Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Help! Saddle sores and upcoming ride.

To disable ads, please log-in.

What to do? I'm healing from raw spots on upper leg (panty line) from 180 mile, 2 day ride 3 weeks ago. It appears the zig zag seam of my new PI shorts may have been part of the problem. I was actually raw in one spot (left rear) and close to it both right rear and two spots in front.

After searching old posts, I ordered Laniseptic from Amazon. Plastered on a bit of it and finally got back on the saddle the other day, rode only 18 miles. It felt very dry and the ride wasn't comfortable, even in areas not usually bothered. Wounded area was rather red and tender after riding.

While I realize the wounded area is very tender and will take some time for new layer of skin to toughen up, I don't know what to use right now. I do have issues with my skin being more fragile the last few years. I very easily blister on feet and hands, etc. Dr. blamed it on to aging!!!

I have a 60 mile ride day after tomorrow and am wondering what to apply. My usual is Chamois Butter and or shea butter. Do I go with the usual products that I've been using (and getting sores), but feel lubricated or the highly recommended stiff, stay in place, dry spackle of Laniseptic or something else???? I will wear my LG shorts with a much smoother seam.

My comparison of the two types of products: chamois creme = lubes for less friction between shorts and skin. Comfortable, but getting sores. Laniseptic = shorts stuck to body, so no friction created (seems that is a good thing), but seemed uncomfortable.

I'm also thinking this winter I'll be looking into fit and possible exploring yet another saddle. I've noticed that I seem to have more "damage" on the left side, which makes me wonder if there is a leg length discrepancy. I've been happy with my Spec. Jett, but maybe there is something else out there too.

Would appreciate any and all advise.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

I've used zinc ointment before, when I've had to ride with raw spots, with good results - yeah it makes a bit of a mess of your chamois, but it does wash out.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I have recently discovered that some of the tenderness of my sitting parts has to do with yeast, not bacteria, so some of the chamois creams actually aggravate the problem rather than helping it. Managing the sitting parts while not on the bike has made the biggest difference for me getting the problem under control. Going commando a lot and actively trying to keep the area dry while not riding has helped the most. (I realize this isn't practical for everyone, but it definitely helps me) Applying Gynelotrimin to the welts and bumps that form has also helped. I think our recent stretch of abnormally hot weather helped make the problem worse. I actually had to quit the STP around 150 miles because of a saddle sore so bad that it required antibiotics and nearly a month off the bike. After the wound healed I was able to ride RSVP with no ill effects--but I really had to be vigilant about keeping the sitting bits clean and dry.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Since the spots are NOT on soft tissue, you can use an actual physical barrier rather than an ointment or cream. I use liquid bandaid. It should last for a 60 mile ride, but take the cream/ointment of your choice just in case it doesn't. I sometimes use a blow dryer on low to speed up the drying. I also sometimes use actual bandaids that are marked as durable and water resistant. Apply them to dry, oil free skin, and they will stay on. I have tried blister bandaids, but they are more expensive and don't stay on any better.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Thanks ladies for all the help. I'm thinking I will go the blister pad route on the tender areas and we will see what cream combos end up on the areas between!!!

I'll let you know how it turns out! Or should I say "rubs out"??? Ouch!
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

I don't think this will help once you've already got sores, but for future reference, I just did 231 miles in three days with zero issues during or after, which is a first. I know YMMV, but what worked for me

Selle Anatomica saddle
    Lantisceptic cream as a first layer and Mad Alchemy chamois cream as a slippery second layer
    Both Rapha and GL Neo Power shorts
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Were the shorts both at the same time??? I'm assuming alternating days. I'm wearing my LG shorts tomorrow, the seam seems a little smoother and the seam is farther away from my boo boos from RSVP.

So, you really like the Selle Anatomica? Been checking their website, also Selle Smp, per above recommendations. (Don't tell DH, can't stand the eye roll!)
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

LOL! I wore them on different days

I love the Selle Anatomica. I just got a second one for my Calfee. I'm trying out an Smp Avant on my Gunnar, but the jury's still out on it, and that bike's not getting any time since I got my Kirk.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

+1 for Band Aid Blister Care!!! I had a good ride of 65 miles today and much more comfortable. Incredible! Followed the ride with a long soak in the tub to get the Blister Cares off. Boy do they stick!

Now to figure out if I need a new saddle and where to begin!
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Quote Originally Posted by smittykitty View Post
    +1 for Band Aid Blister Care!!! I had a good ride of 65 miles today and much more comfortable. Incredible! Followed the ride with a long soak in the tub to get the Blister Cares off. Boy do they stick!

Now to figure out if I need a new saddle and where to begin!
    I'm glad it helped!
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

during the Southern Tier cross country several of the women relied on daily long soaks in epsom salts for both saddle issues and sore muscles.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Just reading yesterday about all the wonderful things epsom salts are good for. Thinking I need to pick up a box.
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3