Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How so you prepare your kale?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Kale has always been one of my favourite vegetables, however i usually ate it cooked. I just started making kale salads. I've been mixing equal parts basalmic vinegar and olive oil for a drsg and massaging that onto the kale to break it down a bit, then add whatever fresh veggies I have in the fridge. Sometimes I add a can of mixed beans to the salad. I prefer a kale salad over a lettuce salad. With kale you actually feel like your eating food.....not "diet" food.
    I make kale chips, and in my house they get devoured instantly. Everyone loves them.
    How do you prepare kale?
    No pressure No diamonds

When I have access to good fresh seafood I like to bake fish over greens. It needs to be a thinner filet of quick-cooking fish so the fish and greens will be done at about the same time. I use a pan that will go from stovetop to oven - sauté some garlic in olive oil, then add the greens and sauté to wilt them - stir in a little salt and pepper, then put the fish right on top, sprinkle with paprika and put it in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes until the fish is done. Yum.

I love massaged kale salad too, though I prefer lemon juice and walnut oil for the dressing.

When it gets cool enough for winter soups, we put greens in just about everything.

Caterpillars got all my lacinato kale this year. Still have plenty of red Russian kale though, which is really my favorite.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Re: How so you prepare your kale?

Sausage bean and kale soup. Other than that sauteed.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Chips, especially with smoked paprika or one of the freebie red-pepper-based spice mixes we get from Penzeys. I really like the little hint of heat and the kale stands up well to the flavor.

I like raw kale salad as well-- usually I'll slice red onion as thin as I can and soak that in cider vinegar/a little salt for 30 min or so (make quick pickled onion), then put that with my kale, orange sections, some kind of semi-dry white cheese (ricotta salata, feta, etc), walnuts and raisins. Tasty, tasty, and I really like citrus with kale. It gets better over the course of a couple days (although then I save the walnuts to add later so they stay crunchy). Sometimes I'll use toasted sesame seeds in place of the walnuts also, I like having something a little crunchy, texture-wise.

I'll throw it in stir fry, or have sausages with kale/onions/peppers, or soup-- it's getting towards soup season here and I LOVE making stock/soup.

Re: How so you prepare your kale?

Unsure that raw kale is easily accessible to the body, I know that some greens are not. Baby kale may be different.

I either sautee kale or make kale-chip-crack from it. Lacinto kale makes especially good chips!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Unsure that raw kale is easily accessible to the body!
    If you mean the tough cell walls, that's the beauty of massaging it. You mechanically break the cell walls, so it's as easily digestible as cooked greens, with all the nutritional benefits of raw.

If you mean the oxalic acid, I'm not sure that's a reason to avoid raw greens (or beets, carrots, etc.), just not to OD on them.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My favorite kale salad: 1 head kale + juice of 1 lemon + 1 avocado + sea salt. Massage all together and yum!
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I either saute it with a little garlic and lemon juice, add it to soups, or make a kale and potato gratin (just found the recipe this year and it is really good!).
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

sauteed and tossed with white beans, pasta and whatever else I have on hand, or massaged and made into a salad with quinoa, chickpeas, feta etc.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

shred kale (any variety) mix with 1 or 2 Tbs lemon juice, add a big handful of sunflower seed and cottage cheese to sort of bind it together. Great on hot,
    muggy, summer evenings.

I like mine sauteed in bacon fat or olive oil with some garlic (and crumbled bacon mixed in after cooking), in soup, sauteed in oil with mustard seeds, garlic, a bit of lemon juice and red pepper flakes. I tried something last year with garam masala and coconut, but I ran out of garam masala so I haven't been able to try it again.

It's also tasty cooked with sausage for breakfast. Mmm.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...