Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Experience with Tummy-Tuck anyone?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Old Friends! It feels like ages since I've been here. Life has been really hectic which has kept me away from the computer (and unfortunately less biking time too--but I still try and sneak in a ride once a week).

To the point:
    I am seriously considering having a tummy-tuck done in the near future. 12-13 years ago I lost over 150 pounds. I have managed to maintain that weight loss for the most part, the only exceptions being my two pregnancies. I have always wanted a tummy-tuck but have not focused on that as I was more concerned with starting a family, having babies, taking care of my children, my career, and living a healthy lifestyle.

Now my kids are old enough to brush their own teeth and wipe their own bums. I am at a place where, while it will obviously be an inconvenience financially (and not to mention the recovery time), I feel like this is something I can do. My family is very supportive of me pursuing this.

I consulted my doctor, a naturopath, and she is also supportive and thinks it will be a good thing for me. Her only suggestion was to talk to some others that have had a tummy tuck that live athletic lifestyle.

So . . . are there any TE'ers that are willing to share their experience with me? If you are more comfortable, please PM me.

I am looking at a vertical and horizontal incision, they will also be stitching my abdominal muscles back together. My doctor said that will help strengthen them . . .

Thanks!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

I'm interested in more info. on this topic, as well. After pregnancy, c-section, weight loss...I have a flap. And the thinner I am, the more flap I have. I sweat under the flap and it's really uncomfortable.

I know in some cases of significant weight loss that insurance will cover this procedure, in much the same way that breast reductions are often covered (mine was). If the primary goal of the procedure is function and not aesthetics, then it's deemed reconstructive, not cosmetic.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I don't know anything about it ... just, good to see you Limewave!!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I don't know anything about it ... just, good to see you Limewave!!
    +1. Good luck with the surgery!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

My only experience is with breast reduction surgery, all in all a wonderful improvement on my quality of life... but not without it's issues afterward. I would ask you, how do you scar? That can impact the success (athletically speaking) of the surgery. If you scar badly and are prone to adhesion (as I do) I could see where it might be rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    My only experience is with breast reduction surgery, all in all a wonderful improvement on my quality of life... but not without it's issues afterward. I would ask you, how do you scar? That can impact the success (athletically speaking) of the surgery. If you scar badly and are prone to adhesion (as I do) I could see where it might be rough.
    I can't speak for LW, but my scars are invisible. Even when I look for them they're really tough to find. A large part of that is my surgeon's work, though. One of the things he's known for is his skill in minimizing scars. The same cannot be said for my c-section scar. That thing is ugly.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I can't speak for LW, but my scars are invisible. Even when I look for them they're really tough to find. A large part of that is my surgeon's work, though. One of the things he's known for is his skill in minimizing scars. The same cannot be said for my c-section scar. That thing is ugly.
    Mine are bad because they are hypertrophic. My surgeon knew but never in her wildest dreams did she expect see the scarring I was left with. I'd do it again in a heartbeat though, because breathing and lack neck pain are more important.

Good to see you, Limewave.
    I would interview as many surgeons as you can and speak to references. While I know several people who have had gastric by-pass type stuff, none of them had plastic surgery afterwards. There must be an athletic person somewhere who has had this done!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I know a few that have had gastric bypass stuff as well. And, most of them seem to be malnourished . . . Thankfully I don't have that issue! I am concerned about having my abdominal muscles sewn together, but my doctor (not the surgeon) said that it should actually make my core stronger. I just kept picturing myself trying to do a sit-up and the stitches all popping down the middle!

I have been overweight my entire life, starting at age 4. And then I lost weight and have a saggy body. I don't know anything else. But from those I've talked to, no one has had any regrets . . .
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

If you have diastasis recti, I can see where surgically reducing the fascia between the halves of the rectus muscle would make it easier for them to do their job?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

English?
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

Oh wow! Yes, I have that crazy diastis recti thingy! No wonder I can't do ab stuff! Doing some reading on it now. Having that stitched together could actually really help with low back pain maybe?
    http://inspiredrd.com/2012/06/dear-d...-over-you.html
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

Lime, when you start doing consults, I highly encourage you to have an appt. with Dennis Hammond in GR. He's the guy who did my reduction. Amazing work. Almost a decade later and I am still so pleased with the results.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Mine are bad because they are hypertrophic. My surgeon knew but never in her wildest dreams did she expect see the scarring I was left with. I'd do it again in a heartbeat though, because breathing and lack neck pain are more important.
    Yeah, even if I had noticeable scars I'd have done it. No way would I have ever been able to run and bike with the 34DDDs I was hauling around, especially with my tiny shoulders.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Re: Experience with Tummy-Tuck anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    Oh wow! Yes, I have that crazy diastis recti thingy! No wonder I can't do ab stuff! Doing some reading on it now. Having that stitched together could actually really help with low back pain maybe?
    http://inspiredrd.com/2012/06/dear-d...-over-you.html
    I got diastasis recti when I was pregnant with my first child. I went from very skinny to huge. I still have it and it's never stopped me from ab work, but I had a co-worker who had to have hers surgically repaired. There are exercises you can do to help it.

If I were in your shoes I'd definitely go for the the tummy tuck. I think it will help you and make you feel better.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse