Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yeah, I have a freaky high tolerance for pain, too, so the narcotics are likely overkill. I think after tonight I will get some extended release acetominophen and be done with the narcotic yuck.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Yeah, I have a freaky high tolerance for pain, too, so the narcotics are likely overkill. I think after tonight I will get some extended release acetominophen and be done with the narcotic yuck.
    I would try it and see, you can always take a half dose if you need it. Check with your doctor first, of course, by mine told me that I could if I needed it. I never filled the prescription though. I figured if I needed it, I could send someone to do it.

I'm glad you are feeling good. Just don't jump on the bike yet.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

When I had my wisdom teeth out (different thing all together, I realize!), I took one dose of the generic Vicodin they gave me and just took acetaminophen for the next three days. Just be careful with that. You can always take a smaller dose or less often.

I'm glad you're feeling good, but remember to take it easy!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

After my faceplant, I actually got much more pain relief from Naproxen than I did from the Hydrocodone, though it was probably the combination that helped the most. But I would ask your doc before taking any NSAIDS after surgery. Acetaminophen does nothing for me for any kind of pain except headaches.

I can't take any stimulant laxatives at all (senna, etc) - they make me just unbelievably sick, worse than the constipation. I've done fine with MoM when I need it. And stay hydrated. For me, it's really hard to drink enough water when I'm inactive, and that really contributes to constipation.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have a pretty high pain threshold too, and the pain drugs made me dizzy and nauseous, so I didn't take them after the first day. I had a nice big incision too!

Walking is your friend. (The pain drugs made me too dizzy to walk, so that was another good thing about not using them.) The only thing to watch for is that you don't get yourself out too far and then over-do it trying to get back. In the house it's usually all right because there's always somewhere to sit down for a few minutes.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    After my faceplant, I actually got much more pain relief from Naproxen than I did from the Hydrocodone, though it was probably the combination that helped the most. But I would ask your doc before taking any NSAIDS after surgery. Acetaminophen does nothing for me for any kind of pain except headaches.

I can't take any stimulant laxatives at all (senna, etc) - they make me just unbelievably sick, worse than the constipation. I've done fine with MoM when I need it. And stay hydrated. For me, it's really hard to drink enough water when I'm inactive, and that really contributes to constipation.
    The Norco I was prescribed also contains acetominophen (plus hydrocodone), so there shouldn't be an issue switching to strictly OTC Tylenol. I was also prescribed 600mg ibuprofen, but that's also just a 4 hour formula. Getting up 2x/night is stupid! I'm not having any significant pain, which is nice. I've had a bit of menstrual crampy feeling, but nothing even severe on the scale of what I've had there over the years.

MOM was the only thing I was cleared to take for constipation. It finally did the trick within the past 12 hours and I feel like a new woman! I was literally full of sh!t!

I'm still several pounds heavier than when I weighed the AM of surgery and have been peeing a lot. It's amazing the way I bloat when I've had any sort of surgical procedure. Plus AF/TOM will be starting any day now, so that's likely a contributing factor.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

If you stick to Tylenol, I think you should be ok. The rest of them inhibit blood clotting, hence the caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    If you stick to Tylenol, I think you should be ok. The rest of them inhibit blood clotting, hence the caution.
    Yeah, I'm not sure why the script for 600mg Ibuprofen…especially since I tend to bleed like a stuck pig.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

For many people (me included), ibuprofen or naproxen tend to provide better pain relief. It also isn't as likely to cause liver problems at high doses, though it's not easy on your kidneys.

(Tylenol does nothing for me.)

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    For many people (me included), ibuprofen or naproxen tend to provide better pain relief. It also isn't as likely to cause liver problems at high doses, though it's not easy on your kidneys.

(Tylenol does nothing for me.)
    Hmmm…it does seem like when I was younger and had REALLY bad endometriosis cramping that I reached for Advil, first. Naproxen is the thing that does nothing for me…and then I'm stuck and can't take anything for hours!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Yeah, I'm not sure why the script for 600mg Ibuprofen…especially since I tend to bleed like a stuck pig.
    I was given 800mg Motrin - anti-inflammatory. Sometimes it's the swelling that contributes to pain - lessen the swelling, lessen the pain.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    I was given 800mg Motrin - anti-inflammatory. Sometimes it's the swelling that contributes to pain - lessen the swelling, lessen the pain.
    That's kind of what I was guessing. Seems like every time I've had surgery I've been given some sort of acetominophen + narcotic and ibuprofen. Same with my broken wrist.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3