Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

lol... I'm a weirdo caucasian I guess. I really like natto - I've even fermented it myself (it's quite easy really - just need soybeans, a warm dark place and natto starter). At the sushi bar I frequent one of the three owners (all Issei) won't even touch it, much less eat it - fortunately for me Yoshi loves it and loves that I love it .
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

My mother forbade me from using public water fountains. But then, she was a microbiology major and also forbade me from going outside barefoot. And yes, in school I saw some kids put their mouths on the fixture. EEW. If need be, I'll use them, but I'll run the water for a couple seconds. I mainly use outdoor ones for refilling water bottles. Indoor ones...if the water's cold and doesn't taste nasty, sure. I don't have that kind of luck, at least in the last few buildings I've worked in.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Heh. I love Chinese fermented tofu, but I've never been able to bring myself to try natto. It's the texture that puts me off, I like the flavor of all kinds of stinky fermented stuff. DH won't even let me bring kimchi into the house.

Funny though, now I think about it, I do kind of have an aversion to filling my water bottle from a bathroom sink ... even though that's usually the only public water supply in most places. It's not a strong enough aversion that I won't do it, but if there's a drinking fountain I much prefer that psychologically.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-05-2013 at 02:35 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

There aren't too many public fountains around here; the one I use is on the town green in Harvard center. It's used by millions of cyclists to re-fill bottles and I never think about it. I also routinely fill bottles in bathroom sinks.
    Of course my shocking lack of worry about germs amazes some of my friends. I am basically a clean person who doesn't really think or worrry about germs.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

As long as your mouth isn't actually touching the metal part of the fountain, I don't see a problem. The water pressure is going to force any bacteria that was in the pipe out within a few seconds. If a person is really worried about it, they could just bring an extra bottle from home, let the fountain run a while, then partially fill the bottle and drink from it.
    Being in a small enclosed space with coughing people in the winter is probably far riskier than drinking from a public fountain. But then, my immune system works a little too well, so perhaps I'm not the best example of a typical response.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I have never been too worried about using public drinking fountains...there are germs everywhere and that's why we have an immune system. As stated above, there are plenty of other public scenarios that are probably a lot germier and we don't even think twice about them.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I guess I'm in the middle about using outdoor public drinking fountains. But will use them if I have no choice.

I just hate it when I see people spit into the drinking fountain!
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

You know, this thread was definitely on my mind this morning when it rained on our club ride.

I DO know someone who got very sick from drinking water from a frame-mounted water bottle. You do know that if you ride through water, whatever's in that water is now on the valve of your water bottle ... reclaimed water in the suburbs, dogsh*t and automotive chemicals in the city, cow and pig manure and ag chemicals in the country. But I still drink from my water bottle, and so does everyone else I know.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I drink from public drinking fountains just about daily, but I do usually let them run a bit first. And I've been pestering our parks department weekly to fix the fountain by our only public running track-- it keeps getting vandalized. Argggghhh.... It also gets to me that the doggie drinking fountains at the dog parks are left on year-round, but the ones for humans will be turned off for the winter soon.

I'm planning on starting this fall's first batch of sauerkraut this afternoon, hooray! There's usually something fermenting in my kitchen; I'm awed at the power of microorganisms to do wonderful things to food.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    You know, this thread was definitely on my mind this morning when it rained on our club ride.

I DO know someone who got very sick from drinking water from a frame-mounted water bottle.
    oh yeah.... we had a rainy day race on roads near where a farmer had recently manured his farms..... more than one person got sick after that day.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post

I DO know someone who got very sick from drinking water from a frame-mounted water bottle. You do know that if you ride through water, whatever's in that water is now on the valve of your water bottle ... reclaimed water in the suburbs, dogsh*t and automotive chemicals in the city, cow and pig manure and ag chemicals in the country. But I still drink from my water bottle, and so does everyone else I know.
    Absolutely. I got just about as sick as I've ever been in my adult life during Bike Virginia in 2003 from just this. We were riding through a rural area with chicken farms, and it had rained recently, so apparently there was chicken poop in the rain run-off on the road. Or at least that's what the CDC came up with when over 100 of us contracted Camplyobacter during or after the event. Oh, I was so sick!

But I do drink out of public water fountains without a thought. I too have a bit of a psychological aversion to drinking water out of glasses or bottles filled from a bathroom sink, though I'll do it.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post

Water out of the fountain in Central Park NY, I always put my hand over the fixture and washed off the fixture with water turned on, waited two seconds or so before drinking from it. Even then I'm bit weary. I've seen too many dogs licking the fountain fixture... yewww!!! I only drink from it in dire need...
    Wouldn't you end up with the cooties on your hand then?
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Absolutely. I got just about as sick as I've ever been in my adult life during Bike Virginia in 2003 from just this. We were riding through a rural area with chicken farms, and it had rained recently, so apparently there was chicken poop in the rain run-off on the road. Or at least that's what the CDC came up with when over 100 of us contracted Camplyobacter during or after the event. Oh, I was so sick!

But I do drink out of public water fountains without a thought. I too have a bit of a psychological aversion to drinking water out of glasses or bottles filled from a bathroom sink, though I'll do it.
    [strongly considers switching to the Camelbak...]
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    That is indeed one of the advantages! I still use mine, though I have to be far more careful how full it is than before my neck injury. I DID figure out how to continue using it, for now at least. Discussing a different approach with my fitter. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    One reason I use a Camelback while mountain biking is that it's cleaner than drinking out of bottles from bottle cages. And I'm somewhat germophobic -- I do things like press elevator buttons with my elbow instead of using my hands (a habit I developed a few years back when there was a shortage of flu shots and many coughing people in the building where I worked). But I don't think twice about drinking from water fountains or filling my water bottle at them, and I never think about about germs on the bottle when riding through water.

Some friends did a big metric century ride recently in Amish country in Pennsylvania. It rained that day, and I've heard that they encountered mushy cow pies on the road. I was planning to do that ride next year -- maybe I'll bring my Camelback if there's rain the forecast...

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles