Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chasing Leaves

Chasing Leaves

To disable ads, please log-in.

I LOVE riding in the fall, there is something about being able to chase crunchy leaves on the bike that just brings out the kid in me. The park where I rode today had NO traffic, so I did just that. I did wait a couple of hours after my group training session this morning. It was also cool and quite humid, after almost 6 miles I was still a bit cold and my shoulder was complaining so I called it to an end. It is always dicey to mix riding and group training on the same day but I am glad I did! My first bike ride since I went to Tennessee for the first time a couple of weeks back.

Attachment 16729

Look what I found - the mystical "Gunnar Bush" that was obviously in full bloom! I just happened to be passing by and even had bike clothing on. Sweet

Fall is my absolute favorite season.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I love fall, too. The only problem is that winter arrives so quickly after.
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

I don't mind winter. In New England (at least where I live), it's different every year.
    One of the things that helped me love winter is to be outside in it. While I did some mild x country skiing for a few years when i first moved back here, it was nothing that adventurous and I certainly knew nothing about wicking clothes or merino wool. Cycling brought me to endurance activities in the winter.
    In fact, I had my first x country ski "thought" a couple of days ago. The season here is very short, and we usually have to travel a bit for great conditions.
    But, don't rush the fall away (tomorrow is going to be 80-85 degrees. Not fall-like at all).
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Jealous. I get cyclocross race or just plain old ride photos from old work friends back in Ohio and it make me sad. (Today's high: 91F.). I know I'll be talking out of the other side of my face in winter, but I want crunchy leaves!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

It was SUPPOSED to reach 80 here today, which is why I didn't know how to dress for my ride today and wound up under-dressed. The sun was supposed to come out this afternoon and warm up quickly - it never really did. Now I won't have a chance to ride until the weekend, and it is supposed to rain but we will see.

It was probably best I kept the ride to 30 minutes anyway, given how my legs feel after all of my recent moving efforts and this morning's workout

I've started to think about this winter, and it will be interesting to see how long I can sustain my feeble attempts at trail running. I DO have my Sugoui Mid Zero tights, though am unsure about footwear. Given my asthma I probably can't run outside in very cold temps so hopefully my existing trail shoes will be fine with the right socks. I do want to try this out!

+1 Fall is my favorite season as well YIPEE!

Oddly enough, taking my bike down the stairs and actually having to drive it somewhere was fun! For the last 3 years I've felt guilty every time I've driven my bike anywhere for road riding, which meant that I very rarely ever rode anywhere that I couldn't get to from my front door. Granted, with my current limitations I am still pretty much limited to riding in that park - but this still opens other possibilities! Now that I MUST drive my bike somewhere it does open things back up again. Now I just have to reach the point where I don't feel like I am being targeted by every driver out there - but first I need to recover enough so I am not so limited to the amount of time my neck/shoulder can tolerate on the bike.

That bike isn't heavy, but it was awkward negotiating the stairs - but I am figuring out the best way to carry it. I was thinking of those who must do that same thing with much heavier bikes
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-02-2013 at 04:57 PM.

It was 80 here today. I went on a 30 mile ride in sleeveless. Plenty of leaves flying around, as it was kind of breezy. It seems like there's a lot more color in the trees than normal for this early. Peak foliage season isn't until around the 15th-20th here.
    I'll be riding Friday, Saturday, and Sunday; nothing long, though, except maybe Friday. It's going to be warm and humid. Yuck.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    It was 80 here today. I went on a 30 mile ride in sleeveless. Plenty of leaves flying around, as it was kind of breezy. It seems like there's a lot more color in the trees than normal for this early. Peak foliage season isn't until around the 15th-20th here.
    I'll be riding Friday, Saturday, and Sunday; nothing long, though, except maybe Friday. It's going to be warm and humid. Yuck.
    Humidity/warmth doesn't seem to go well with fall colors... though that is better than rain. I don't get home from work until 6ish so my riding time is now limited to the weekends as it is almost dark at 7:30 now. THIS is the disadvantage of no longer being able to ride out of my front door but that was the choice I had to make. Well, there really wasn't a choice when they wanted to increase my rent 30%!

They are calling for rain this weekend, crossing my fingers I will be able to do some riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Oddly enough, taking my bike down the stairs and actually having to drive it somewhere was fun! For the last 3 years I've felt guilty every time I've driven my bike anywhere for road riding, which meant that I very rarely ever rode anywhere that I couldn't get to from my front door. Granted, with my current limitations I am still pretty much limited to riding in that park - but this still opens other possibilities! Now that I MUST drive my bike somewhere it does open things back up again. Now I just have to reach the point where I don't feel like I am being targeted by every driver out there - but first I need to recover enough so I am not so limited to the amount of time my neck/shoulder can tolerate on the bike.

That bike isn't heavy, but it was awkward negotiating the stairs - but I am figuring out the best way to carry it. I was thinking of those who must do that same thing with much heavier bikes
    I know you've got shoulder stuff going on and a fairly small frame, but what I used to do was pick it up and carry it cyclocross style. It's still a little awkward, especially if your stairwell is narrow. (But I hate doing this with my cross bike. It's fairly heavy and the tubing is rounded rather than flattened at the bottom, so it's a little hard on the wrist and shoulder...)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I love fall and fall leaves! It's still green here in KC and has been quite warm and humid this week, but there is quite a bit of breeze, and leaves are starting to swirl around. The angle of the sun, too, lets us know autumn is here.

Yesterday we did a 30-miler, 10 on road and 20 on the paved trail. Today was a 12-mile errand ride to the library and Natural Grocer. It's supposed to get much cooler this weekend, so we are enjoying this last bit of summer (temps in the 70s-80s) while it lasts. We won't be able to get away with shorts and short-sleeves for too much longer!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I know you've got shoulder stuff going on and a fairly small frame, but what I used to do was pick it up and carry it cyclocross style. It's still a little awkward, especially if your stairwell is narrow. (But I hate doing this with my cross bike. It's fairly heavy and the tubing is rounded rather than flattened at the bottom, so it's a little hard on the wrist and shoulder...)
    Between my shoulder and the frame size this isn't possible. If I removed my water cages it might work - but I am not going to do that. They may not see traditional use but they do get used. The stairwell isn't too narrow, and I do remove my trunk bag to go up/down the stairs. The rack does change the weight distribution a bit but I need to keep that installed. Good idea though, and thanks for the suggestion! If I get the angle right there isn't a problem getting it upstairs. It only weighs 24-25 pounds with rack so the weight isn't the issue - it is the size. Practice makes perfect

Sounds like fun Emily! Speaking of bike clothes, I suspect my bibs and short sleeves Tuesday was likely the last time for the season, but I hope not!

You ought to be able to wheel it up and down stairs on the rear wheel just as you would take it through a narrow hall. It will bounce a little going down is all. Definitely easier on the shoulders.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Re: Chasing Leaves

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    You ought to be able to wheel it up and down stairs on the rear wheel just as you would take it through a narrow hall. It will bounce a little going down is all. Definitely easier on the shoulders.
    Getting it downstairs was certainly easy, I think I was trying to carry more of it upstairs than I really needed to. Hopefully there will be a chance for more practice this weekend!