Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I commented earlier about my Natchez Trace trip five years ago with WomanTours. I happily paid the single supplement in order to have a room to myself. I was the only one in the group to do so. It was worth it (to me). As much as I enjoyed the women during the rides and at meals, I was so wiped out at day's end that I really needed to be alone to recuperate. And I definitely can't sleep well with a stranger nearby. I suppose I'm what you might call a friendly introvert---happy to meet new people and interact for a while, but then I absolutely need downtime to rest and get my energy back or I can't function........I don't recall a "mommy camp" atmosphere on my trip---but then, at age 50, I was the second youngest in the group! (The oldest was 80.) I probably heard more talk about grandchildren than children, LOL! Maybe I lucked into a lively group because I seem to remember a lot of chat about travel, food, books and, of course, cycling. For what it's worth, I'm never-married, no human children, just two beloved furballs. :-)
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." (Will Rogers)

I am glad I stumbled into this thread. I signed up for a tour with WomanTours because I want to try bicycle touring, and I have absolutely zero camping experience, and am still a fairly new biker. I paid for the single upgrade and being a "friendly introvert" as someone else put it I would rather have my own room. Three of my cousins (all girls in their late 20s and early 30s like me) did the GAP trail this year and camped out. They want to do the full GAP and C&O trial, followed by an amtrak trip back to Pitt where one of the girls lives, and I hear this year's trip is going to be in Michigan possibly the UP. I would like to do at least one of the cousin's rides with the girls but I feel like a guided tour would be a better introduction for me. I am fluid enough to get along with any sort of group unless it is wall to wall kid talk (I am a child free, single, dog mom). Personally my biggest concern with a group tour is not being out with "professional riders" who's vacation will be ruined by waiting for me the newbie to catch up.

I have traveled the most with Backroads and Cycle America and definitely recommend both companies!

My friend Arlene and her husband celebrated a big anniversary by taking a REI cycling tour in Italy. Their tour was run by a company called CicloPosse: http://www.cicloposse.com/

They had the most amazing time, and when they got back, they raved about the trip--the high-end bikes they used making climbing easier, accommodations, food, etc. Whenever I see her, she always talks about wanting to go back to Europe to take another tour with CicloPosse.