Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Am I crazy to want another bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am craving a hard-tail mountain bike.
    I started with a low end mountain bike first (2000 Univega Alpina 600) and rode this for nearly 10 years. I didn't really mountain bike with it (Except for one long day in Winter Park, when my dear brother-in-law pointed me down the black diamond trail. Had a great time, but crashed and broke 3 ribs).
    My friends are road cyclists, and finally traded my Univega in for a 1998 Fuji Finest 1.0. I like it, but not the same way I loved my old Univega. (I regret trading it in).
    Now, I ride 25 to 35 miles at a time, usually over a hilly route (at least it's hilly for West Texas). My cycling friends love the road; they are working towards riding in centuries and average 16-17 miles per hour. I don't like riding by the highways and we don't ride together much anymore.
    I don't like riding my Fuji casually around the neighborhood; it's my long distance bike. I've really missed evening rides (5 to 10 miles, depending on the night). Putting on my "kit" and clipping in and out at stop signs is no fun. Besides, the local streets are rough and I'm sick of flat tires.
    A few weeks ago, I bought a used Cannondale Quick CX and I love it. It's a hybrid not a mountain bike. I love the way it feels and hugs the road. I love that I am able to ride on dirt/gravel roads/trails again without being afraid of tearing up the bike. I hope to do some "rails to trails" rides sooner or later, but until then, it's mostly around the neighborhood and out to the local parks.
    My Fuji is sitting in my laundry room and I am riding my used Cannondale all the time. I can't make myself WANT to ride the Fuji again.
    The problem? The Quick is rough. I'm 54 and a cancer survivor (14 years!) and my hands and elbows are not what they once were. I replaced the grips--that helped some, but I long for a front suspension fork. I know it'll make the bike heavier and slower, and I don't really plan to do any technical stuff with it. I want to ride some medium distances and not shake my hands to death. I could kick myself for not getting a hardtail to begin with, but I was trying to economize by buying the best used bike I could find in my price range (The Quick sold for $800 new; I got it for $350. It's got some wear, but is well taken care of).
    Am I crazy to want a new bike? Do I just have "bike fever" to want a bike I'll never use to it's full potential?
    Or, can you never have enough bikes?

Re: Am I crazy to want another bike?

If you want another bike regardless of the reason you should get it assuming you can afford it.

I have 3 bikes, cruiser, road and mtb. Do I "need" them, no, but I wanted them and use them. That's good enough for me.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

N +1 is the correct number of bikes.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I personally do not feel that N+1 is the necessarily correct number of bikes. But then I have limited storage space in my small home, and I don't see the point of having a bike gathering dust because you never ride it.

You could make changes to the Fuji bike. You could put on puncture-resistant tires and regular pedals. You can change it to make it more enjoyable for you to ride.

I could also see the argument for getting a hardtail that is less painful and more comfortable for you to ride. You could put less knobby tires on it to make it more suitable to paved/untechnical dirt riding.

When I was growing up, my father taught us to really think about big purchases before spending the money, to make sure the money is well-spent. If you're not happy with what you have, I think it makes sense to spend money either to change what you have or get something that works better for you, especially for an activity that contributes to good physical and mental health. This is why I bought a new road bike a few years ago. But then I donated the old one to a non-profit bike shop, so that someone else could enjoy the old one instead of having it take up space and gather dust.

Anyway that's my $.02.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

[deleting duplicate post - what just happened??]

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Have you tried bikes with the suspension fork to make sure that it helps you in the way you hope?
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

It looks like the front suspension fork on the Quick CX3 might fit on your bike. I'd look into that if you like how your CX fits and your only wish is for a suspension fork.

I'm a n+1'er besides that
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Hey .. I am 63 yrs old and bought THREE new bikes since March .. a REI Madrona MTB. Specialized Dolce Sport and most recently a Trek 520. Do I need them ?? No, but I sure enjoy them and I have benefited tremendously for having them. I have lost 25 lbs, toned my body as I am much stronger. To me it's an investment for my health and I am happier too. Some day .. I am going to take that Trek 520 on a tour.

To the OP .. if you WANT a new bike and can afford it .. BUY IT !!

Thanks for all the input. Lots of good thoughts and ideas.

I realized, as I read your responses, that I really don't like my Fuji. It's a good bike and I've spent lots of time (and money!) trying to make it into a bike that I will love. I've really tried to love it and to love long distance road biking, but after 3 years and about a thousand+ miles, I don't think the love is there or is coming. After my instant love affair with the Cannondale, I think I'm ready to move on.

My Univega had a front suspension fork and I loved it (why oh why did I trade it in?), but I didn't have the tendinitis problems then that I do now. That's a very good point that I need to find out if a different bike will satisfy my needs (desires). I see a rental in my future

Thanks for the suggestion about just buying a new fork. I'd thought about it but I don't know much about replacing parts/having parts replaced. That's a great idea to see if I can get a "genuine Cannondale" or other suspension fork to fit the Quick.

(N-1) +1 !!!

I had a hybrid (Specialized Ariel Sport) which I had hoped to ride both road and mountain. Unfortunately, it was not good at either.

If you mountain bike, go for either a hardtail or a full suspension mountain bike. Hardtail is cheaper and lighter.

Even though I have a full suspension Santa Cruz Juliana, I am eyeing a hardtail myself.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

To me the right number of bikes is the number you actually use regularly, whatever that is. I now have three, my go-to commuter for everyday riding and winter riding, a road bike for fun rides and summer riding, and a mtb with a front shock for trail rides, which I don't do very often but would like to get better at.

I could actually use a separate winter bike, because my commuter gets so much wear on it and breaks down in winter sometimes. But I can't really keep more than three bikes in good working condition. I had a fourth, an old one that was meant to be used as a back-up, but I ended up never using it and re-used the parts elsewhere instead. I would also love a full suspension bike at some point, but that would probably be instead of my now trail bike.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting another bike. I wouldn't go broke for it, but I went through a stage when I had 3 bikes and we had about 9 hanging around our house. Now DH and I just have 2. I would like to get a hybrid/cross for gravel riding and a cool looking mixte. But, I won't get the mixte type commuter until I move off the hill, as none of those types of bikes have enough gears for a 12% grade.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Re: Am I crazy to want another bike?

Honestly, I think a replacement fork might be costly and it wouldn't necessarily turn the Quick into a better ride than it is.

On the other hand, you could get a second hand Cannondale hardtail for an acceptable sum of money. I see decent deals all the time on Pinkbike and ebay, you could really take advantage of that if you're from the US. I love Cannondale's proprietary Fatty and Lefty forks, but you can also find them with more regular forks such as Rock Shox Recon.