Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cat vaccines?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Did she say why the clinic doesn't offer Purevax? That would trouble me more than her being confused.

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    Did she say why the clinic doesn't offer Purevax? That would trouble me more than her being confused.
    No; they don't carry it. I'm still trying to get my head around it. I recognize that it's a rural vet and cost is often THE driver for their clients, but everything I've read suggests that Purevax is becoming the standard for discerning practices. The other vet clinic in town doesn't use it either.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I think with any doctor, including animal doctors, you have to be your own advocate. If you've been happy otherwise I wouldn't cut ties. I'd continue to use them for stuff you're comfortable with and just keep an eye on them.
    Be like Ronald Reagan!
    "Trust, but verify."
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

As a vet tech in charge of ordering, yes, Purevax is 6 times the cost of the adjuvented vaccines. It has been around at least since 2000 when I moved to my present practice. I think it was introduced mid to late '90's. In the 13 years since I joined this practice, the only fibrosarcoma we have seen was around a microchip. However, not all fibrosarcomas are vaccine induced. For instance, I have a friend whose cat had FS on it's nose. For sure no one vaccinated it there.

Thanks for perspective, newfsmith. Yes, I realize it's rare, but with a cat who has already had a lump form from a vaccine, I'm not willing to take more chances than I have to. Some vet practices only use Purevax, so I'm not alone in deciding it is the better option for my cat. My regular vet was able to secure a dose of it from another office, so I think the situation turned out okay.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher