Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Took out the Fat Bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

Fat Bikes are becoming more prevalent in our world. We bit the bullet and now are stocking a few in our shop. (Surly Pugs and Pug Ops) Naturally one needs to take them for a ride to talk intelligently about them correct

We did have a great time on this ride and will do more rides with them. I am not fond of the handlebars - to wide for me - so if I were to commit to personally owning I would probably go with a Jones Bar but I sure loved the disc brakes and the ability to roll over anything in my path
    Attachment 16676
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

They really shine on sand and snow. We have 2 in our garage, but it's only a matter of time before we add a 3rd. DS and I currently share a bike, but it's tricky when we all 3 want to ride together. For a recent trip up to Lake Superior (UP of MI) we borrowed a friend's bike for me to ride.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Re: Took out the Fat Bikes

Looks like great fun!

I chopped the stock bars on my mtb.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I'd really like to try one. If we had snow that lasted longer, easily accessible gravel roads and/or sand, I'd probably really want one. They look super fun.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I'd really like to try one. If we had snow that lasted longer, easily accessible gravel roads and/or sand, I'd probably really want one. They look super fun.
    Come move to West MI -- we have all of the above!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Come move to West MI -- we have all of the above!
    Sure, but only if I can find a house as cute as yours! I had serious envy when you posted about it.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Sure, but only if I can find a house as cute as yours! I had serious envy when you posted about it.
    They're building something similar just a few doors down -- it's a spec home and is available!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

They're building something similar just a few doors down -- it's a spec home and is available!
    I'm there! Let me just leave a note for my husband!

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Sky King - I have heard these bikes are really heavy. Did you find that was a problem at all? We are thinking of going out and renting a couple to try them out and see if I really need another bike!!
    Lucy 2012 Surly Cross Check
    Sally 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite
    Peppermint Patty 2009 Trek 4500 WSD
    Marcie 2008 Giant Sedona
    Violet 1994 Norco Kokanee

Crossing my fingers that I like it because we just bought two of the Salsa Mukluk 2.
    Waiting for mine to get here but Steve just got his last night.
    They seem lighter then I thought ,and the one I rode around (even though it's to big) felt pretty good.
    We will be testing them out as soon as mine gets in sometime this week I hope.
    I was surprised that they felt lighter then they look and on the street, grass and small amount of gravel I rode it handled good.
    The big test will be out on some trails ,dirt and I hope snow.
    Having one that fits will help ( I got the XS Steve rides a Sm.)
    We are looking forward to learning how to pack for over night trips and getting them all set up.
    It should be an adventure.

(After going in and talking to Sky King about touring we got excited ,and seeing all the great stuff they have
    in the store it gave us the bug real bad. ( Sky we are still wanting to fix up the tandem for some road touring so we will see you soon.)

I would have loved having one of these in Belize (riding on sand, cobblestone roads, rocks, etc.) except for the extreme amount of attention it would have drawn!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I would have loved having one of these in Belize (riding on sand, cobblestone roads, rocks, etc.) except for the extreme amount of attention it would have drawn!
    Yeah, there is no being antisocial on one of these things, for sure! Everyone wants to know more!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Yeah, there is no being antisocial on one of these things, for sure! Everyone wants to know more!
    And in a poor country, everyone would want to steal them...too bad, but that's the way it is. We had to be very careful even with the beach cruisers we bought from the US as they were a lot nicer than the clunky, cheap, heavy steel bikes available in Belize.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by DebSP View Post
    Sky King - I have heard these bikes are really heavy. Did you find that was a problem at all? We are thinking of going out and renting a couple to try them out and see if I really need another bike!!
    It is amazing how light they are. The one I have been riding isn't any heavier than my touring bike. I do notice the tire drag when riding on the pavement to get to the trails but they handle very well. I also would change out the handlebar to a Jones Bar if I were to keep one.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by ride4fun View Post
    Crossing my fingers that I like it because we just bought two of the Salsa Mukluk 2.
    Waiting for mine to get here but Steve just got his last night.
    They seem lighter then I thought ,and the one I rode around (even though it's to big) felt pretty good.
    We will be testing them out as soon as mine gets in sometime this week I hope.
    I was surprised that they felt lighter then they look and on the street, grass and small amount of gravel I rode it handled good.
    The big test will be out on some trails ,dirt and I hope snow.
    Having one that fits will help ( I got the XS Steve rides a Sm.)
    We are looking forward to learning how to pack for over night trips and getting them all set up.
    It should be an adventure.

(After going in and talking to Sky King about touring we got excited ,and seeing all the great stuff they have
    in the store it gave us the bug real bad. ( Sky we are still wanting to fix up the tandem for some road touring so we will see you soon.)
    You bought Salsa's - bummed Do come over and look at the Revalate bags and we will get you set up and get some racks on the tandem. The Bike Hermit will be back by next Tuesday (I hope)
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com