Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yes.
    pedal pusher

Honestly, I hate the way threads about makeup, clothing, shoes, hair color, etc. often seem to get unnecessarily judgmental. I think it's awesome that there are women who don't wear makeup, but could we tone down the insinuation that those that do have somehow bought into something perverse or that makes us look look cheap. I am an educated, liberal women with a professional job. I run, hike, bike, and kayak. I lift weights and jump around for fun. I get sweaty and dirty and sore. I also wear skirts, heels, and a modest amount of makeup and perfume. I color my hair. And I don't feel like I should have to apologize about any of it, and yet I can think of a number of threads over the years where I've been made to feel like I should. I think that's unfortunate.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I wear makeup to work, but not while exercising. In fact, I usually wash it off prior to working out so that it doesn't smear on a towel or something.

I think Indysteel is right.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Honestly, I hate the way threads about makeup, clothing, shoes, hair color, etc. often seem to get unnecessarily judgmental. I think it's awesome that there are women who don't wear makeup, but could we tone down the insinuation that those that do have somehow bought into something perverse or that makes us look look cheap. I am an educated, liberal women with a professional job. I run, hike, bike, and kayak. I lift weights and jump around for fun. I get sweaty and dirty and sore. I also wear skirts, heels, and a modest amount of makeup and perfume. I color my hair. And I don't feel like I should have to apologize about any of it, and yet I can think of a number of threads over the years where I've been made to feel like I should. I think that's unfortunate.
    Here here. I do not wear make up while exercising, but do during other times.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Hear, hear.

plus, it helps cover the black eyes ... <g,d&r>
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

The only reason I was curious is one of my friends said I should wear eye make up because it made me look better during/after a ride. I wondered if there was something wrong with me

I didn't mean the thread to become judgmental. I only wanted to know if other cyclists wore eye make up and how they kept it from hurting their eyes.

I apologize if I offended anyone.
    Last edited by kajero; 09-23-2013 at 02:35 PM.
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

Quote Originally Posted by kajero View Post
    I can't see where anything you've written needs an apology. I think you got a good cross section of women writing about their makeup habits. One questionable post, out of 21, that could seem to be judgmental doesn't bother me a bit. I also think Becky and especially Oakleaf made excellent and reasoned posts in regards to it without needing to get into the politics of it.

I'm confident enough not to worry about what others think or say about my makeup or lack thereof habits. I would hope other women who don't or do wear makeup (especially during exercise as this thread is about) would feel just as confident in their decision as the other.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 09-23-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Beyond the most obvious post, I think there is a current running through this thread, as it has in others and whether intentional or not, that there is something implicitly superior in not using makeup (or wearing heels, dressing up or coloring one's hair, to name a few other topics). It's not enough to simply say "I don't wear makeup." We end up getting into the politics of wearing makeup and what it apparently says about us if we do or don't. I've read enough of these threads over the years to know how they typically devolve. If I'm overreacting to this one, then I apologize, but it and others like it have really rubbed me the wrong way. I think as a group, we could stand to be more mindful of how we express the choices we make for ourselves so that they don't end up sounding judgmental of the choices others make.

That is all. I'm on vacation and am now checking out. For the record, I went hiking today sans makeup, but I wore some to dinner last night, along with a skirt and Keen sandals.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Indy, you echo my thoughts exactly. I wear make up (though not on purpose for exercising), color my hair, dress up, have manicured nails, and I love fashion. Yet, I have no problem sweating, getting dirty, and "suffering." Most people think I am tough. At this point in my life, if people think I'm vain, I don't care. I have noticed the same current running through threads on these topics, too. I don't care if others don't wear make up, but really, I think it all comes down to how you were brought up and the personal choices you make. My mom and both of my grandmothers were gorgeous, classic beauties. I am fine with a little make up, but I look like hell when I wake up, without a little work. I"ve never been able to roll out of bed and look great, even at age 20.
    There's a certain breed of woman in my town who suscribe to the no make-up, all natural way of living. They are as snobby about their point of view/lifestyle, as the the spoiled rich girls I grew up with in Newton.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by kajero View Post
    The only reason I was curious is one of my friends said I should wear eye make up because it made me look better during/after a ride. I wondered if there was something wrong with me

I didn't mean the thread to become judgmental. I only wanted to know if other cyclists wore eye make up and how they kept it from hurting their eyes.

Nothing you need to apologize for. You asked a perfectly reasonable question.

So. Now that we are all friends again...

As I said above, I don't wear makeup to exercise, but if I were going to, I would wear the same stuff I wear to work...Lancome Definicil mascara, waterproof version. It gives a bit of color, but it's not really making my eyelashes look really bold. When I swim at noon, it stays on fairly well in both the pool and the post swim shower. By about 4 pm there is a small amount of flaking. I would skip eyeshadow. It makes my eyes itchy (feel free to recommend a non itchy brand).

I hardly ever wear makeup besides lipgloss now that I'm retired (usually only for a special dinner out or party), but when I was working and I worked out at lunchtime or after work, I did work out or ride in makeup, and it was never a problem. If I was going out for a morning ride on the weekends, though, I would not apply any makeup, just sunscreen and lip balm.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by roo4 View Post

As I said above, I don't wear makeup to exercise, but if I were going to, I would wear the same stuff I wear to work...Lancome Definicil mascara, waterproof version. It gives a bit of color, but it's not really making my eyelashes look really bold. When I swim at noon, it stays on fairly well in both the pool and the post swim shower. By about 4 pm there is a small amount of flaking. I would skip eyeshadow. It makes my eyes itchy (feel free to recommend a non itchy brand).
    I think I shall ask my friend to buy me some Lancôme Definicil mascara seeing as she was the one who inspired this thread. Of course, then I suspect she would expect me to wear it.
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I'm concerned about....getting enough sleep.

No mascara nor makeup will help me. These last few years have been tougher for me personally. I used to wear foundation occasionally but now find, it accentuates my fine line wrinkles and tiredness. If I wore makeup, it was lip gloss occasionally. A convenient thing when it's very cold outside.

So cycling genuinely is a form of spa exercise for me to lift my whole face. That's why cycling needs to be at my pace, not racing or keeping up with others. A total mindless destressor for me.

As for anything cosmetic, I enjoy getting a great haircut, etc. It does wonders for me --visually and psychologically.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by roo4 View Post

In my experience, the color of the eyeshadow is more important than the brand when it comes to allergies. I'm allergic to reds and purples. I'm generally okay with browns.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles