Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Memorial Ride

Memorial Ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

As is closes in on the first anniversary of the murder of my ex-husband/best-friend/father-of-my-daughter, Peter Marvit, I thought it would be good for me to do a low-key memorial ride. So, I emailed a few friends who could ride the 51 or so miles I wanted to do (He was 51 years old at his death.) and gave a starting point, and convened a ride. Three of us finished about 48 miles in total -- including Deb W who so graciously brought delicious pumpkin bread to eat at the finish!

The weather couldn't have been more perfect. Peter would have approved of my outlandishly colorful jersey. I joked that he would have appreciated being considered only "48" as he was always very conscious of his age. At 21, when I met him, he would bemoan every birthday with, "At this age, Mozart already. . . " So I didn't feel bad about not quite finishing the 51 miles.

The next few days are going to be hard. The anniversary is Tuesday, September 17th. My daughter is going to school in Baltimore and I won't be able to go down to be with her. She wanted me to wait until October to visit, when she has more time. She will spend the anniversary with her step-mom.

My birthday falls two days after the anniversary. I am determined to celebrate this year. I am going to have a gathering where I finally show slides of my partner's and my bicycle trip across country last summer. I am trying to reclaim the joy in that trip and heal from what has been a rather frightful and tragic year.
    "Why walk when you can bike?"
    Luna Eclipse
    Fuji RC Supreme
    Fuji Touring
    Centurion Le Mans
    All have Selle SMP TRK saddles.
    My blog: www.thepolkadotjournal.blogspot.com

It was a beautiful day and a really nice ride. I've never met Peter Marvit, but learning about his life today make me wish I had. Thank you Pata, for sharing your memories.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

I'm so glad you had a beautiful day to ride for Peter. And I'm so happy you're finding a way forward out of this difficult year. I hope time and the love of your partner, daughter and friends continues to help you heal. Peace to you and your family.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I am so sorry I had to miss this ride. It sounds wonderful.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

What a wonderful and healing way to honor Peter's memory. I'll be thinking of you in the coming days.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I just saw this - and what a wonderful way to honor his memory! I will keep you in my thoughts in the next few days.