Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: DIY Chalk Paint

DIY Chalk Paint

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've a dresser that is sad...someone gave it to me long ago, two of the drawer pulls are missing and it just sits there in my bedroom looking at me accusingly. I really want to try Anne Sloan's Chalk Paint on it - no sanding/primer required, but $38 for a QUART? I don't think so.

This is a link that shows how to make chalk paint for yourself - a combination of flat paint + grout and voila, chalk paint. I am curious if anyone has tried this? I AM NOT very good at painting or mechanical things in general - but this looks easy enough that I am going to try it. Hopefully I can find someone to help move my dresser to the new place a couple of days prior to the main move so I can do the paint experiment in advance. Trouble is, I can't decide on a color It is a simple double dresser with no mirror and probably didn't cost much new - but there isn't anything wrong with it. Why replace it if I can give it new life this way?

I've never heard of chalk paint. Is it good for refurbishing old things because it fills in the uneven spots and sticks really well? I liked her sample project. Sounds like a good idea.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

I think so, and it doesn't require sanding or priming. Apparently the name brand chalk paint has very few fumes as well. I also have two end tables that are showing signs of wear that might benefit from this type of refurbishing

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Apparently the name brand chalk paint has very few fumes as well.
    AFAIK it's only oil-based paints that are so high in VOCs? The "recipe" starts with latex. I've never had an issue with fumes from latex paint, though I'm not *super* sensitive to chemicals.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    AFAIK it's only oil-based paints that are so high in VOCs? The "recipe" starts with latex. I've never had an issue with fumes from latex paint, though I'm not *super* sensitive to chemicals.
    This is really good to know, my asthma can be very sensitive to fumes. The more I think about this, the more I am excited about trying it. My end-tables are just pressed board (basically), but I like the design and if I can spruce them up then I won't need to replace them and will tie my living room together better. It is the dresser that has me a bit nervous - but I am going to go for it! It will cost less than a quart of the name-brand Chalk Paint and that is with a gallon of flat paint - though perhaps I won't need to buy that much. I will take before/after pictures

I've painted a few things with AS Chalk paint and home made. The home made can be a bit lumpy, you have to mix in the grout for a long time. The AS paint is a dream to use, clean up is really easy, and it sticks to almost everything (not to paint repellant ikea furniture). The only down side for me is chalk paint has a chalky texture when it dries so is most often waxed and the wax is smelly. Hope this helps.

Re: DIY Chalk Paint

I've never seen IKEA furniture, I assume it is pressed wood? Are you saying the.Chalk paint wouldn't stick to it?

yep, chalk paint won't stick to it.

Re: DIY Chalk Paint

Darn...well at least the dresser has real wood

I've done a couple projects with AS Chalk Paint. Yes, of course a bit spendy, sorta like cycling!!!! I was able to buy a couple of the real small jars of paint. The wax was also spendy, but will last a life time.

I don't recall any smells at all. It was really easy and I was really impressed with the results. I chose two colors. It was fun when I started rubbing the second layer of paint off to expose the first color. It was an old piece of stained and shellacked furniture. The paint really doesn't need any prep at all! It was really kinda hard to mess up!!!

I think its a good way to go with old furniture, that you can't make any worse anyway!!! Both pieces are back in living areas, they were both previously stashed away! Give it a try. Have fun.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Thanks for your input Smittykitty. I've read that quart goes a LONG way...