ear canals sensitive to them, but at times they are a godsend.

I don't worry too much about not being able to hear important sounds as they are not THAT soundproof, and often I only put in one since I spend most of my time on my right side so don't put one in that ear. They do help quite a bit with getting extra sleep I know I need.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Thank you! I was going to say eugenics, but luckily I googled it first.

*snort*!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike