Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Eye make up and cycling

To disable ads, please log-in.

Do you wear mascara, eye liner, eye shadow, etc., during a bike ride>

I sweat so much that I am sure it would probably run into my eyes and irritate them. I also tend to wipe my forehead including my eyes when the sweat seems to drop in my eyes. I use a sweatband, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

I see some bicycle riders eye makeup look amazingly fresh after their rides.
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

I was born with the features I was supposed to have and I’m fine with that…..besides that I don’t want the extra weight on my climbs
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    I was born with the features I was supposed to have and I’m fine with that…..besides that I don’t want the extra weight on my climbs
    I love this reply. I think I shall use it always. I rarely wear makeup anyway. Now I have something to say!

Did you hear about the rider who uses carbonated water on the rides. It weighs less. LOL
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD

If it's a long ride for recreation, I wouldn't wear eye makeup. If it's a transportation ride, and therefore probably a shorter distance, I'd wear whatever makeup was appropriate for the destination.

Since I live in NYC and my transportation alternative is the subway, which can be very hot in summer, I'm used to dealing with sweat and makeup. Cycle or Xootr (my likelier choice) are probably less sweat-inducing than a long wait in a steamy subway station.

I wear eye make up for work every day, and generally on the weekends, unless I am getting up and riding, or doing some other sport first. If I ride after work, etc. I ride with the eye makeup on. In other words, if I have it on already, it's there when I ride, but if I get up and go, then I just wear lip gloss. I never wear eyeliner, though, just shadow and mascara. I don't have a problem with it irritating me or running... the mascara is waterproof. I wear contacts, so goopy eye makeup is not for me.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I never wear any make-up for any reason to start with.
    RebeccaC, I love your comment. I'm going to have to remember that.

I'm also a no make up ever person. My partner wears it, but not when biking.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I wear eye make up for work every day, and generally on the weekends, unless I am getting up and riding, or doing some other sport first. If I ride after work, etc. I ride with the eye makeup on. In other words, if I have it on already, it's there when I ride, but if I get up and go, then I just wear lip gloss. I never wear eyeliner, though, just shadow and mascara. I don't have a problem with it irritating me or running... the mascara is waterproof. I wear contacts, so goopy eye makeup is not for me.
    This comes close to my answer, too. But I don't wear waterproof mascara. Occasionally my eyes will water enough during a post-work ride that I will look a bit raccoonish by the time I finish, but by then it's dark out and I'm going straight home so I don't worry about it.

(Also I've never found a lip gloss I like. I'm a lip balm person. I especially like the stuff that LL Bean sells in their retail store. I think it's made with olive oil, and it comes in scents like orange or cranberry.)

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I don't own any make-up.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I like RebeccaC's comment too...the only time I wear any is for formal occasions where it would really look out of place if I didn't. Otherwise, it's just not my cup of tea.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I LOVE all these replies!!! I don't wear make except for a special occasion and now I don't feel so much different than some of the people I like to hang out with . . . bicycle riders.

Edit: I would rather spend the $$$ I don't spend on make up on bicycle accessories.
    Last edited by kajero; 09-23-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD

I wear makeup....but not on weekends for riding/training or on vacation (unless I feel like it or on an outing that is not sport related). But never out without my lipstick. I even wear nail polish that matches my bike. I do have a Lululemon headband that I wear under my helmet so it picks up the sweat beads. My eyes don't really "sweat" so mascara does not leak if I happen to wear some. But I do like to have my skin breath when exercising.

But when I'm on treadmill or doing my gym in basement, I don't mind the makeup. Not going to remove it before training after work. Nah.

Love Rebecca's reply ++1 for HER!!

Me I'm terrible at painting no makeup not even for work, besides when I was working, I needed respect of my engineers and not look like some bimbette worried more about her looks than work.

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    Me I'm terrible at painting no makeup not even for work, besides when I was working, I needed respect of my engineers and not look like some bimbette worried more about her looks than work.
    I work with plenty of engineers, scientists, and contractors. I've never been disrespected or accused of being a bimbo because I've worn a modest amount of make-up to a meeting, lab, or work site. The fact that I look 10 years younger than I am has been the bigger problem. If anything, cosmetics make me look more professional, not less.

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    when I was working, I needed respect of my engineers and not look like some bimbette worried more about her looks than work.
    Yeah, makeup was one of the many personal grooming/hygiene skills I wasn't taught as a kid, and remains one of the few that I didn't find important enough to teach myself as an adult. I've tried a few times on special occasions, with mixed results. I used to tell myself that it was for feminist and nonconformist reasons that I don't wear makeup, but the honest truth is that I just don't know how.

But, I used to look down my nose at women who took time with their appearance for what I considered "inappropriate" occasions (like, the ones who'd be putting on makeup and styling their hair in the gym bathroom the morning of the second day of TOSRV). But, then came Florence Griffiths Joyner's Olympic appearance. No one could say she wasn't a "real" athlete or that she thought she was worried "more about her looks than about her" training or performance.

To each her own. The ones who want to look nice *and* ride bikes *and* be engineers, hooray for them.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler