Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ahhhhh to sleep...

To disable ads, please log-in.

To sleep...perchance to dream That sounds SO good, but I am dealing with some pretty strong insomnia - waking up every hour on the hour although I am not all that tired during the day. I turn off all electronics long before bed, I do need to stop reading in bed though. My bedroom is as dark as dark can be, I even cover my alarm clock so the light can't be seen. I really think it is stress and related to things that I can do very little about.

I am considering trying melatonin - has anyone here had success with it? If I could just get some good sleep I think that would make it much easier to deal with my stress - between my mom's illness and preparing to move it is a bad combination. If I can't find some relief soon I will see my doctor - but I really don't want prescription sleeping pills and I think a lot of those are bad if you have asthma anyway.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Meditation and yoga work for me. It takes practice, though, and is not an instant skill. I wish you best. Insomnia can be debilitating.

I sleep better after yoga, but I agree it's not an instant fix. Melatonin doesn't work for me, but I suspect I haven't tried a large enough dose. If you do try it, you might do a bit of research on dosage and timing. I have used Benadryl during some phases where I've had trouble staying asleep. It won't keep me from waking up, but it makes it easier to fall back asleep.

Longterm, you might look into meditation or more fully commit to a regular yoga practice. I know you've struggled with insomnia and excess stress in the past. It may benefit you to explore some new avenues for stress relief. I know exercise helps, but it sounds like it might not be enough.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Ahhhhh to sleep...

My partner uses it and swears by it. Doesn't do a thing for me.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I have had bad insomnia for many years so I feel for you. The other night I did not get even 1 minute of sleep...ugh. I have tried melatonin without much luck. My Dr also had me try ambien which did not work either. I hope you find something that works. Good luck.

I use melatonin occasionally and find it helpful. Yoga is helpful, but as others have pointed out, it's not a quick fix.

My 20's were actually far more stressful than anything in my current life, and that includes my mother's final stage cancer. In THOSE years I took up writing to deal with the stress and it helped a great deal. I am considering using that approach again, but THIS time I will hook up with a real-life writer's group. I tend to isolate myself when under stress and I need to find a way to reap the benefits of writing without falling for the temptation to cut myself off from people. I do not write all of the time, but when I do I write fantasy/mystery/speculative fiction. Now, I am not saying that I am any good at it, but it is a good way to let go of things - and it works far better for me than traditional journaling.

I've been reading about different behavioral ways of addressing this type of insomnia, I think I will start going to bed later for now but still get up at the same time. Perhaps if I am more tired when I go to bed that I will have better luck at staying asleep. We will see. I am not aware of being very tired during the day, but I can tell I am not quite as "on my game" as I really should be. Stress + sleep deprivation will do that for a woman. In my early life I learned how to deal with massive levels of stress for long time periods - and I CAN do that - but it isn't good for a body. Or mind. Or anything else. I remember those days and have no desire to go back there again.
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-04-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Benadryl is fantastic. I fall asleep easier, sleep better, get back to sleep easier if I wake up, and--best of all--have none of that drugged feeling the next day that I get from anything else I've tried. I take it two or three nights a week, and it has made a huge difference. I even sleep better on the nights I don't take it, as it seems to have broken the insomnia cycle.

I use melatonin occasionally.

Are you getting enough natural light during the daytime, especially early morning? Dark at night is only half of the equation of getting your body to produce enough of its own melatonin. When I worked in an office without windows, full spectrum bulbs did wonders for my sleep quality.

FWIW, Benadryl gives me an awful hangover. I do use chlorpheniramine occasionally, mostly as a bedtime antihistamine, but it really knocks me out too and wears off in four to six hours.

I'll use herbal sleep aids now and then, also. Most of them are made with some combination of valerian, hops and scullcap. I don't get any side effects from any of those (though the smell of valerian is a little hard to take).
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 09-03-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I am leery of any antihistamine related product because of my asthma. I may have no problems with it most of the time, but I've been warned off of them by all of my docs.

Good point about AM daylight. I do have an office with a large window...that is west facing and there is a screen on the outside to help conserve energy. Perhaps I should make a point to at least stroll around the block for a morning or lunch break to get a little sun...

Oak, any recommendations on teas/mixtures you have found useful?

Crankin and Indy, I've been reading about the dosing for melatonin and have decided that I probably should consult with my dr. on the right dose. I am less open to experimentation than I may have once been.
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-04-2013 at 03:47 AM.

Several of my clients have had success with it. I do recommend that you have your doctor prescribe/suggest a dosage, even though you don't need a prescription. Don't take the advice of the health food store clerk. The psychiatrist I work with actually writes a presription for people. Some people need a lot more than others to work.
    I use Benedryl if I am really having issues sleeping after a few nights, but it does give me a hangover. And I take children's liquid form, as one regular capsule might kill me, it makes me so groggy.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Oak, any recommendations on teas/mixtures you have found useful?
    What I use most often is Solaray brand "Sleep" blend. Hyland's Calms Forté got me through the bar exam, and that's the one DH uses most often these days.

Valerian is so unpleasant smelling that I shudder to think of drinking it in a tea. Chamomile and lavender are traditional soothing teas. Not quite as potent as some of the capsules, though.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    What I use most often is Solaray brand "Sleep" blend. Hyland's Calms Forté got me through the bar exam, and that's the one DH uses most often these days.

Valerian is so unpleasant smelling that I shudder to think of drinking it in a tea. Chamomile and lavender are traditional soothing teas. Not quite as potent as some of the capsules, though.
    Thanks Oakleaf, I will see if I can find a local source, I think this is better than taking a hormone, I will see my dr if it doesn't help. Going to bed later last night appeared to have helped somewhat, I only woke 3 times

my standard herbal remedy for sleep is warm milk with honey and sage. I take a couple of whole sage leaves and heat them with the milk,muddling them a bit and then adding honey to taste. Another good soporific is tomatoe soup with a lashing of cream- something about whatever it is that makes tomatoes healthy (vitamin C) and a touch of fat on the intestine seems to help me into a tupor.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Marni - that sounds interesting, thanks!