Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to the forum, 60 years young and upping the pace! LOL

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello all,

I thought I should introduce myself, having just joined the forum so here goes:

I've been commute cycling across town most of my life and these past two years since we moved to Cornwall (which is rural and very 'up and down!'). I've been cycling once a week or so to a very physical job and the cycle ride includes 31/2 miles each way of stiff hills and long inclines. The first week I thought I was going to die LOL and was unspeakably shattered after the ride plus a full days slog. It took a while but by the end of summer I was doing much better and even cycling faster! And as a bonus, I had lost weight and felt much healthier. This was all on a rather 'sit up and beg' Raleigh with iffy gears. With hubby's encouragement I tried a ride on his Trek and found it sooooo much easier so I'm now awaiting the LBS's call to say my new 2014 Trek 7.2 FX WSD is ready to collect!

I can't wait! I've never had any proper cycling clothing and have ordered a few bits also. I want to go out cycling my own longer circuits (the job will end soon so that's another incentive to keep cycling.)

I was reading on another thread about other peoples' perceptions of what 'I should be doing at my age' and that applies to me too. I fully expect all my acquaintances to start eyeing straitjackets when I tell them I'm leaving the job (so collective sighs of relief) but I'm upping the cycling! (Looks of pure horror) But I only have to see how hard they find it just to walk up the easy hill where our village is and I know I'm doing the right thing.

And... I'm so glad to have found this forum! So how do you do? Lovely to meet you! :-)

Welcome! We are glad you found us too! We are all ages here and know that no one is ever too old to cycle. You will LOVE your new Trek, and we love pictures, so post some if you can when you get it. It will make a huge difference in your riding, and some proper cycling clothes will help you be more comfortable. Look forward to hearing more about your new bike and cycling adventures!

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Welcome to TE!! Great group of women here. And second the "you will love that new Trek"!!

Welcome to the forum. This group is great for encouragement and advice. Interesting to read about your commuting experiences -- and I hope you enjoy your new bike.

Welcome! Hope your new bike arrives soon!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Welcome and have fun with the new bike!

Welcome!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Welcome to another UK member!!
    Rebecca

Riley - custom 2014 Enigma Etape
    Bridget - 2010 Surly Cross Check
    Lorelei - 1979 Puch Princess mixte
    Astrid - 2014 Viking Bromley singlespeed mixte
    Lucy - bespoke 2012 Brompton S1L

Visit my blog: velovoice.blogspot.co.uk

Welcome! And you will be inspiration for the younger crowd. Thumbs up to you!

I drive a 7.2FX WSD too.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Many thanks for the welcomes, all! I'm counting down the days to the LBS trip. I'll have to go by train (it's in a nearby town) then hubby is going to meet me (having cycled there) and cycle with me along the backroad route. He's told me there's a long stiff climb that will tax me. LOL... I'm not too proud to get off and walk but I'll give it my best. The distance is only about 6 1/2 miles total so not bad.

I'm sure to have stacks of questions to ask you more knowledgable riders, so I hope you don't mind.

Thanks again.

Thanks again. :-)

New to the forum, 60 years young and upping the pace! LOL

Welcome kernowcyclist! Let us know how you get along on your new steed. Lovely to meet you too!
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

I picked up my new bike today! Unfortunately the cycle clothing I ordered hadn't arrived so I had to cycle home in jeans and an assortment of civvie layers. The jeans rode up into places no jean should go but I can live with it until the proper stuff comes.

The bike itself (Trek 7.2 FX WSD) is a dream to ride. I'd ridden hubby's Trek and wanted the same ride and this is spot-on. I have bar grips on the handlebars to help rest my weedy wrists and help with the uphill stretches (lots of them round here!). Hubby rode home alongside me, it's only about 7 miles but he suggested we go home via a little ex-mining village called Brea and that's nestled in a sweet little cleft with a narrow, twisty, steep hill in and out! I felt for certain I was going to be getting off and walking at the worst bits... but guess what? On this bike I didnt! Wow, I'm so stoked! I'm not saying it was easy, I was puffing and blowing and pulling some gargoyle faces to amuse the other road users LOL, but I finally pulled up to my DH who was grinning like a lunatic and so glad I'd managed it. I'll post a pic of me and my steed soon.

Now I need to concentrate on getting some saddle time in and building my fitness so that I can keep up with him a bit easier. He's about to get into training for a charity cycle ride in aid of a charity that funds womens' cancers research. A few of our friends/relatives (and me) have had 'near misses' and that's what he chose. He'll be cycling 310 miles in 24 hours (Eeeek!) London to Lands' End in the far South West of Britain (near where we live!). It's in June. I'm so proud of him. :-)

What a wonderful first ride!

Belated welcome! I'm 59 and have been cycling awhile. It's the best exercise AND therapy I can think of. I have two Treks and love them.

Don't be shy about posting questions. We've heard them all (LOL) and the ladies are super nice and helpful.

Have fun on that new bike!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid