Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Telescoping seat posts

To disable ads, please log-in.

I rode with some bikers today that were using the telescoping seat posts.

How many of you use it and think that it is a great benefit?

Can you use a saddle bag with the telescoping seat posts?
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

I can raise and lower saddle with a lever on my handlebar. I really love it. The guides on our Crested Butte trip had me lowering and raising my saddle for every major up or down and I decided it made me ride better. So it got included on the new bike. I don't have a seat bag though.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

"Gravity dropper" is the most common term. I also think that's one of the brands out there but people use the name like "Kleenex".
    I love mine. You'd have to rip it out of my cold,dead hands. They aren't cheap though, if you put them on aftermarket. Figure $300 with install. You cannot use a seat bag with them.
    I've always been a believer in "saddle down" for descending even in XC riding. I wore out two quick releases. And this is soooo much easier. :-) I think it will make you a better rider. Saddle down forces you to use your body correctly as the saddle isn't in the way.
    Last edited by Irulan; 10-02-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

A dropper post is on my most wanted list even though where I ride it's not really a necessity.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Telescoping seat posts

You know you want it. :-)
    DH and I did his-n-hers for Xmas.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

very nice information and appreciate you for the help I'll post pics when I get the materials together.

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    A dropper post is on my most wanted list even though where I ride it's not really a necessity.
    Hmmm... I think I can make the argument that it is a necessity It really makes riding downhill much much safer!! Your center of gravity is lower, you can center your weight over your pedals, you can use your legs and arms for shock absorption, there's no seat in the way for you to hit... I could go on... it's a necessity

Re: Telescoping seat posts

Quote Originally Posted by SAMbike View Post
    Hmmm... I think I can make the argument that it is a necessity It really makes riding downhill much much safer!! Your center of gravity is lower, you can center your weight over your pedals, you can use your legs and arms for shock absorption, there's no seat in the way for you to hit... I could go on... it's a necessity
    I like the way you think! :-)
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Someone has to do it, so I will.

It is definitely conventional wisdom to use a telescoping seat post for mtn biking. But here are the cons, and to me the cons out weigh the pros.

They are heavier.

The bushings wear out and the telescoping system doesn't work smoothly anymore. This can happen in one season of use. When it happens the saddle will not return to the full "up" position when climbing putting more stress on your knees an low back. IMHO, that's a huge minis since most of my cross country riding time is spent climbing, not descending.

They are freaking expensive for something that could easily not work the way it was intended after one season of use.

Keep in mind that I am not the typical rider and my opinions are certainly not mainstream. But I have ridden a soft-tail Moots over all kinds of terraine and not bothered to move the saddle a millimeter. In fact, I have out ridden Euro Pros on Roman cobble descents. You can ride well on technical terraine without a gravity dropper seat post.

Just being the devil's advocate.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS