Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cucumber ideas

Cucumber ideas

To disable ads, please log-in.

Looking for ideas besides "don't plant so many next year."

I've done gazpacho, sweet and sour salad, chilled cooked cucumber soup, my third batch of lacto fermented pickles is going. Giving them away to friends, neighbors, the allergist's office, the food pantry, and every time I go out to the garden there are more that need picked.

What's your favorite cucumber recipe?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I don't how to make them myself, but a Thai friend makes the most awesome "beef salad" snacks from cucumbers stuffed with thin slices of marinated beef and probably some other stuff, then sliced into slices about an inch thick.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Re: Cucumber ideas

Ignore, I'm clueless :-)
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Tzatziki?
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I made 7 pints of bread and butter pickles the other day but maybe you don't have pickling cucumbers?
    Cucumber dill sauce and put it on salmon?
    Cucumber tea sandwiches - cuke, dill, s&p, cream cheese and/or sweet butter on thin bread
    chilled cucumber soup
    Martha
    Work hard, be nice.
    Read a book.

One of my favorite drinks in summer is cucumber water. Peel and slice a cucumber and add them to a pitcher of water. Refrigerate for a few hours and enjoy. (I do the same with lemon slices, and I also chill herb teas, so that I have a rotation of flavors throughout the summer.)

How about juicing them.

I ran across this watermelon, cucumber and lime recipe that sounds yummy. I've juiced watermelon and lime and it was great. I'm sure adding cucumber to the mix would work well too.
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

We are calling 2013 the year of the cucumber! I have a tiny community garden plot that is producing nothing much besides cucumbers. Plus we are getting upwards of 10 cukes in every week in our CSA pick-up and co-workers are constantly trying to pawn off their home-grown cukes!

I haven't tried it yet, but I got this recipe from my CSA and it sounds yummy:

Peach and Cucumber Salsa

2 cups diced peeled pitted peaches (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    1 cup diced unpeeled English hothouse cucumber
    3/4 cup diced red bell pepper
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons apricot preserves
    1 teaspoon chopped canned chipotle chiles*

Mix all ingredients in medium bowl. Season salsa to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Stir to blend before serving.) *Chipotle chiles canned in a spicy tomato sauce, sometimes called adobo, are available at Latin American markets, specialty foods stores, and some supermarkets.

Makes about 3 cups.
    Bon Appetit July 2003

I've also been making this cucumber salad in large quantities:

Creamy Cucumber Salad

2 medium cucmbers - sliced thin
    1/5 purple onion - sliced thin
    1/4 c mayo
    1 larger clove or 1 tsp minced garlic
    1/2 cup parsley - finely chopped
    1 tsp apple cider vinegar
    salt and pepper

Slice cukes and onions very thin (I used a mandoline slicer). Mix in a large bowl with the parsley. Whisk mayo, vinegar, garlic together and then mix in with veggies. Salt and pepper to taste and EAT!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Mmmmm, that salsa looks good. But, another recipe that calls for more of something else, than cucumbers.

I'm going to call it the year of the Cucumis. I don't want to count my melons before they're ripe, but I'm closer to a successful melon crop this year than I've *ever* been in the past. Got five or six Charentais melons looking luscious, more small ones coming up. The vines are looking beautiful and healthy. Last year, cucumber beetles infected and killed all my melon vines before they even flowered.

I don't have a juicer at the moment, but I should make more vegetable smoothies - with their water content cukes would be a great base. DH doesn't eat pickles at all, so I'm just doing my lacto fermentation in quart jars, one batch at a time (and pickling eggs in the brine after I finish a jar of pickles, yum!).

Really bright side about making all these pickles - I have trouble getting enough salt from food and wind up either drinking lots of factory-made electrolyte beverages, craving pizza and chips, or both. (I know I could mix my own electrolyte mix, but it always tastes funky to me.) Pickles are plenty palatable to me AND plenty salty! Yay.

Come to think of it, maybe it should just be the year of the cucurbitaceae. This is the first year I covered my plants until they flowered - hopefully to repel vine borers - and, touch wood, I've had one borer hole (addressed, and the young plant survived), and seen only a handful of squash bugs. Those two pests between them typically devastate my Cucurbitae. Now granted the winter squash are far from mature, but I've got the biggest Blue Ballet (miniature hubbard) squash I've ever grown - the plants rarely survive long enough to even produce, usually I plant them just to draw pests from the butternuts - the butternut squashes are freakin' ENORMOUS - and the zucchini are doing what zucchini do best, going from pencil to ball bat in ten minutes flat ... Must've been something about the winter or spring weather that's kept the pests down so well, because my garden hygiene is, shall we say lackadaisical, and while I did do some things differently in hopes of keeping the pests down, it can't possibly account for the drop from awful infestation last year, to just a few individuals this year ...
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 08-10-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Ok, this sounds probably typical of me.....but I promise they are 2 entirely different tasting dishes :

I slice my cucumbers in thickish slices (and peeled) and stir fry with onions and slices of beef with abit of soy sauce or hoisin. Of course meat can be omitted and mushrooms added instead.

I also stir friy butternut squash and it's delicious. See here. Very easy if you cube in 1-2 inch rough shapes... Most people can't believe this how squash can taste and no sweetener added at all.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Okay, how about THIS.

One, 100 g cucumber, stem and blossom ends sliced off, chunked
    Juice of one lime
    Two teaspoons bar sugar, or one tablespoon simple syrup
    Eight spearmint leaves
    Three ice cubes
    One oz vodka

Blend. Strain if you must. Drink. Yum.

You could leave out the vodka and it would be a plenty refreshing drink for anyone, any time.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 08-10-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Three ideas:

Indian style spicy cucumber wedges (a Madhur Jaffrey recipe)
    1 cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and into wedges 3-inches long and 1/2 an inch wide
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    pinch cayenne pepper
    freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp ground, roasted cumin seeds
    juice of 3/4 lemon

Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive mixing bowl. Toss to combine. (or sometimes I just sprinkle cuke wedges with spices/lemon)

Japanese style cuke salad-- toss cukes with sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, soy to taste (I add scallions if I have them, and sometimes either bonito flakes or crab meat if I'm feeling fancy and want to make it more than a side). Sesame seeds are a good addition too.

Smoothies-- one of my all time favorites is basically honeydew melon and cuke, tons of water, refreshing and not too sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by carlotta View Post
    Three ideas:

Smoothies-- one of my all time favorites is basically honeydew melon and cuke, tons of water, refreshing and not too sweet.
    This sounds great - what proportion of melon to cucumber, and how much water do you add?
    Martha
    Work hard, be nice.
    Read a book.

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    This sounds great - what proportion of melon to cucumber, and how much water do you add?
    Oops, kind of mis-worded there. I don't add water beyond the water content of the cuke/melon-

Basic recipe is ~2 parts melon (I like honeydew, but I think most any type would be good), ~1 part cuke. Blend.

Additions: mint, lime juice (I sometimes add a little honey if I add lime), yogurt. I've never tried it, but I think it would also be really good with more savory herbs (thyme/basil/cilantro).

I don't have a hefty enough blender to make good smoothies with ice cubes, but I could see adding them if your blender pulverizes them well. I usually just freeze the melon and/or the cuke so my smoothie is cold

My kind of gal....

Another thing to do is make some simple syrup, water and sugar 1:1. Bring to a boil, remove from heat. Add a sliced cucumber and let steep for about 30 minutes. Strain and refrigerate. I'll put about a tablespoon of this in a glass full of ice, then add club soda. Vodka would be a good addition for a cocktail.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Okay, how about THIS.

One, 100 g cucumber, stem and blossom ends sliced off, chunked
    Juice of one lime
    Two teaspoons bar sugar, or one tablespoon simple syrup
    Eight spearmint leaves
    Three ice cubes
    One oz vodka

Blend. Strain if you must. Drink. Yum.

You could leave out the vodka and it would be a plenty refreshing drink for anyone, any time.