Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

We live halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento, with a couple of low mountain ranges in between. Totally different weather here, more Central Valley than coast!

Yeah, kids are just little germ factories. I've got a couple who are incessant washers and hand sanitizers, but most are not.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I had a cold the second week of school this year. My kids (5th grade) love to hug me as they leave each day. Not all of them, but 4 or 5 everyday.

My classroom itself makes me ill. The humidity at my house is usually right around 28%. I live 1.2 driving miles from my school. The humidity in my classroom is 55%. It's gross. The air in my room just feels thick! I know that's not high compared to where some of you are.

Hope you feel better soon, RNRG!

Veronica
    wOw .. your home humidity is very low. I have 5 tropical fish tanks in my bedroom for the past three years. Prior to having them there the humidity was low, wake up with congestion etc. Those symptoms have disappeared and I went 2 1/2 years without even a cold .. until I was scheduled to visit my daughter in S.C. .. yep caught a cold the week before (but it was very mild and gone just before leaving :0)

I suspect the reason isn't too low .. or too high but your constant daily change from one to the other. Your body is in constant adjustment mode and why you get sick easier. I would up the humidity in your home.

48F and breezy this morning, woohoo! It was a struggle at first to keep to a long run sort of pace, but after 3 miles I felt like I had settled in to a pace I could maintain all day. Went 8.5 miles, and could easily have kept going, but my hands and butt were numb from the cold, so I went home and warmed up. I love fall!

I passed 1,000 miles for the year today.

I did a workout that was basically half of the one I was doing the day I got hurt a year and a half ago this week: 4 x mile @ half marathon pace or slightly faster, with 1 minute rest intervals. Half, only because it's the shape I'm in now, and I'm only looking at a non-goal half marathon at the moment. It felt so easy I almost decided to do more, but I'm pretty sure I'd pay for it tomorrow if I did, and I really didn't want to tear myself up at this point. There'll be plenty of time for sore in the spring.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Funny you all should be talking about humidity - I sure missed the west coast humidity today.

I did 3 miles per my plan on Friday here in FL and it was OK. It was at about 6 pm, so kinda hot but I had plenty of shade on my route. I didn't really get over-heated until about 2.5 miles, so it was survivable. Oddly enough, the humidity allowed me to run it comfortably without water where I always have a really dry mouth at home after 3 miles.

Today I did my long run - 10 miles. It felt like 20! Holy hell...it sucks running here. I was out there by 7:30 but it really didn't matter. 92F and 88% humidity. Half my route was in the sun without shade and I was seriously wilted. I parked in the middle, ran 2.5 miles in one direction and then turned around and then 2.5 miles in the other direction and back again. That allowed me to keep cold water at the car to cool off and resupply at the half-way point. I should have run it the other way around though because direction one was shadier than direction two (lesson learned for next time!). At 8 miles, I really wasn't sure I was going to finish and I started walking in the tiny shade spots to try and cool down a bit. Oddly enough, my overall pace pretty much matched the pace I do at home for long runs, even with all that walking. I was thinking it was running on flats vs hills, but really, I think it's running on an uninterrupted MUP vs running on sidewalks with lots of traffic lights.

I will say that I've never been so glad to be done with a run as I was today!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Veronica, get a humidifier for your bedroom!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Did another 3.5 mile run here in FL. All this exercise down here on this trip has shown me that clearly my body is still capable of copious amounts of sweat! I am quite literally, dripping.

Weather forecast for Sunday's 11 mile run at home is 65F and dry. I can't wait (never thought I'd be saying that about a run!).

Had an appt so I had to get up and moving on my day off. Headed out for my 6 mile run just before the sun rose fully over the horizon so not do hot and sunny. I think it is a bit less humid/muggy. We in FL savor any decrease in humidity and the cooler (although only slight) mornings. I felt pretty good, still slow, still with walk breaks, but felt a bit stronger and pace picked up just a tad bit.
    Heading to Tennessee with my folks on Thursday. Not sure if I'll be able to escape for a run or not but packed the shoes and one running outfit. Sure would love a cool morning run (plus some hills )
    K
    katluvr

Still plenty humid here, but it's cooling off. I did a nice 12-miler today and didn't have too much trouble keeping the pace up. I'm starting to get some enthusiasm for the half next month.

I overslept this morning (can't believe the cats let their breakfast be late!) so I missed out on my run. It's supposed to rain this evening and tomorrow, too...

There's a plethora of races around here this weekend. In my city, there's a mud run (not interested), a cross-country 5K (with the rain, it will likely be a mud run too) and a road 5k. Seems like all the surrounding towns have 5ks Saturday too. I was considering the XC; it's the same course that hosted a NCAA race last weekend. But not in the rain!

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Not a whole lot of running for me, but what I have done has been top notch in quality. I went to southern Utah to ride the White Rim with my buddy whose TE initials are SK and then we went over to Fruita, Colorado for a day of running around on the trails there. This is my buddy enjoying Steve's trail. I love running in beautiful places.

I might do an adventure run either this Sunday or next weekend, to the top of Kings Peak, the highest point in Utah. It will all depend on the chances for t-storms!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	run-SK-run.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	16704

Did 3 miles on Thursday on the treadmill before a really long day on my feet. Then on Friday, I ran outside with a coworker before leaving for the airport. Managed 3.5 miles before my feet screamed at me to stop. ;-)

Tomorrow is my next long run (11 miles) and the weather should be interesting. 58 F and 70% chance of rain.

I did that fifth mile repeat today (along with the first four, again). I drove up to the farmers' market in the rain, and did the repeats on the nearby trail, so I had a nice flat place to run - just a very slight incline on the outbound direction. I ran pretty even splits, which made me happy.

It's a magnificent morning here, 51F with a cloudless sky when I went out running. I started with mittens on, then took them off, then put them back on, etc. 6 miles took me through part of the university campus, so I had the fun of effortlessly passing runners half my age. Also got passed by runners my age or older too. There were a lot of us out there before 7 am!

I had a kind of insight yesterday. Or maybe a "duh" moment. About how to approach Columbus.

All along I'd been thinking I'd just show up and have a good time since it's neither a goal race nor part of a training plan.

But what it is, is an opportunity to hunt for my current limit without penalty. I can go out a little harder than I think is really wise. Maybe I set a PR. Maybe I blow up and have to jog or walk the last two or three miles, and learn what it feels like to approach blowing up. Either way, it's all good.

skhill, the mittens on/off is why I love my convertible gloves. http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodHI_90299.html I do find that I have to keep a finger hooked in the mitt so it doesn't flap around if I slip them off, but that's no big deal - my hands cool off and the one finger gets enough ventilation.