Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

To disable ads, please log-in.

I wake up by running!

Dreadful weather today, but the time when I usually run was rain-free, if very windy. So I didn't have any distance or pace in mind, just focused on keeping good form. It was actually kinda exhilarating running through the wind gusts. I ended up going about 5.5 miles.

By the time I'd hopped on the bike for the commute this morning, the weather was a lot worse, with drizzle and dropping temps to go along with the wind. Heading home it'll likely be 10 F colder than when I ran this morning, with a 20mph headwind. At least the rain is supposed to stop by then... Riding through the wind is a lot less fun than running in it.

Veronica,
    I work a variable schedule and this was was my day off--therefore only time to do a long run (out of town this weekend). I have a terrible time getting up early enough to run before work and way too tired after work to run. Which is why some weeks a run more and others barely run (due to work schedule).

K
    katluvr

That makes sense.

I wish I wasn't so tired after work. I'm with my class only 6.5 hours. I SHOULD have tons of time, but afternoons I'm wiped out. I know this wasn't always the case. In 2006 and 2007 I logged oodles of after work miles. I'm not sure what has changed, but I don't like it.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Veronica,
    I'm struggling greatly with lack of energy an absolutely NONE afterwork! I am on my feet/legs most of my 9 - 10 hour day so I guess that could explain it. Or it could be my age!
    K
    katluvr

Did my "speed work" run last night. 2 x 1600 in 9:50 with 800 jog in the middle. 4 miles total including warm up and cool down. It wasn't that hard. Of course, after I was done, I realized that I was following the wrong training plan! I just checked my updated one and I should have targeted 9:29. Oops.

Today is just an easy run and I'll be doing it at lunch.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Thanks all. Truthfully anything below 1:50 wasn't in my wildest dreams. I had 1:51 in my head ... a nice round number would've been nice for a target, but I really didn't believe it was possible. But that was kind of the point of the exercise.

I got out today for a little bit of a jog in 39 and bleary skies, but at least it hadn't started snowing yet. My legs are still a little bit sore, but it was good to get out.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Brrrrrrr It was 30F when I ran this morning. I was delayed about 15 minutes looking for the baselayer I had in mind. Found it, then found after a couple miles that it was really warmer than I needed. Only went about 4.5 miles, but it brought the year's logged total to 1000 miles. I've been a bit of a lazy sloth, should have reached the milestone about a month ago! (actually, there were a couple minor nagging injuries that led to reduced mileage.)

We did have some snow flakes flying last night, but it was beautifully clear by morning. And tomorrow is supposed to be even colder!

First run in tights and gloves!!! Yippee!!! 33 when we went into the woods this morning. We just ran for an hour, I am saving some umph for tomorrow's ride.

Did 8 miles yesterday with my husband. It was nice! Lovely weather (the morning rain gave way to sun and light wind that made for perfect running weather). Oddly enough, my foot was a tad sore last night but feels great today. I'm even less 'creaky' than usual after a long run. I think perhaps I've turned another running corner (or reached some invisible milestone?). Yay!

Yayy for you GLC!

I had two runs this weekend up in CT while on a quick weekend get-a-way. 4 miler and 3 miler. The cold autumn air was an assault to my airways and the hills an assault to my lungs and legs, but overall it was great!

Just noted a few of you had 30-40 degree runs...so I guess I did pretty good for a southern gal running in those same conditions!

K
    katluvr

My last run in October: 5 warm, flat miles. I'll be starting off November with a long run.

K
    katluvr

Did 4.5 miles last night on the treadmill. Oddly enough, it was cold enough outside that I ran the whole thing without needing to turn on the fan and I was running pretty hard! (our treadmill is in our unheated garage).

It was my 'speed workout'. 2X1600 at 9:28 with 800 in the middle at an easy jog (did that at 11:20). Warm-up and cool-down made up the rest of the 4.5 miles. Holding 9:28 for a mile was pretty tough but I managed. Hard to imagine that's 'slow' for many!!

I've been fighting a case of the blahs, but I got out for a nice eight today. It was about 60 but cloudy and damp, and it started raining toward the end of my loop. I saw a propane truck stuck in the mud. Reminded me of when the propane truck tried to back down our lane (bad idea) and wound up in the ditch.

My neighbor passed me about half a mile from home and offered me a ride. Like I wasn't out there on purpose.

Today it was about 48, cloudy and windy, and it's probably the coldest I've ever run in shorts. Just experimenting to see how I'd do. I wore a single layer on top, my warmest tech jersey, tucked my fingers into the sleeve pockets and I was fine. My thighs and azz sure were cold when I got home, but it really didn't affect me except when I had to stop for traffic. My hands were actually the coldest part of me, even though I never uncovered them. Couldn't get my act together to get out in time to be back before the noon kickoff, but considering the final score was 56-0, I didn't miss much.

ETA: I shouldn't say the coldest I've "ever" run in shorts. Back when I was in college, and just a jogger, and "warm clothes" consisted of cotton sweats, my rule was "long sleeves below freezing, long pants below 0F." But that was a very, very long time ago...
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 11-02-2013 at 04:06 PM.